Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 12-28-2014, 11:28 PM   #1
CanBot
Cybertron
Tips on selling TF's on ebay? MISB?

Hi there, just getting ready to put some stuff up on the bay. A lot of my bots are sealed in box...I'd say 'mint', but the boxes aren't mint. They've got shelf scuffs, that kinda thing. Some of them are quite good though.

My question is how to protect against the dinkwads out there who buy such items, then swap out the pristine figure inside for their broken (slightly or otherwise) TF? I'm hoping not to jinx myself, but the nature of these is that if they open them, it's theirs. I can't vouch for TFs that have been in a box for, in some cases, 5 years. Most of the batteries are still working, but for the ones that aren't, I'm totally up front with that. And if some real arsehole out there wants to do a swap trade-up, is there really any defence? I'm thinking about taking lots of pics and video, but do you guys have some more advice?

Thanks again!
Old 12-28-2014, 11:41 PM   #2
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions
Re: Tips on selling TF's on ebay? MISB?

Unless the boxes are in pristine condition I wouldn't call them mint in box but I would call them sealed in box. I'd suggest taking a picture of the seals as proof they are sealed in box. I'd also recommend restricting shipping to the continental USA and Canada.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:16 AM   #3
Megatron75
Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkamanraiden View Post
I'd also recommend restricting shipping to the continental USA and Canada.
I think that this is very good advice. If you don't mind me asking...what's your eBay name? I wouldn't mind checkout out what you have.
Megatron75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:45 AM   #4
Dangard Ace
Masterpiece

I'd call them mint if you never touched the toys. We're grading the toys not the boxes. Just be upfront if there's any visible dings/shelfware on the box that would have collectors up in arms.

I've always gone by these terms when selling.
http://zehobby.blogspot.ca/2012/07/c...b-mib-and.html

Protect yourself by taking lots of pictures of the seals on the the box or pictures of the toy through the boxes window showing it still twist tied/banded whatever.

Er....how do you know the batteries are dead? Those toys have the window cutout where you could play with the sounds? If you took them out they're not MISB anymore. They're MIB or BIB now.

Last edited by Dangard Ace; 12-29-2014 at 03:04 AM.
Dangard Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:48 AM   #5
alternatorfan
g1 baby

Take the pictures although I personally don't think there are scammers like that but better to be safe than sorry
I have never had something like that happen to me although I sent a package to Asia and the guy said he didn't receive it and he did cause canada post delivered it but paypal sided with the guy and I lost out on $500 + dollars that was quite awhile ago
I believe there are scammers like that just make sure you have the right tracking or stick with Us and Canada
alternatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:23 AM   #6
choomama
Generation 2

You can also specify only bidders with a minimum of say 30 positive feedback can bid/purchase.
choomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:27 AM   #7
justprime
Animated

Mint normal shelf wear .. all sales are final .
if pics what you see is what you get put tracking or signature prevents charge backs by PayPal visa ..proof it's being delivered..send to PayPal mailing address.
if the byers unscrupulous insure package against loss damages take pic of package being sent
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:30 AM   #8
justprime
Animated

Sorry ment to say send to buyers address that's on PayPal statement not a different location buyer could say never received it then you out of pocket with no backup
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:51 PM   #9
CanBot
Cybertron

I know the difference between SIB and MISB, these would most likely be SIB, as the boxes aren't what I would consider 'mint' (although some are) but some are quite minty fresh.

Since most of these have electronics, the way I tell about the batteries is the demo. I've only had one not work (movie Devastator), so I broke the seal and removed the batteries. There was no leak damage, the batteries just died.

I'm just worried about somebody getting the item, swapping out the bot with theirs and telling me I sent them something broken. I guess they don't have a case if it's not sealed, but the SIB stuff is tricky.

You can say, 'no returns' all you like but paypal will side with the buyer in almost all cases. If they say it doesn't work, then you'll be forced to either take it back or worse, refund the money and the buyer keeps it. I'm not certain that 'all sales final' means that if the buyer says there's a problem. The nature of sealed means that they buy whatever I have, but they open it, find out some manufacturing mishap occurred and then complain to paypal that I sold them something broken. Even if it was never opened before, I don't think that ebay's 100% guarantee will cover me. I've read too many things that point otherwise. But it's dealing with the devil, really...and I'm sure there's asses out there who sell stuff that IS broken. I've returned something twice just recently myself, but because I didn't file an actual complaint within the time limit, it's now up to the sellers good graces to follow through. All I can do is give him a bad feedback, and that doesn't really mean much to some of these guys with less than 100% in the first place.

I've sold used items before, and was upfront with any damages. All was packaged well and it went smooth. But with TF stuff, I'm a bit more worried. I only stick to continental USA, but Canada Post will only track to the border. They're expensive as it is, and if you add tracking to the USA you're increasing the shipping cost for the buyer as well (which ultimately impacts what they're willing to pay in the first place).

Thanks for the tips, guys.

Last edited by CanBot; 12-31-2014 at 01:55 PM.
CanBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:16 PM   #10
Deception
Crossover

honestly i wouldn't use SIB, i believe it would be easier to sell if you label it MISB. i'm not a box collector though, usually if the figure is mint which it should be i'm happy enough. MISB is 'mint in sealed box' so generally people are just looking for a mint figure right.

Last edited by Deception; 01-02-2015 at 12:18 PM.
Deception is offline   Reply With Quote