Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 06-22-2014, 11:05 PM   #1
HybridHero
Generation 1
Tips and Tricks for Selling at TFCon

I've decided this year that in an effort to clear space I would get a table at TFCon. I go every year as a customer, but have never experienced it as a dealer. Does anyone have any tips, tricks or advice on what to do/expect? Anything at all would help.

Thanks!
HybridHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:11 PM   #2
Dragon Knight
Geass'd
Re: Tips and Tricks for Selling at TFCon

Putting up a sales thread in advance and stating that you can bring to the show usually helps.

Also I would probably suggest either exchanging phone numbers with the buyer and/or describing what you'll be wearing to that day.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:34 PM   #3
Slayback
Animated

Watch your stuff. Bring a friend or make friends with your neighbor -otherwise bring a pee bottle/bucket.

Bring food.
Thermos with something hot and refreshing. Not coffee unless you want it to tear through you.
I actually make soup. Miso. its refreshing and gives a little bit of energy that isnt all sugary.

have fun. Dont worry about what other people are selling - just sell your stuff.

feedback :http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=31815
Slayback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:40 PM   #4
FEZaid
Arabian Knight

If you have a complete figure, put it in a ziplock bag to keep track of it and not loose any accessories.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:21 AM   #5
RageD
Energon

Price things to sell, not to sit there looking pretty.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:23 AM   #6
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

I love vendoring at events, one day I will at TFcon

Biggest thing I'd say is be prepared to haggle. It might be something to take into account before setting prices.

Might be wise to take a look at what the key items are that you want to sell and then take a spin around the convention on the Friday night at set up and see what they are going for from other vendors.

Worst thing is to sit there all weekend expecting to sell something only to realize belatedly that everyone else was selling it for less, thus taking business you could have had.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:08 PM   #7
CyberMnky
Animated

I helped a buddy sell stuff a few years back. Be prepared to haggle, be friendly, call over kids and act overly excited - it gets them worked up, Offer deals, watch for the people that stop by over and over and chat them up...

I managed to sell a bunch of my buddy's stuff and I am well known for being a grumpy jackass, so if I could do it you can too.

If you are reading this then you must be bored...

CyberMnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:31 PM   #8
jtkv
Robot Master

Here's a buyers tip:
Offer reasonable prices! :-)
For Sale List thread
jtkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:37 PM   #9
laffy
Crossover

One BIG TIP trust me this works... put all lose and complete toys in a large ziplock bag and punch a hole in the middle under the strip that locks than feed a long (size of table)fishing line (5 pound test works best) though all the holes and display the figures attach one end of the line to one side of table and you can attach the other end of the line to the other side of table so that when you sell one you can cut the ziplock bag free or ive seen people make hoops though the zip lock bag and than just cut the hoop off saving the bag from getting cut.... Trust me this is the best way to display them well keeping the one handed bandit away.....
laffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:47 PM   #10
Goaliebot
All Makes and Models

Please put prices on things. I am twice as likely to buy if I can see price tags.

Price reasonably. You're not going to get above retail on loose DOTM or common CHUG figures. Nor above retail + tax for toys still easily found at retail. I fully expect to see $15 Beast Hunters Deluxes, and I completely expect to see them not sell all day.

Try to make deals, especially for multiple figures to one buyer. If you price as low as you can go, say that up front and don't be insulted if someone still tries to make a deal - just politely decline.

Try not to act grumpy or annoyed at buyers. I know it must be tough especially at the end if the day, but try.

Have a partner at your table. Necessary for toilet and food breaks and for help with transactions.

Take a bag full of plastic grocery bags - always appreciated by buyers.

Be prepared for a TON of looky-loos. But those same people may come back later to buy.

Please don't scalp MP03 Grimlock for $200. I know I'm going to see a ton of him there at that price and it's a pisser (and i'm not even looking for one, I've got my older TRU one).

As the day or weekend winds down, if you want it all gone then slash your prices.
Goaliebot is offline   Reply With Quote