Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-10-2022, 05:01 PM   #11
CyberDragon10K
Predacon Rising
Re: How much would you pay for your grail/chase figure?

I've already spent several hundred on the single instance of shiny cardboard that is a Yu-Gi-Oh! card, so spending similar for an actual plastic collectible should be about the same.

Hell if I know what it is I'd call my grail though. I'm mostly waiting for the excess Legacy Galvatron stock to go on sale and for Swoop/Snarl to release in SS86 to finish off the Dinobots at this point.
CyberDragon10K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 05:22 PM   #12
WereDragon EX
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDragon10K View Post
I've already spent several hundred on the single instance of shiny cardboard that is a Yu-Gi-Oh! card, so spending similar for an actual plastic collectible should be about the same.

Hell if I know what it is I'd call my grail though. I'm mostly waiting for the excess Legacy Galvatron stock to go on sale and for Swoop/Snarl to release in SS86 to finish off the Dinobots at this point.

Out of random curiosity, and as a big Yu-Gi-Oh! player myself, what card was that?
WereDragon EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 05:39 PM   #13
alternatorfan
g1 baby

Paid $2000 for complete g1 overlord my grail piece.
alternatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 06:56 PM   #14
timcrook
Cybertron

MSRP.
Old 10-10-2022, 07:08 PM   #15
Digibasherx
Robot in Disguise

I backed Haslab Unicron, so that's probably the most expensive grail piece I currently own. I probably would guess that's the upper limit for a grail that I would pay for.
Digibasherx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 09:18 PM   #16
canprime
Nexus Maximus
canprime's Ebay Auctions

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"

"One MILLION DOLLARS!"

Ok cheesy movie lines out of the way....

I don't really have grails anymore. I have owned, or own, lots of high priced, or rare items. They are great, but generally they all fall to the all mighty dollar, or rather what I can get for them versus what I paid.

I have a couple of Haslabs, with more on the way. Both versions of Hot Toys' Hulkbusters, etc. I don't have a lot of "vintage" items anymore. I have a bunch of reissues from different lines, and updated "vintage" lines.(G1 reissues, GI Joe retro, MOTU:O, etc.) So much has been reissued, or updated that I don't find the value anymore in vintage items, especially with the years taking more and more of a toll on them (GPS, broken thumbs/heels, plastic cancer, etc). So why would I want to buy something for a lot of money that is fragile, or likely already broken before it gets out of the package?

So long story short, I won't shy away from a high priced item, but it most likely won't be vintage, but rather new, and something I really like and consider worth the expense.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 04:59 PM   #17
CyberDragon10K
Predacon Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereDragon EX View Post
Out of random curiosity, and as a big Yu-Gi-Oh! player myself, what card was that?
Overpaying for an Ultimate Rare Cyber Dragon from the OTS packs much closer to when OP16 (or whichever pack it was highlighted in) was circulating in tournament stores.

I ended up buying a 2nd Ultimate Rare copy eventually for much closer to current market pricing, and a Ghost Rare Cyber Dragon from for similar.
CyberDragon10K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 06:01 PM   #18
Solauren
Generation 1

With me, probably not alot. At this point, for stuff that's not a new release, it's mainly old Micromasters I'm looking for, and the odd other thing.

I mean, my local store has (N)MIB transformers there, including ones that are jaw-droppers they have them, but I haven't picked them up.
Solauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 08:21 PM   #19
Patate
Generation 2

I'll maybe pay MSRP + 50% more if I really like something.

I started collecting a bit less than 2 years now and I'm having a bit of fatigue already and the most important thing: I'm not a completionist. So I'm happy to get something cool if I can but no Transformers really matters to me.
Patate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 02:40 PM   #20
VicRav
Machine War

I try to avoid holding any figure in too high a regard. I won't go much above MRSP. There is a small number of recent retail figures that I paid more for:

- SS86 Gnaw - preorder didn't come through with Gamestop and could not get a hold of him anywhere. Managed to get him for about $50 after shipping costs were factored in. He did feel like more of grail character, as I didn't have a sharkticon in my collection at that point.

- That Dirge/Ramjet two pack. Got it from Toysnowman after Amazon failed. The markup was relatively small when compared to how rare this two pack became.

There are figures that I am on the hunt for that are more rare, but if I can't luck out find a decent deal on them I will just continue patiently hoping something comes along. This is also why I will pretty much never buy MISB figures outside of retail. MISB often inflates the price and it doesn't offer any value for me when I want to take figures out of the package and transform them.
VicRav is offline   Reply With Quote