Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews > Transformers Video Reviews

Old 11-15-2022, 05:01 PM   #1
GotBot
Nexus Maximus
Studio Series 86 Arcee

This time we look at the latest iteration of the regal First Lady of Transformers with Studio Series '86 Arcee. She has had her own controversies and while sporting a close to animation deco, there was a little room to add a few touchups!*

https://youtu.be/_TPHGRqldt0
GotBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 05:11 PM   #2
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions
Re: Studio Series 86 Arcee

She's great. Improved on the already excellent T30 mold and y'know, actually transforms.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 05:20 PM   #3
alternatorfan
g1 baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
She's great. Improved on the already excellent T30 mold and y'know, actually transforms.
Not really better than kingdom.
The conection at the torso is severly loose.
Floppy on 86.
alternatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 05:42 PM   #4
evenstaves
you renegade maverick

Man I should really get around to opening mine, I guess
evenstaves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 06:01 PM   #5
Marcotron
Robot Master

Am I the only one who really likes the black details of the T30 figure? Even compared to the Takara T30 version, I still prefer the colouring of the T30. The SS86 just has too much pink and white.

This is the first time I've seen the transformation of SS86, and I gotta say, they made it more of a shellformer than T30. On the T30, you had at least the thighs becoming a part of the car. On the SS86, it's just the chest that becomes the front bumper.

Kingdom version is not even in this conversation. Had I never found the T30 version like 7 years ago for double the price of a standard deluxe because it never actually made it to Canada, then ya, I would be all over this SS86 version. Nowadays, that's the actual retail price of it... But I digress...
I got my Arcee years ago, and they haven't made a better one yet.
Even the MP version doesn't have it perfect yet. I want the backback to look like the character has those pylons on the back, not a chunk of car. But that's just my ideal Arcee.
Marcotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 06:21 PM   #6
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternatorfan View Post
Floppy on 86.
I don't have any issues on my SS86 Arcee. She looks better overall, and she doesn't have a removable backpack to transform, and her alt mode is stable. Kingdom is FINE if all you want is for Arcee to be an action figure, but it's not a patch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcotron View Post
Am I the only one who really likes the black details of the T30 figure? Even compared to the Takara T30 version, I still prefer the colouring of the T30. The SS86 just has too much pink and white.

This is the first time I've seen the transformation of SS86, and I gotta say, they made it more of a shellformer than T30. On the T30, you had at least the thighs becoming a part of the car. On the SS86, it's just the chest that becomes the front bumper.
You're absolutely correct that the transformation isn't quite as good, but it's satisfying and solid.

I am with you. I loved the black highlights on T30 Arcee. Didn't like the "animation deco" Takara did of the mold. And if I still had T30 Arcee I don't know that I would have bothered with SS86 either.

Old 11-16-2022, 10:45 AM   #7
Skorpulator
Armada

Quote:
Floppy on 86.
No issues here. 86 is way better than Kingdom.
Skorpulator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 11:04 AM   #8
GotBot
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Floppy on 86.
While I mention how that could be an issue with a bad tolerance, mine is flawless and tight. If anything, the ab crunch is a nice touch. However, a lot seems to be based on tolerance friction and if yours is off then I could see how that would lead to floppiness.

Quote:

Kingdom version is not even in this conversation. Had I never found the T30 version like 7 years ago for double the price of a standard deluxe because it never actually made it to Canada, then ya, I would be all over this SS86 version. Nowadays, that's the actual retail price of it... But I digress...
I got my Arcee years ago, and they haven't made a better one yet.
Even the MP version doesn't have it perfect yet. I want the backback to look like the character has those pylons on the back, not a chunk of car. But that's just my ideal Arcee.
I liked the black and reference it. That said, I am a stickler for animation accuracy, which the 86 does nicely, not perfectly, but nicely. Hence why I added a few key paint apps and show her next to the animation model. I agree about the transformation though. T30 feels more...involved, if that's the right word to use.
GotBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 03:07 PM   #9
Marcotron
Robot Master

Exactly.
The knock on Kingdom Arcee was, if you take the car off, you still have a robot. It's a total shell former.
The SS86, they just added more panels to the T30 to make it more of a shellformer.
T30 wins. So, thank you to whoever I bought it from at TFcon 2016(?)

The only version to get close to nailing the shoulder pylons is Azalea. I think FansToys is ok too, but it's just not quite perfect (not that I can afford an FT anything). Arcee doesn't have a car on her back, she has shoulder pylons. The car should fold up better.
Marcotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 03:14 PM   #10
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Exactly.
The knock on Kingdom Arcee was, if you take the car off, you still have a robot. It's a total shell former.
The SS86, they just added more panels to the T30 to make it more of a shellformer.
T30 wins. So, thank you to whoever I bought it from at TFcon 2016(?)

The only version to get close to nailing the shoulder pylons is Azalea. I think FansToys is ok too, but it's just not quite perfect (not that I can afford an FT anything). Arcee doesn't have a car on her back, she has shoulder pylons. The car should fold up better.
You do realize that RC's character model is one of the most cheaty models of all time right?

There is essentially no physical way for her car to turn into her robot mode which is a lady with shoulder pylons. Even the masterpiece couldn't really mail this one.

I agree that t30 is still the overall better toy but looking at the animation model of demanding that a physical plastic representation do that is literally asking for something that isn't possible.