Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Canadian Transformers News

Old 07-24-2016, 02:49 PM   #11
Aernaroth
Metroplex
Re: Transformers: The Movie (1986) - Theatre Showing in Toronto - Tuesday, August 16t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iacon View Post
Hmmm... that could actually be a dealbreaker for me... was it constant chatter or just a light sprinkling...?

I mean, I have no problem with moderate audience participation... when it's actually *funny*... but it's really starting to piss me off when people try to star in their own version of MST3K just be yelling out all the old flaws that *everybody* knows ("Where's Snarl?!" "Wreck-Gar's lips aren't moving!" yeah yeah... we know... those aren't even jokes)
I don't remember it being that bad, though I do seem to recall people singing along with the songs or following some of the major lines. I remember a lot of applause though.

It definitely did not get MST3K bad, though maybe it also depended on who you were sitting next to.
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 03:10 PM   #12
Iacon
Noted Gadabout
Iacon's Ebay Auctions
Re: Transformers: The Movie (1986) - Theatre Showing in Toronto - Tuesday, August 16t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aernaroth View Post
I don't remember it being that bad, though I do seem to recall people singing along with the songs or following some of the major lines. I remember a lot of applause though.

It definitely did not get MST3K bad, though maybe it also depended on who you were sitting next to.
Cool-- people singing along I'm pretty okay with. And yeah, I don't mean to come down on people for enjoying the movie in their own, possibly ironic way-- it's just annoying when it gets to the point that it's distracting for folks like me who... y'know, just genuinely love watching the thing...

In any case, I'll totally check out the screening. Seems foolish to pass on my favourite film being played at a vintage theatre in my hometown (saw "Hobo With A Shotgun" there... really dig the vibe). I might just have to sit strategically and try to distance myself from any clusters of snarky hipsters I happen to spot...
@Jonny5IsUndead
Iacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 04:08 PM   #13
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

I disagree if a small light or conversation from a cellphone is distracting, people talking amongst each other, people talking over the movie shouting plots/mistakes/very fanboyish behaviour etc

Fanboys singing along certainly will be even more distracting.

Just because we're part of the fandom, it doesn't excuse inconsiderate behaviour.

Last edited by Buhawi; 07-24-2016 at 04:10 PM.
Buhawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 04:14 PM   #14
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.

I went last year. It was great because I never got to see it in theater when I was a kid, but my enjoyment was kinda lessened by too many hipsters there watching the movie "ironically".
Old 07-24-2016, 04:48 PM   #15
Aernaroth
Metroplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhawi View Post
I disagree if a small light or conversation from a cellphone is distracting, people talking amongst each other, people talking over the movie shouting plots/mistakes/very fanboyish behaviour etc

Fanboys singing along certainly will be even more distracting.

Just because we're part of the fandom, it doesn't excuse inconsiderate behaviour.
I would say that if it were just one guy singing along, maybe that might be a little off-putting. But I dunno, I'd still prefer someone interacting with the movie than doing something completely unrelated and disinterested in the movie like texting or having another conversation.

That being said, when a BUNCH of people are singing along, cheering and clapping, and getting really into the film, that makes watching the movie a whole different experience, and something a lot more... communal I guess?

Treating films, especially 'cult' films, as a more of an energetic concert experience than an observatory one where abject silence is to be maintained at all times is a longstanding thing in fandom.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:05 PM   #16
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

A group of fanboys would make it worse than just one. By volume. The same thing goes for that energy coming from camaraderie. Not everyone understands nor they have to. I think that's the source of all that singing and unnecessary audience participation. Cult film/ cartoon/retro whatever appreciation can be better appreciated in a closed group in a closed area at conventions.

In public, however, you will always run into someone who wants to appreciate as is.

I certainly would especially since I never saw it in a theatre setting.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:28 PM   #17
Aernaroth
Metroplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhawi View Post
A group of fanboys would make it worse than just one. By volume. The same thing goes for that energy coming from camaraderie. Not everyone understands nor they have to. I think that's the source of all that singing and unnecessary audience participation. Cult film/ cartoon/retro whatever appreciation can be better appreciated in a closed group in a closed area at conventions.

In public, however, you will always run into someone who wants to appreciate as is.

I certainly would especially since I never saw it in a theatre setting.
I'm not going to say you shouldn't go, but... you might not get the environment you're hoping for.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:33 PM   #18
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

I work in customer service. My tolerance for that is right up there with my tolerance for spicy food.

But man I'd give up my FP stunted one to watch that in theatres.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:13 PM   #19
positivelyken
One Man Gestalt

You could always watch it at home.
positivelyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:01 PM   #20
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

So do karaoke fanboys.

Maybe some want to be the centre of attention in the theatres but come on now.

Common sense and some consideration would do the fandom some good. Instead of misconceptions and stereotypes.

Last edited by Buhawi; 07-24-2016 at 08:04 PM.
Buhawi is offline   Reply With Quote