Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Old 11-30-2007, 06:10 PM   #21
GMfan
Robot in Disguise
Re: GRAE It's Not Just an Issue of Black and White

I think its a neat way of doing the backgrounds. Do you draw them in roughly first and then add real black and white images and alter them? Its interesting to combine this in a comic like media because this blew my mind when Disney used a similar method in the semi CG movie Dinosaur when they filmed all the background and added in the dinosaurs, meteor, explosions, etc.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:06 AM   #22
SamiWCP
Alternator

Well, when I originally drew them, the backgrounds were just what the pencils looked like. Simple. Not to detailed. Put in more for mood elements etc. If you look at the last post, with the 3 different layers, in the original pencils, you can see at the bottom where the car fluid damage got on the page to make me start all this stuff. The 2nd pic is the various layer toning, shading etc. And the 3rd is the as to date finished piece..a WIP of course. I drew in the back grounds..And now just do random/basic image searches to find pics that can fit in that, same angle, similar look etc and match it in. Cut out the people, and then layer them in, then add shading, and blend with background. Basically.
SamiWCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:41 PM   #23
SamiWCP
Alternator

This is kinda the general storyline of it..
Characters:
Main-Grae ( no other name )
Sara Lord
Sara's Dad, Justin Lord
Sara's Friend Officer Alexander Cullens
Xander Cullen's Sister/Sara's Friend Kate Cullens

4 years after Sara's Mom died, her father and she continue on their tradition of going to Mountain Meadows, to their lake cabin each summer but it's now a much darker time for them. A place that once held numerous happy memories with friends and family is now run down, lonesome, darker.

Her relationship with her father is strained, he's now distant, and cold. He's damaged. Yet still they come. Trying to continue on together and finding a way to piece the fractured aspect of their lives back together again and form it into something new. A chance to be happy again.

Sara has a few friends there still, local brother and sister Alexander and Kate Cullens.

This year, the 4th anniversary of losing her Mom, Sara notices for the first time, that across the lake the old abandoned cottage is actually being lived in.

Xander, now a local sheriff, tells her one night about the house, and it's occupant. Grae. That while she is quiet, causes no problems, there has been a few issues of vandals and harrassment from other locals at the cottage.

This Grae is the town freak--a witch to some, a monster, vampire etc..The town knows about her, but no one knows her, so they make up stories based on random sightings and gossip.

Sara happens to meet Grae one night, and finds out there isn't anything really abnormal about her,

but she is in fact forced into the life of solitude she now lives in because of a very rare medical condition called Congenital Erythropoietic Porphyria (CEP) Where as in direct sun light can cause massive amounts of skin damage and even bodily disfigurement. Skin photosensitivity may be extreme and lead to blistering, severe scarring and rashes. Bacteria may infect the damaged skin. Facial features and fingers may be lost through phototoxic damage as well as infection. Red blood cells have a shortened life-span, and anemia often results. Thus making Grae live the seclusive night life she has now, staying out of sun light, not going out much at all, keeping away from people in general embarrassed of her scarring etc.

Sara and Grae eventually come to a friendship, Sara helps her through some of her more severe outbreaks and then gets involved as some of the locals continue to harass the "freak" and things spiral out of control quickly as pranks and annoyances become dangerous and threatening.

It'll all be very WBish once --if ever-- it's completed.
So, there you go. Nothing to actioning or WOW aspect..More of a story piece. Stuff like that.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:12 PM   #24
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

WOW that Congenital Erythropoietic Porphyria twist is really cool, I was reading up on some Congenital Erythropoietic Porphyria studies a few months ago and its an interesting addition to this story. You're very accurate with the symptoms too here's the list I found:
Red urine
Vesicular eruption on sun-exposed areas
Blisters on sun-exposed areas
Scarring
Growth of excess hair
Chronic jaundice
Erythrodontia (Reddish or reddish-brown discoloration of the teeth, great for explaining the vampire myth of her :P)
Enlarged spleen
Normochromic anemia
Erythroid hyperplasia (under developed blood cells)
Skin photosensitivity
Alopecia (Hair loss)
Anemia
Porphyrin deposits in bone marrow
Porphyrin deposits in red blood cells
Porphyrin deposits in plasma
Porphyrin deposits in feces
Porphyrin deposits in urine

It's pretty serious considering there is no cure besides avoiding the sun. I love medicine and now you got me hooked on this :P But be careful using CEP as an abbreviation as some may think it's Chronic eosinophilic pneumonia...rare too but not as interesting.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:24 PM   #25
SamiWCP
Alternator

Wow..I'm going to have to come to you for some info and support on stuff..That's where the name Grae came from originally..Not just for the media type, or anything related to the art, it was just because of her skin condition. I couldn't find something that really pointed out sunlight equally grey skin, but this was close. So, went with CEP. I didn't know there wasn't any cure though.. I have a feeling now that this story will end badly for Grae:/
Old 12-06-2007, 07:26 PM   #26
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Well since one of the symtoms is Jaundice you may wanna call her Yelloe :P
Old 12-06-2007, 07:28 PM   #27
SamiWCP
Alternator

Boo.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:37 PM   #28
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

On the brightside as long as they avoid the sun they can live long relatively healthy lives. Think of it as if the patients are "allergic" to sunlight. Jaundice can be cured by removing the gall bladder of course there would have to be dietary changes afterward since the lack of bile the patient can't emulsify fats properly.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:53 PM   #29
SamiWCP
Alternator

What profession are you in exactly?
Old 12-06-2007, 10:24 PM   #30
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

I'm no doctor, I just play one on TV :P