Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 06-13-2016, 01:47 PM   #1
elburrito
Animated
Dilemma

MP-style TFs seem to be coming out of the woodwork with Takara and various 3rd party companies churning out characters at a financially-alarming rate.

For the first-time, however, I find myself actually torn between an official version and a 3rd party representation of a particular character.

The character? It is Inferno.

Ocular Max Version

Takara Version

True, both of these guys look nice. For those of us that have gotten our hands on the ocular max toys, we know that they have superb paint (think of you Sphinx), high plastic quality, judicious die-cast and real rubber tire.

Comparing Sphinx to the various official autobot cars, I have to say I lean towards the MMC offering as the true "masterpiece".

Now with Takara and MMC releasing the same character, what to do?

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:54 PM   #2
PrimeCron
Metroplex
PrimeCron's Ebay Auctions
Re: Dilemma

These actually 4 different company offering a MP styled Inferno; Maketoys, Mastermind Creations, Takara and X-Transbot has release a teaser recently...

Feedback link...
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=27458
PrimeCron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:03 PM   #3
The7thParallel
Nexus Maximus

The only one that will retain any real value over time is the Takara, if that matters to you. People will still pay for the 3P, but as they are 3P and not part of the mass market, are counterfeit versions of owned IPs, and don't have any official backing they will never increase in value.

This is NOT a dig at 3P. I think FTs Dinobots are simply stunning and I would love for Takara to do them (or for them to be affordable). Just stating this because if you're collecting purely for pleasure, get the one you LIKE the most.

Also, the pic above is unfair to Takara as it's a fan-submitted paint job. Look at the newer pics from Tokyo to give it a fair shake. Myself, I always go Takara/Hasbro with MP figs, though I have been tempted in the past.
The7thParallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:09 PM   #4
Crobot91
Metroplex

I have the Maketoys version and I enjoy it along with Maketoys Grapple and Maketoys Hound (light green version is my preference). They're more detailed and look more like the comic book drawings from the Dreamwave Comics from back in the 2000s. The official Masterpiece version and Ocular Max MMC version look like they literally popped out of the TV, more so for the MP version.

I have Ocular Max Mirage and I have to agree with regard to the quality - very nice figure.

I would wait if I were you and see comparison pics when they are both released. I have a feeling the MP version will be shorter than the Ocular Max version which may sway your opinion.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:57 PM   #5
dingd0ng
Nexus Maximus

Both of them are great representation of Inferno. For me, i like the Takara MP mainly because overall it looks more clean and simple just like the cartoon. The 3Ps are a bit over detailed for me. For example Iron hide/Ratchet, i like how simple the legs and feet are compared to their 3P counterparts. Just my two cents, plus i am pretty sure the Official will end up cheaper to acquire then the 3P which is also very important for my budget.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:03 PM   #6
predahank
Storing is hoarding

You could get the MT Hellfire, fort mac relief edition where all proceeds are donated. Get a nice figure and feel good about where the $$ is going. Just a thought
predahank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:13 PM   #7
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by The7thParallel View Post
The only one that will retain any real value over time is the Takara, if that matters to you. People will still pay for the 3P, but as they are 3P and not part of the mass market, are counterfeit versions of owned IPs, and don't have any official backing they will never increase in value.

This is NOT a dig at 3P. I think FTs Dinobots are simply stunning and I would love for Takara to do them (or for them to be affordable). Just stating this because if you're collecting purely for pleasure, get the one you LIKE the most.

Also, the pic above is unfair to Takara as it's a fan-submitted paint job. Look at the newer pics from Tokyo to give it a fair shake. Myself, I always go Takara/Hasbro with MP figs, though I have been tempted in the past.
No real guarantee any of this will increase in value be it 3rd or 1st party.

Personally I like the Takara one a bit more as I find it more cartoon accurate.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:22 PM   #8
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

Slightly off topic, but does anyone else notice a change of aesthetic direction in Takara's MP design? While Alt modes are still about "real cars", the Bot modes are designed to be more and more cartoonish accurate?
Old 06-13-2016, 04:00 PM   #9
TRUCKvsGUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by predahank View Post
You could get the MT Hellfire, fort mac relief edition where all proceeds are donated. Get a nice figure and feel good about where the $$ is going. Just a thought
I happen to think Hellfire is the best looking one as well, at least in robot mode. Ocular Max is too lanky, imo, and the Takara one has an odd head-sculpt and painted windows.

Contact me if you have for sale:
Transformers: The Ultimate Pop-Up Universe Book
Botcon 2006 Dawn of Futures Past Boxed Set
MP-01 Matrix
POTP Onyx Prime
TRUCKvsGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:20 PM   #10
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapmaker View Post
I happen to think Hellfire is the best looking one as well, at least in robot mode. Ocular Max is too lanky, imo, and the Takara one has an odd head-sculpt and painted windows.
Takara MP Inferno comes with two different cartoon heads and three faces.

Also other photos show the windshield are not painted.