Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > Tech Support Forum and Site Rules

Old 07-13-2014, 05:59 PM   #11
steamwhistle
Crossover
Re: Proposed change to the sightings forum format.

It is a great idea, and people should be encouraged to be considerate about the info being posted. It would be great for people to be clear with information -- city, borough, street, store, and TFs and notes would be good for basic info.

For me, I know I get confused when people use the term "STC"... For the first little while, I had to figure out what that meant -- St Catharines, Stoney Creek... I am figuring now that it means Scarborough Town Centre.

Unfortunately, while it would be ideal to have a standard format, I don't really see how it would be possible to enforce. It is even less ideal to be trying to edit others' posts or to penalize members for not using a standard approved format.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Feedback thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=steamwhistle
steamwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:34 PM   #12
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamwhistle View Post
It is a great idea, and people should be encouraged to be considerate about the info being posted. It would be great for people to be clear with information -- city, borough, street, store, and TFs and notes would be good for basic info.

For me, I know I get confused when people use the term "STC"... For the first little while, I had to figure out what that meant -- St Catharines, Stoney Creek... I am figuring now that it means Scarborough Town Centre.
Exactly, thank you.

Quote:
Unfortunately, while it would be ideal to have a standard format, I don't really see how it would be possible to enforce. It is even less ideal to be trying to edit others' posts or to penalize members for not using a standard approved format.
Who ever said ANYTHING about enforcement? Not me!

Here are my first two post, completely unedited. I defy anyone to find any mention of "enforcement".
At one point I even say "So maybe there might be a few off format posts...". AFAIC it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave 75 View Post
Quite often I'll go there trying to find out if anything new has been seen in my area only to find that most of the posts completely fail to mention what store the figures were seen in or even in which city/area they were found! I have to look over that the poster's info and hope that they've actually put where they are from.

I propose we adopt the format they use over on the Allspark's sightings forums:

Date:
Time:
Store(s)/Area: ("Area", where applicable, meaning like how Toronto can be broken down into it's constituent boroughs like North York, Scarborough, Etobicoke, etc. Because just saying a Walmart in Toronto really doesn't narrow it down.)
City:
Notes:

This way all the pertinent information is quick and easy to see, and you can make any notes at the bottom like "Only two Tailgate's left." for example.
This will also make using the search function easier.

I think this change would really streamline things.

Also, admins, would it be possible to delete the old sightings at some point every new year? I just don't see the point in keeping 7 year old sightings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave 75 View Post
I realise all of this, however with the format I propose you wouldn't have to "filter out the info" because it's all right there!

It would also make using the search filter MUCH easier.

As it is now if I'm looking for Tailgate (which I am), I have to just search for Tailgate because I can't search for Toronto, or North York, because not everybody puts that information, and thus I'm inundated by sightings from all across Ontario.

We shouldn't have to "filter out the info", we shouldn't have to hope that a poster has put their actual location in their profile and not something funny or snarky.

I truly don't understand the resistance to making everybody's life easier. Just because something has always been one way doesn't mean that it couldn't or shouldn't change.

So some people might have trouble posting that format on their phones. So what? So maybe there might be a few off format posts, or maybe those people will just have to either remember to edit the post when they get home, or just wait till they get home to post. God forbid we ask someone to use their brain!
Here is the very first mention of "enforcement":

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
I am not in favor of an enforced sightings format. Too many lines for the info offered. Maybe it's just the Alberta sightings but most people are good at saying 'south common Walmart' or whatever.

I mean what will you give infractions or discipline to people who don't use thr format? No thanks.
I'm talking about a system where fellow collectors try their best to help out other collectors find stuff.
If you're in a rush and the best you can do is "I saw Tailgate in Walmart at STC" from your smart phone, then that's fine. But, and I know this is probably foolish, I am assuming that you guys aren't idiots, and if the board decided to adopt this format you would likely have that info in the back of your head and would probably remember to either wait till you got home to post or edit. And even if you didn't, like I said, a few off format posts would'nt be the end of the world. And it would be a fair bit better than the disorganization we have now.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:30 PM   #13
steamwhistle
Crossover

Sure, I know you didn't mention enforcement, but if a designated format is identified to be used, the question is: What do the admins do if someone doesn't follow the format?

It really is hard to do anything about it if people don't follow the format.

I'm with you, and wish people would post clear and thorough information, but I can see that we really can't do much about it if people don't.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Feedback thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=steamwhistle
steamwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:31 PM   #14
Knockout
I can't anymore. Done.

that would be a good change keep everything simple, easy to find.

As soon as we hit 100 likes we will be having a sale!

Knockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:39 PM   #15
Mystic Metal
CHIEF IDEA OFFICER
Mystic Metal's Ebay Auctions

I like the idea.
I'm going to post accordingly from now on.
When people see how convenient it is, they'll come around.

Mystic Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:55 PM   #16
Metroplex79
Little Guy with Firepower

I'm favor of this idea.

I sometimes have to question where a poster is in the Sightings myself.

I also get annoyed at the "nothing to report" or other many various variations thereof...it's a sightings thread, not report what's not there.

Oh look, there's no giraffes or ostriches walking on the street in "Beetrailville".

I kinda had a similar thought to the BST...where a member says: "I'm from Canada", and on the left it says "Location: Canada"....which is kinda superfluous on a Canadian message board.

A team that's only a shell of its former self
Savage Blitzkrieg Squad [MIC]

Metroplex79 is a good and safe city to do business in!!! Take the tour.
These people stopped by:
Cybertron.ca feedback thread

New and old buyers welcome here:
Cybertron.ca sales thread
[CONTINUING POST-TFCON UPDATE]
(last update: Feb 12/14 @ 9:15am EST, slight edit)
Metroplex79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:57 PM   #17
Aras
Generation 1

I do agree that it is a bit rediculous that the sighting posts are so big. Although I don't want to step on any toes by deleting. Can't there be a yearly Sightings thread then, like with the pic threads? That way the old posts can stay, but it doesn't get as ridiculously huge as they are now? Or would that not work, I'm not a big forum person?
Aras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:00 PM   #18
Aras
Generation 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex79 View Post
I kinda had a similar thought to the BST...where a member says: "I'm from Canada", and on the left it says "Location: Canada"....which is kinda superfluous on a Canadian message board.
Well, not everyone wants to put there whole information out on the internet. When you live someplace like Toronto, it covers quite a large area, but what if your in a town with a smaller population? That might make some people feel too exposed for their comfort.

Last edited by Aras; 07-13-2014 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Grammar
Aras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:10 PM   #19
The7thParallel
Nexus Maximus

I like the idea of 'nothing to report. It means that there's nothing new there so don't waste your time going there. if I don't see a sighting for a place I am assuming no one has been and I would go. Finding out that nothing new is there is helpful.

I think the sighting thread is fine the way it is.
The7thParallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:19 PM   #20
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamwhistle View Post
Sure, I know you didn't mention enforcement, but if a designated format is identified to be used, the question is: What do the admins do if someone doesn't follow the format?
This isn't something that would be policed. Staff are stretched thin as is.

It does seem to me, in reading through the posts, that most of the issue seems to come from the GTA due to the large population and hundreds(if not thousands) of retailers there.

I think setting an example(as many already do) and encouraging others to include important information is the answer more than significant changes to how the sightings forums work.

I admit I fail to see the issue with the size of the sightings forum. Maybe if someone can let me know if there is something I'm missing.

There are easy ways to circumvent the years worth of posts by simply clicking the "new posts" button every day or two or clicking "last" at the top of the sightings page to get the latest posts.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote