Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 09-25-2022, 05:57 PM   #1
Grimlocked
Generation 2
Lightbulb Fun Topic: To toss boxes or to not toss?!

Hey everyone,

Here's a fun topic for everyone to give their opinions:

Do you toss your boxes or keep them after buying/opening a figure?

I ask this question since I think collecting has taken on an interesting "twist" now that Hasbro has started these new types of packaging for figures. The whole point of keeping the plastic on the packaging has always been to protect the figure but for MISB collectors, it served also as a display piece that also kept the figures "mint". Now that it has changed, is a figure really "mint" anymore? Is there a point anymore to preserve a figure and it's packaging?

I used to enjoy collecting things MISB, but now, I am questioning it. With these changes and the personal logistics behind it (e.g. Spacing), the figure seems like the only thing that just matters (as always) and tossing the boxes for deluxes-leaders seems more tempting.

Thanks for reading!
Grimlocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 06:48 PM   #2
VicRav
Machine War
Re: Fun Topic: To toss boxes or to not toss?!

I have always tossed them because I don't display MISB and it just takes up space to store them. Sometimes I keep some boxes for a little while, but most get tossed eventually. I currently have a couple empty boxes stored - Two MP boxes for the two MPs I have and the Devastator reissue box. I have 5 figures in boxes - Siege Jefire, Siege Reflector box set, Earthrise Sky Lynx, Combiner Wars Ultra Magnus and G1 Optimus Prime Reissue (no trailer). CW Ultra Magnus I picked up used and the seller sold it with the box, I am planning to give it to my son at some point - once he has it the box will go. Once the three Siege/Earthrise guys go back out on permanent display there boxes will likely go. The G1 Prime is the only figure I currently plan to keep MISB.

I like a lot of the artwork on boxes and if space wasn't a concern I would probably keep most of it, plus it is nice for reselling. I have picked up a lot of used figures that came with boxes/cardbacks, sometimes I feel more guilty tossing those boxes/cardbacks because it came from a collector who maintained them and was nice enough to pass it on to me. However, the almighty space issue. I designated a certain amount of space for storage and display, early in collecting boxes occupied more of that space, but eventually got weeded out in order to add more figures.
VicRav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 06:58 PM   #3
timcrook
Cybertron

I don't resell much, so I don't keep the boxes. Why not collect jpgs then.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:58 PM   #4
Ozrein
Stunticon

I only keep MP boxes fully intact. Otherwise, I break down the boxes and/or cut them up to keep the front artwork and back of box. I have an old large filing cabinet where I store all paperwork and artwork/boxes.
Old 09-25-2022, 07:04 PM   #5
NightshadeX
Robot Master
NightshadeX's Ebay Auctions

I throw out almost all domestic TF boxes (I think I have a couple of CW boxsets and Trypticon and my NA release Masterpiece TF boxes). But I keep all my Japanese TF boxes these days because it helps with resell value or for potentially moving since those are usually the most expensive so I want to have a safer way to store them for moving.

But I have enough MPs now I think I need to revisit that...
NightshadeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 08:38 PM   #6
evenstaves
you renegade maverick

Been keeping damn near all boxes, even though I'm opening every figure

It's... becoming a problem
evenstaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:00 PM   #7
Tiffster
Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenstaves View Post
Been keeping damn near all boxes, even though I'm opening every figure

It's... becoming a problem
Ditto.
Tiffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:23 PM   #8
Black Spidey Boy
Robot in Disguise

I used to keep all my boxes, but storage space was an issue and I’ve since started to discard the boxes of domestic releases for figures I’ve opened.

My reasoning being that for mainline stuff, it doesn’t affect the resell value *that* much. If I were to sell them down the line, potential buyers would be more concerned with whether it’s been opened than whether I still have the original box. I just bag and label the accessories (and undisplayed figures) and store them in a bin.

That being said. For (3P)MP figures, I have kept nearly all of my boxes. I’m not too concerned with resell value, but rather because in the case of MP scaled figures, some could be difficult to ship or transport without the original box and packaging. For example, the GP Dinobots would be tricky to transport in robot mode without their boxes. I should probably re-evaluate MP boxes on a case by case basis because together they take up a lot of space. I threw away Hasbro MP Soundwave’s gigantic box because it was the most inefficient box I had.

For legends scaled stuff like NewAge, I’ve kept my boxes so far because all of them put together hasn’t taken up that much space.. yet.
Black Spidey Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:35 PM   #9
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

I used to recycle my boxes without a seconds hesitation. Since they switched to boxes for deluxe with siege in the artwork has been quite nice I've started keeping them. Keeping open blister cards was just a pain in the ass.

And the SS86 dioramas obv

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:43 PM   #10
Grimlocked
Generation 2

Would Speedia Velocitron count as mainline though they are store exclusives?
Grimlocked is offline   Reply With Quote