Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 09-08-2022, 04:17 PM   #1
Yonoid
Nexus Maximus
Thoughts on shipped items

Just wanted to get the community thoughts when items are sold and shipped.

In my opinion once the seller drops it off at the post office/carrier they done their part and any issue is between the buyer and carrier and if they purchased insurance (package damaged, or not delivered)

As the seller you may need to work with the post office to initiate the claim which makes sense, but at the end if the post office doesn't pay out the claim the buyer is out of luck.

What are your guys thoughts on this?

Also if the buyer paid paypal G&S could they file a refund stating they never got the item?
Yonoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 06:56 PM   #2
big dawg
Energon
Re: Thoughts on shipped items

Fuck that. Until it’s in the receivers hands it’s 100% on the shipper. That’s why you gotta pay for the tracking or insist on Non G and S.
big dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 06:58 PM   #3
optimusb39
Animated

As a seller I keep track of the tracking number to watch the progress of the item and confirm receipt once it says its been delivered. So far never had any issues with deliveries other then post office delays.
optimusb39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 07:15 PM   #4
NightshadeX
Robot Master
NightshadeX's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonoid View Post

In my opinion once the seller drops it off at the post office/carrier they done their part and any issue is between the buyer and carrier and if they purchased insurance (package damaged, or not delivered)

As the seller you may need to work with the post office to initiate the claim which makes sense, but at the end if the post office doesn't pay out the claim the buyer is out of luck.

Also if the buyer paid paypal G&S could they file a refund stating they never got the item?
The funny thing is, legally speaking, people could contract very clearly when title transferred and responsibility transferred. That's the whole concept of FOB (FOB destination or FOB shipping).

I wish the way you described was possible, I really do.

But PayPal and e-bay remove that possibility. Basically it's FOB destination. Responsibility remains with the seller until it arrives at the destination.

And the whole postal insurance system for consumers is built that way as well. The seller is the purchaser of insurance (and shipping) and has to make the claim.

So even though I used to think as you do, and I wish it was that way as a seller, you need to get used to the fact all the typical online e-commerce structures are built that you are responsible until the item arrives at the destination. So I get tracking or buy insurance or both.

And yes a buyer using G&S can file a claim for a refund that they never got the item. So I hope you have insurance or a tracking number!
NightshadeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 08:14 PM   #5
Yonoid
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightshadeX View Post
The funny thing is, legally speaking, people could contract very clearly when title transferred and responsibility transferred. That's the whole concept of FOB (FOB destination or FOB shipping).

I wish the way you described was possible, I really do.

But PayPal and e-bay remove that possibility. Basically it's FOB destination. Responsibility remains with the seller until it arrives at the destination.

And the whole postal insurance system for consumers is built that way as well. The seller is the purchaser of insurance (and shipping) and has to make the claim.

So even though I used to think as you do, and I wish it was that way as a seller, you need to get used to the fact all the typical online e-commerce structures are built that you are responsible until the item arrives at the destination. So I get tracking or buy insurance or both.

And yes a buyer using G&S can file a claim for a refund that they never got the item. So I hope you have insurance or a tracking number!
Good points there. I guess I just look at it differently as this is usually a kijiji or facebook deal and not an online e-commerce.

Haven't really had any major issues before but it's good to set the expectation before funds are transferred.
Yonoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 08:25 PM   #6
ssjgoku22
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonoid View Post

Been doing this a while and have had damaged and lost packages sold privately and on Ebay. As the seller, you need to refund the buyer if the package is lost or arrives to them damaged and the shipping company will remiburse for the package. That's the way it works. The Post Office will pay you back, barring you provided enough information.
ssjgoku22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 10:36 PM   #7
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

The seller is not off the hook until it is in the buyer's hands in the condition that was promised.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 11:10 PM   #8
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

In principal, it should always be on the seller that the shipped item is responsible for the delivery of the package.

Unfortunately, a lot of transactions online are not clear between seller and buyer.

I find way too many people easily ok with paying sellers with e-transfer or PayPal friend and Family, with both offering no buyer protection (especially to a seller with little to no feedback). I mean, I can't complain, cause it's less fees for everybody, but I have like almost 2 decades of seller feedback.

When I quote the shipping costs, I always include the proper shipping insurance coverage (just in case). It's only a few dollars, if you're already paying for shipping, a few extra dollars for insurance coverage won't kill your spending budget.

The problem is that tons of buyers and sellers just cheap out and pay the least amount possible, who's gonna take ownership when the item in transit goes sideways or lost?
Dark Rage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 11:48 PM   #9
MilanX3
Nexus Maximus

There is a delivery policy with Canada Post or a courier that details who's responsible and how compensation is sorted out in case of an error. I see now, FedEx is dropping items on occasion without ringing the bell, and if it gets stolen by porch pirates, I am unsure who would take responsibility...problem being, they will not hold for pickup at their local facility until it has 1 delivery attempt, but since its dropped without a signature it can be a problem. Likely would be an argument with Visa to cover such a loss, but it would have to be claimed by the seller towards FedEx on their end and would get messy.
MilanX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 03:10 AM   #10
imfallenangel
Cybertron

I consider the seller to be responsible for the item until it's in the buyer's/customer's hands, as until then, the exchange of goods for money has NOT been completed.

It sucks if the shipment has issues as those aren't the seller's fault, but neither is it the buyer's and the responsibility still resides with the seller. The buyer's responsibility was to pay, if he's done that, he should obtain his goods or a refund, plain and simple.

If there is a problem with the shipment, that is why EVERYTHING should be with tracking and insurance, regardless of what it is.

As a buyer, there's nothing worse than a seller that doesn't do his due diligence and refuses to understand that a buyer cannot prove that he didn't get something if he just didn't get it... it's not rocket science but for some it can be.

As a seller, if repeated business and a solid reputation (and mouth to ear feedback and more customer) is a goal, then one should ensure to be polite and do their best to resolve situations.

I've had idiot sellers that argued over anything from 2$ to 10$ items that got lost and kept trying to get me to show proof that I didn't have it... or that they were defective/broken and even with videos/photos kept on trying to avoid making things right. They lost my business which usually meant several sales as I tend to get way too much stuff... :-p but will absolutely do repeat business with a good seller.

Shit happens and I know that, and I've actually refused full refunds for items was broken/wrong/etc. but that I could still make use of it to an extent and worked out a middle ground that we both felt was fair.

But any seller to put it on me and that I end up with crap or nothing at all, you can bet that I'll hit Paypal's (or whatever service I have to) to get my refund.