Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 04-23-2015, 04:14 PM   #1
supafly
Generation 1
MP value over time?

I just started my MP collection last month and I'm kind of trying to justify spending so much other than being in a happy happy mood every time I'm in my man cave.

Anywho, does anyone know of a reference guide of original prices when each MP first came out? Or does anyone haveva general idea of how the values have held up, increased, or decreased over time? Seeing as the franchise is decades old, has there ever been a slump where the toys lost value?
supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:23 PM   #2
elburrito
Animated
Re: MP value over time?

I've been on the MPs since the beginning. The prices do seem to fluctuate a bit but generally to increase. That is subject to future releases. For example, Hasbro MP 10 was up around $300 for a while, but the Takara re-issue for MP10 sort of undermined that. Although, now it is getting up there again. Also, Takara's MP 13 pretty much lost all value when Hasbro released MP Soundwave with all 5 cassettes. I think the bottom line is like any collectible item. If your plan is to sell it down the road, keep in sealed and mint. If you want to display, transfer the toys out of the box, they are going to significantly drop in value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafly View Post
I just started my MP collection last month and I'm kind of trying to justify spending so much other than being in a happy happy mood every time I'm in my man cave.

Anywho, does anyone know of a reference guide of original prices when each MP first came out? Or does anyone haveva general idea of how the values have held up, increased, or decreased over time? Seeing as the franchise is decades old, has there ever been a slump where the toys lost value?

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:24 PM   #3
Masta_Skidz
Theoretician

if you are collecting to get rich or make more money than the initial investment then I would say stop collecting MP would be my advice. I collect for my enjoyment. I invest in stock and bonds when I want to make money.
Masta_Skidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:35 PM   #4
Grimtron
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafly View Post

With anything, the prices go up and they go down. MP's that have not seen a re-issue tend to cost more than ones that are getting re-issued, like MP-10. If you are collecting to get profit out of them, its a risky game. Your better off buying stocks or investing in condos/properties.

Word of the wise: If you list something at a price, doesn't mean you have a buyer. The secondary market only exist cause there is demand, once the demand is gone the money goes with it.
Grimtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:36 PM   #5
supafly
Generation 1

I don't plan on selling ever! I put them in my detolfs and smile when I look over while a game loads or whatever. Like any collectibles, it's only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it!It's fun to know the trends though.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:43 PM   #6
Masta_Skidz
Theoretician

well then the felling you get from looking at them should justify the purchase price IMO
Masta_Skidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:52 PM   #7
Protoman
The Legend

MPs go one of 2 ways.

They hold value or jump up and down depending on "other option factors"

They rarely go below their original purchase price

Look no further then the history of MP Grimlock with his 4 different Takara/Asia releases and Hasbro with their 2 to see the crazy ups and downs of Masterpiece

Or Lambor and how the bootleg market also can effect things.

It's a magical tale.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:06 PM   #8
supafly
Generation 1

See, there's lore there that is fun to know! Like it appears the first sideswipe had wheels that didn't roll, and the second run fixed that making it more in demand. Multi-releases galore makes things confusing, it is indeed pretty magical!
Old 04-23-2015, 05:31 PM   #9
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by elburrito View Post
I think the bottom line is like any collectible item. If your plan is to sell it down the road, keep in sealed and mint. If you want to display, transfer the toys out of the box, they are going to significantly drop in value.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masta_Skidz View Post
if you are collecting to get rich or make more money than the initial investment then I would say stop collecting MP would be my advice. I collect for my enjoyment. I invest in stock and bonds when I want to make money.
And this.

These are toys, not commodoties. Bottom line. We collectors assign their subjective value. There are better investments with substantially better returns out there.

Even though communities like this help our hobbies retain their value, I tend to enjoy MPs for their entertainment value (whether sealed or not) which outweighs their intrinsic value.

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:05 PM   #10
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

If you buy the Takara versions when the early bird pricing is valid, you will make money every time. Lot of people fund their MP collection just by doing that.

@supafly Shameless plug. If you need any MPs, I have a few left. Send me a PM if interested.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote