Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 04-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #11
zuffyprime
Fortress Maximus
Re: G1 collecting advice

awesome, glad you'll be making your way down to your first tfcon!

Bring only cash 99% of dealers do cash only.

G1 commemorative Series (hasbro) or Takara Book style re-issues are the genuine re-issues you are looking for in terms of authentic re-issues.

Generally, these the hasbro versions, on the low end will cost you about 20-30 bucks. They originally retailed several years ago at toys r us for anywhere between 35.99 and 39.99 for the cars, and between 45.99 to 49.99 for the jets. (And they're awesome, like getting a mint g1 toy from back in the day).

They did a re-release of most of the 84 cars, but did not do mirage, wheeljack or sunstreaker.

I believe that takara came out with a re-issue of ironhide and ratchet a couple of years ago, but it wasn't bookstyle re-issue.

my suggestion is to post in the "wanted" section that you're looking for G1 genuine re-issues (Commemorative series re-issues) and you'll probably find some guys to buy from even before you get to tfcon.

Good luck
zuffyprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:03 PM   #12
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryceball89 View Post
With that said, how's the selection of G1 figures at TFCon? will I be able to find a vintage set of dinobots or shockwave/wheeljack? Should I bring credit with me instead of carrying all the cash?
I have been to TFCon for two years only and vintage G1 figures are pretty well present. Can't recall if there are any Dinobots around, though. Like others said bring cash. You can also bargain with the sellers

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #13
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Quote:
This is giving me a great insight to how I should approach G1 collecting. I definitely don't mind reissues because 100% accuracy isn't too big of a deal. Also, I'm by no means a completionist, I collect specific characters that I think are cool. Also I prefer loose over misb because of my lack of space.

With that said, how's the selection of G1 figures at TFCon? will I be able to find a vintage set of dinobots or shockwave/wheeljack? Should I bring credit with me instead of carrying all the cash?
Shockwave will be expensive and more rare...

There are dealers who will definitely have all of them, but the price is the issue.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #14
ryceball89
Decepticlown

The Takara re-issues with the book style boxes look really cool. I'll probably have to do a bit more research and compare each figure to it's original version and the hasbro version but I think I may be leaning towards those or maybe even encore for the bigger stuff like skylynx and omega.

Since its Takara, Can I assume there is good QC or atleast higher quality materials?

I also noticed that another anniversary is approaching 2014 (30 years). Based on the pattern of has/tak, do you guys think there will be a new re-issue line up, or will they just continue with the bi-yearly encore line?

(It's also the year the next transformers suppose to come out so who knows)

Thanks again for the help, just a bit nervous to be dipping into the G1 pool.
ryceball89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #15
Autobot Meister
Machine War

You may not be happy with Hasbro Commemorative Reissues. Weapons are terrible and finding vintage weapons lots complete is difficult and expensive.
Autobot Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #16
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Takara reissues tend to be superior to Hasbro, but it can be a case by case basis. Do your research and look into it. The biggest thing to watch out for with Hasbro reissues is chromed weapons replaced with plain plastic (black, white, etc.).

In some cases (Jazz for example) all subsequent molds are based on the G2 version, so there really is no exact replacement for G1 Jazz. That said, some of the reissues are "good enough".

You can check out the encore section on shelflife, I try to describe the differences where I can.

As for encore, it never used to be "bi-yearly" - it just took a two year break recently. It used to be they would come out with encore reissues every few months.

As for whether or not we'll see more reissues, maybe encore will continue, but I doubt we'll have a full-fledged reissue line start up again. The majority of figures they've already reissued (soundwave, starscream, etc.) have been released enough times that they're not going to sell more for a while.

+ and more!

Looking to buy:

My Feedback Thread

Last edited by Bruticus82; 04-09-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:05 AM   #17
Protoman
The Legend

It's a bad time to be a G1 collector let me tell ya, specially if your starting from the ground up right now.........

You might get a G1 Jazz........ but can you really know if those are the original 84 guns........ even some of the KO stuff is hard to detect.......... I hate it.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #18
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.

Quote:
I also noticed that another anniversary is approaching 2014 (30 years). Based on the pattern of has/tak, do you guys think there will be a new re-issue line up, or will they just continue with the bi-yearly encore line?
I wouldn't count on it. Maybe from Takara, but largely due to being egregiously overpriced at TRU, Hasbro's reissues didn't really sell very well so I think that kind of soured them on the whole reissue front.

We might see another rehash of G1 Prime, but that's likely to be it.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #19
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..

Quick note about TF Con--I found some of the large dealer prices to be outrageous, often above EBay. Conversely, some of the smaller dealers were excellent and would deal.

All I can say is research, research, research. Get a plan on whether you're going to get vintage. Hasbro reissue, Takara book style or Encore, and determine fair market value for each.

Good luck...keep us posted...any way we can help...G1 collecting is both the most rewarding and most challenging aspect of this hobby!
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #20
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echotransformer View Post
Quick note about TF Con--I found some of the large dealer prices to be outrageous, often above EBay. Conversely, some of the smaller dealers were excellent and would deal.

All I can say is research, research, research. Get a plan on whether you're going to get vintage. Hasbro reissue, Takara book style or Encore, and determine fair market value for each.

Good luck...keep us posted...any way we can help...G1 collecting is both the most rewarding and most challenging aspect of this hobby!
Agree 100%. That's why I said, dealers will have all you're looking for, but price is the issue.

I always make a list of figures I'm after, and prices that I've researched for them, ahead of time. That way I'm not stuck there at the table wondering "Is $80 really a good deal for this figure?"

+ and more!

Looking to buy:

My Feedback Thread