Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 05-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #21
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind
Re: The Star Trek "REAL FAN'S" ;) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex79 View Post
Like this doozy about Voyager's shuttlecrafts?

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/in...encies-voy.htm

It's like they did the up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, Start thing.

I figured that the Shuttles could be replicated if lost? Granted it would have been interesting to see the crew survive without the Shuttles.

Another quesiton: If you go into the water on the holodeck, do you actually get wet?
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:53 PM   #22
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
teh star wars is way better than teh star trek

it is fact
STAR TREK vs. STAR WARS?

What's the point?

I mean, one's about the possible future of the human race and the other is about alien races far, far away. IMO they're not even on the same plane of existence or connected by the same laws of physics.

Therefore I say they are both better than the other.

From a certain point of view.

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:58 PM   #23
Team Jetfire

Well said.

That said, when I was 15 I thought that Trek was terrible and Star Wars was the be all end all.
Fast forward 20 years and I'm tired of Star Wars and loving Star Trek...
Old 05-23-2014, 05:03 PM   #24
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwankenobi View Post
STAR TREK vs. STAR WARS?

What's the point?

I mean, one's about the possible future of the human race and the other is about alien races far, far away. IMO they're not even on the same plane of existence or connected by the same laws of physics.

Therefore I say they are both better than the other.

From a certain point of view.
Yep and one is Science Fiction while the other is a Western/Samurai movie is space.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:19 PM   #25
steamwhistle
Crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex79 View Post
Like this doozy about Voyager's shuttlecrafts?

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/in...encies-voy.htm

It's like they did the up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, Start thing.
Like, yes, that.
I just favoured the stories, and overlooked the errors, oversights, and inconsistencies.

I just figured they had all the shuttles bouncing around in the transporter buffer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
I figured that the Shuttles could be replicated if lost? Granted it would have been interesting to see the crew survive without the Shuttles.

Another quesiton: If you go into the water on the holodeck, do you actually get wet?
And yes, i agree that shuttles could be replicated / salvaged / rebuilt... And then re-named, maybe in hoPes of better luck.

And I think I do recall and episode in which someone exits the holodeck dripping wet... Early TNG maybe? Wesley?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Feedback thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=steamwhistle
steamwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:20 PM   #26
cannabisprime
トーランスフォムー!

I never understood the hate most fans had for Star Trek: Enterprise; Jolene Blalock notwithstanding, I thought it was well done overall.

Favourite movie hands-down is Undiscovered Country; the plot, the score, the Warbird vs Starship fight, Sulu screaming "Well fly her apart then!!"...
cannabisprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:25 PM   #27
Dynamo.Dave
Too close for missiles

Big time Star Trek fan here.
Probably my biggest fan wank was spending 10 hours inside the Las Vegas Star Trek exhibit when they had it. It was figuratively, and almost literally, orgasmic.

Ranking the movies:
1 - Generations (yes, I know)
2 - The Undiscovered Country
3 - Insurrection
4 - First Contact
5 - Voyage Home
6 - Star Trek (JJ's first one)
7 - Into Darkness
8 - Wrath of Khan
9 - Nemesis
10 - Search for Spock
11 - Motion Picture
12 - Final Frontier

TNG is my favourite. Loving the Blu Ray releases and getting to enjoy it all over again.
DS9 took me a while, but by mid-way through season 3, I'm in. Season 4-7 are great.
Voyager had its moments and good episodes, but overall I wasn't so jazzed about it.
Enterprise season 3 was fantastic, hands down. They got into the meat of what that show was supposed to be - the untold stories of things you already knew, and enormous fan-service potential.

Sparktoys Grimlock
FT Stunticons
FT Aerialbots

Last edited by Dynamo.Dave; 05-23-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Dynamo.Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:31 PM   #28
Team Jetfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamwhistle View Post
And I think I do recall and episode in which someone exits the holodeck dripping wet... Early TNG maybe? Wesley?

The scene that I question was from Generations when Data hilariously pushes Dr Crusher in to the ocean, further knocking an already soaked Warf with her and excellently filmed using the epic technique of SLOW MOTION.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:59 PM   #29
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

I'm just shocked that many people have seen all the films

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:21 PM   #30
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
I figured that the Shuttles could be replicated if lost?
At first thought you'd think it'd be easy, but replication takes up resources that could be used for other things. I remember a two parter called Year of Hell when Chakotay replicated a watch to give the the Captain as a present but she gave him crap and ordered him to recycled it so the resources could be used for something else.

Honestly, I don't know how that'd work. It seems like techno babble BS.

Quote:
Here's my techno babble to explain that. Yes, you'll be wet on the holodeck, but when you leave the holodeck, you'll be dry. Nothing from the holodeck can leave the deck without vanishing. That's why the people created on the deck can't leave the deck. So once someone leaves the holodeck the holo-water will disappear.

Ranking the movies:

Wrath of Khan
First Contact
Voyage Home
Star Trek (JJ's)
The Undiscovered Country
Into Darkness
Search for Spock
Motion Picture - this probably should be lower but nostalgia bumps it for me.
Nemesis
Generations -one thing just killed this for me, "Oh My... croak." I laughed my ass off in the theater.
Insurrection
Final Frontier

As for the TV series. TOS is still the best in delivering on all levels. TNG was really good when it was good but could be bad when they ran out of ideas and had to rehash old stuff. I mean how many episodes can they use as allegory for being gay. The episode with Ryker falling for that androgynous species was a low point.

DS9 had the most ambition, but it helps they ripped off the premise of Babylon 5. The end felt very epic.

Voyager, like most trek series, starts off really well but faded. They introduce ideas that they never follow through on and pretty much ignore. Maquis and Starfleet crew, oh there's going to be friction there right? Nope. They're buddy buddy right from the start with barely so much as a raised word between the two crews. And oh they're going to stranded with limited resources. Right, with the exception of a handful of episodes, nobody ever had to deal with not having food or clean cloths or bathing or not having enough power for the holodeck. The only resources limited were the writer's ideas or the producer's willingness to do something new instead of TNG-light. It would have been more interesting to me if the series had more of a tone like The Year of Hell episodes. And seeing episodes now, the acting is soooo bad I actually groan. This is especially evident in the forced romance between 7's Nines and Chakotay. Zero chemistry. The romance between Data and Jenna D'Sora had more heat.

And finally Enterprise. I really enjoyed the first season of this series, because they were doing stuff a little different. The Enterprise was encountering enemies they couldn't blast their way through and so they had to run. It didn't seem like they were going to technobabble their way to the end of every episode. But then they replaced their lazers with phasers and it was the same crap all over again. They blast their way through all their troubles. But I will say I really loved the mirror universe episodes.

Now that I've had my nerdgasm. Lets all have a laugh at Worf's expense. Check out this youtube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edflm7Hh3hs