Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 12-22-2013, 12:53 AM   #1
Slayback
Animated
Planet X- PX-02 Caelus

Planet X: Caelus
PX-02

Released: Dec 2013
Based: Transformers Fall of Cybertron
Dinobot Swoop

Package includes:
o Caelus figure
o 2 swords
o 2 missile launchers
o instructions
o bio card

Height robot mode: approx 5.5 inches.

I brought in Planet X –Px-01 Genesis (Omega Supreme) earlier this year. From all accounts – he was a great figure, and even though I didn’t get to keep one for myself, I was impressed just holding the box in my hands. That was Omega Supreme, and this is ‘Swoop’. The prototype photos that circulated around the net didn’t impress me. I really hate it when figures are posed holding two weapons crisscrossing their chest. Sorry but they always look lame and I tend not to get the figure if they’re posed in that fashion.

At any rate, I ended up ordering a few and they were all sold before I even got them in. The PX-02 box is simple; it has no magnetic opening nor is it a window box. The front of the box is a computer illustration of Caelus’ chest, and on the back is a more detailed illustration of the FOC Swoop. He comes in a clammed blister pack, which is held in a cardboard insert. Nothing exciting, but I’ll admit, that without taking the figure out of the blister, he looked like a nice figure.

Positives

Detail

The figure has a good amount of circles, squares and lines. All these little things help give the figure some definition and depressions. There isn’t an over complication of detail, but there is just enough to keep the figure interesting.

The wings are definitely not animal like. They’re very robotic and resemble wings of a plane. Each wing has 3 different points where they are hinged, and can be folded away when in robot mode.

The physical stature of the figure is nice. It’s very solid and two little pegs at Caelus’ heels balance the weight of the wings. They pop and help support the weight. The fists can be folded away into the forearms and are covered by a little hatch. He’s got a solid humanoid form, beefy calves and forearms with broad shoulders.

Negatives
The negatives about this figure definitely changed my perspective. There are several things that Planet X failed to execute.

Colours

Unfortunately I wasn’t looking at the figure while I was colour correcting on photoshop! The red for the chest, head fin and the missile launchers are a deep red – almost a blood red. Blood red is cool in name only. It’s pretty dark and lacks anything vibrant. The paint applications they use is a pinkish red. It stands out from the rest of the dark figure, but I feel a brighter colour would have been better suited. The red colour app is consistent with the red found on the Hasbro Grimlock.
The gold or mustard coloured plastic does nothing to enhance the figure but again its consistent with Grimlock. The colour is drab and ultimately pretty boring. I can appreciate the need for a gritty looking figure, but I don’t think the colour choice was even able to achieve that.

Some Detail

The head sculpt of both forms lacks any wow factor. It may resemble the video game, but I feel that a few creative liberties could have been used. The pterodactyl head has beady little eyes, no teeth, and what looks like oversized cheekbones. Caelus robot face has a blue visor and almost no detail for a faceplate.

Transformation

I’m still not sure if I’ve transformed the figure correctly. Aside from flipping fists and legs and the head, there isn’t much to do. The big thruster and wings on Caelus seem more of a backpack then a part of him as they aren’t involved in the transformation process from robot to flying thing. I’m having a hard time conveying this verbally. You fold up legs and arms – you have a flying thing, you unfold arms and legs you have a robot.

Other stuff

Missile Launchers

They match Caelus’ red. They could have really used some eject-able missiles, and while the missile warheads have detail, the launchers lack. The launchers actually remind me of Beast War limbs from some of the characters. It’s a lot of holes and depressions.

Swords

The swords are pink and black with the pink being a paint application.

Instructions

The instructions are very easy to follow. It’s sizeable and you don’t need a magnifying glass to follow the steps.

Bio-Card

Bio-cards are nice coasters. This bio-card is not a nice coaster as its strictly business card stock.
Its not thick and easily tossed away. It has the same illustration found on the back of the box, and on the side are Caelus’ stats.

Things I wished for

There were a lot of things I wished for with this figure.
o Brighter and more vibrant colours – ok the blood red should be something nicer and richer
o More involved transformation process
o Better robot/animal head sculpt
o Nicer missile launchers
o Nicer swords

Overall

The Caelus figure has some nice weight and the plastic is nice. Planet X has taken a character that a lot of people like and made it a reality. Unfortunately, the nice detailing and creation of a figure that the fandom wants isn’t enough to overcome the weak head sculpt, easy transformation process, and poor accessories. The figure makes a great FOC figure, and it’s something I would totally expect from Hasbro. For a third party figure, it failed on too many fronts. Out of 10, I would give it a 3.5, only because they achieved in making a figure look like Swoop, but not succeeding on much else.

http://madhauscollectibles.wordpress...-caelus-px-02/

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	swoop1.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	21783   Click image for larger version

Name:	swoop2.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	21784   Click image for larger version

Name:	swoop3.1.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	21785   Click image for larger version

Name:	swoop5.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	21786   Click image for larger version

Name:	swoop7.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	21787  

Click image for larger version

Name:	swoopguns.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	21788   Click image for larger version

Name:	swoop-missiles.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	21789  

feedback :http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=31815

Last edited by Slayback; 12-22-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Slayback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:26 AM   #2
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian
Re: Planet X- PX-02 Caelus

Alt/Dino mode looks okay - Robot mode....eh...leaves a bit to be desired...

I think I'll pass on this one, not much is really wowing me, Can't really see $80 worth of value here.

Last edited by Cheers Ian; 12-22-2013 at 02:29 AM.
Cheers Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
Pascal
Banned

I like it, I find the sculpt pretty spectacular (especially compared to Energon Swoop).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheers Ian View Post
Can't really see $80 worth of value here.
Under $60 actually.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
Slayback
Animated

Pricing dependent on where you're getting from. TFS and others have it at 80$ not including shipping. Robokingdom $59.90 not including shipping. When you get it from RK - you're going to be over 80$.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
Slave
Energon
Slave's Ebay Auctions

nice looking fig but transformation is wayyyyyyy too simplistic... even the G1 has a more complex transformation. 80$ for this is way too much IMO. Passing on this one.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #6
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Looks cool. May get it at next toy show I'm at since it's been a bit of a dry spell and would like to replace Energon Swoop on my shelf to something that fits in better with FOC Grimlock. Besides if they make the other 3 dinobots....that'd be the tops.

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
Pascal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayback View Post
Pricing dependent on where you're getting from. TFS and others have it at 80$ not including shipping. Robokingdom $59.90 not including shipping. When you get it from RK - you're going to be over 80$.
But when you get it from TFS and others, and it's $80 plus shipping, so probably $90-100, or more if you get hit with customs...
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
The 12th Prime
Lost count, long time ago
The 12th Prime's Ebay Auctions

I dig it, I may scoop one up sometime at a show.
The 12th Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #9
Slayback
Animated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
But when you get it from TFS and others, and it's $80 plus shipping, so probably $90-100, or more if you get hit with customs...
Oh - I don't disagree with you P, I should have been more specific that i was pointing it out that even though its priced under 60$ - its going to be 80 after shipping. (referring to the note prior). And yes -anything from BBTS or TFS you're going to have add the shipping so it goes a little higher. People might wanna wait for Tfcon for this figure.