Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 07-16-2014, 03:18 PM   #1
Ironwave
Seek and Destroy
Hasbro and IDW

Like in all Transformers movies, cartoons, you think Hasbro has a saying in the IDW comics like who dies who comes in and gets seriously injured?
Old 07-16-2014, 03:31 PM   #2
FEZaid
Arabian Knight
Re: Hasbro and IDW

I think Hasbro has more control over the license than IDW.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:48 PM   #3
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Well, I'm sure they have some sort of say. It's in their best interests to have some sort of yay-or-nay in the way character's are portrayed.

I mean, for example, they don't want Optimus to turn into some revenge crazed lunatic that goes around ripping faces... err... ohh...

But seriously, they probably want to keep things with in reason, like not having pervert robots or cold blooded murdering rampages.

But on the other side, I'm sure Hasbro gives IDW a lot of slack to write interesting stories. Take a look what they've been doing with the crew of the Lost Light. And honestly, it doesn't matter who lives or dies. Anyone can come back to life in the next iteration, so I doubt if Hasbro cares about who lives or dies as long as it's not detrimental to the image of the brand.

I think Hasbro is probably only interested in extremely negative portrayals of their characters, like if Megatron went nuts and started screaming racial slurs. Most other things I think are fair game for IDW.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:54 PM   #4
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

I'd say that IDW has free reign to do what they like, within the confines of good taste. I bet Hasbro gives them next to no feedback, except maybe for Movie tie ins.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:07 PM   #5
Ironwave
Seek and Destroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
Well, I'm sure they have some sort of say. It's in their best interests to have some sort of yay-or-nay in the way character's are portrayed.

I mean, for example, they don't want Optimus to turn into some revenge crazed lunatic that goes around ripping faces... err... ohh...

But seriously, they probably want to keep things with in reason, like not having pervert robots or cold blooded murdering rampages.

But on the other side, I'm sure Hasbro gives IDW a lot of slack to write interesting stories. Take a look what they've been doing with the crew of the Lost Light. And honestly, it doesn't matter who lives or dies. Anyone can come back to life in the next iteration, so I doubt if Hasbro cares about who lives or dies as long as it's not detrimental to the image of the brand.

I think Hasbro is probably only interested in extremely negative portrayals of their characters, like if Megatron went nuts and started screaming racial slurs. Most other things I think are fair game for IDW.
No cold blood murdering? And Arcee killing Ratbat by cutting his wings off and legs and then killing/injuring Ravage and Rumble, is not cold blood murder? Lol
Old 07-16-2014, 04:09 PM   #6
Blitzwing
Armada

Well, Bumblebee was originally supposed to die at the beginning of Costa's Ongoing, but Hasbro said no and they killed off Ironhide instead. Apparently that is no longer a concern of Hasbro's after Dark Cybertron.

I'd say they have free reign for the stories they tell, but they do probably get them to use characters that have toys coming out. The IDW tie-ins to Dark Cybertron are a perfect example. I highly doubt it was Barber's idea to give Scoop such a large role, but he had a new Generations toy coming out, so they needed him to be front and centre.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:10 PM   #7
JLvatron
Chosen 1

In the original G1 comics, Simon Furman said Hasbro didn't restrict them. It was Marvel's own regulations which were the issue.

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:33 PM   #8
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

I think Hasbro cares more about making money on anything "Transfomers" than mytho or characters or story.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:15 PM   #9
Masta_Skidz
Theoretician

all I have to say is if you think IDW is violent Read some Marvel G2 Comics those are just brutally violent
Masta_Skidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:14 PM   #10
Wheeljack Off
Banned
Wheeljack Off's Ebay Auctions

Either way...I like what IDW is doing. From the aesthetics to the story lines.

The comics are everything an updated TF adventure should look and feel like.

Last edited by Wheeljack Off; 07-16-2014 at 06:27 PM.
Wheeljack Off is offline   Reply With Quote