Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 06-17-2018, 12:42 PM   #51
Nocturn
Previously Dead
Re: Hasbro Summer Savings - 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngnaw View Post
Doesn't Walmart print on their receipt that if you get a Snarl, then go to TRU and purchase a Dreadwind on sale, then return the Dreadwind to Walmart, they won't accept it since it's Snarl on the receipt? The skus are all different for each figure at Walmart... I say shenanigans on this!
This was my understanding. Every figure has it's own listing in WM's system, not just by size.

Any money-saving method that involves going to the store more than once for a figure, I've never bothered. Standing in the returns line at Wal-mart is pretty far from what I'd consider "fun", and that's what this hobby is supposed to be. IMO.

Honestly we get enough deals with TRU that I rarely buy anything at full price. Presuming I could compile all my full-price purchases from all retailers from the year so far, and get them all price matched down 25%, I'd save like $27, whoopee. Like stated, we all work hard for our money. $27 isn't enough to be worth ruining my morning before work, evening after work, or day off, by arguing with CSR's. Again, IMO, to each their own.

I'm just happy for the deals we do get, and fearful that when we start exploiting them too much, the companies will notice and we won't get deals anymore.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:43 PM   #52
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenstaves View Post
TRU and WM both only recognize figs by their size class, and they're assorted SKUs - a Dreadwind is the same as a Blackwing to the companies

Just tryin' to save a buck, returns/customer service ain't the enemy
Bullshit. Walmart does not work that way. Only Toys "R" Us deals with one SKU for the entire line. You can try exchanging with no receipt but not all Walmart allow that. Many now request the receipt when you want to exchange something.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 01:36 PM   #53
predahank
Storing is hoarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMegatron View Post
Bullshit. Walmart does not work that way. Only Toys "R" Us deals with one SKU for the entire line. You can try exchanging with no receipt but not all Walmart allow that. Many now request the receipt when you want to exchange something.
Even if you manage to pull this greasiness off. You're replacing terrorcons with dreadwinds lets say. Another collector that would have bought them at full price gets denied. The store doesn't get to make a sale, so they don't order more because the dreadwinds shelfwarm and from their perspective, no one wants these ptop deluxes. The only winner is the guy that wanted to save a buck because he works hard for his money.
predahank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:06 PM   #54
evenstaves
you renegade maverick

Quote:
at WM they're assorted SKUs
Quote:
Doesn't Walmart print on their receipt that if you get a Snarl, then go to TRU and purchase a Dreadwind on sale, then return the Dreadwind to Walmart, they won't accept it since it's Snarl on the receipt? The skus are all different for each figure at Walmart... I say shenanigans on this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by predahank View Post
I'm pretty sure that the skus are different for every item at Walmart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturn View Post
This was my understanding. Every figure has it's own listing in WM's system, not just by size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMegatron View Post
Bullshit. Walmart does not work that way. Only Toys "R" Us deals with one SKU for the entire line.
Sorry I was at work today, couldn't respond till now

Stopped off at the local WM for clarification, took a Swoop, a Dreadwing and the price tag on the peg holding them, to a manager (yellow vest)

The peg says "TRA PRIME DELUXE AST"
But when I scan the individual figures at the price checker, it does in fact list them by their specific names

Manager scans the price tag from the shelf and shows his RF gun screen; the "TRA PRIME DELUXE AST" SKU is a "parent/master" SKU that identifies the case the product comes in, the individually-named SKUs on each item are the "child" SKUs (the sale units inside the master case)

He also specified that swapping one figure for another isn't a big deal, especially if they're the same size class (and therefore the exact same price) - after all, a swap is basically a return, followed by a purchase
He indicated that if I wasn't buying a figure, the return would be paid out as a giftcard with the cost of the figure anyways, so taking a same-type figure saves the trouble

Now granted, this policy bit could be the opinion of a single manager, and not indicative of wider practice - I just wanted to clarify that the existence of a master SKU that identifies all figures in a size class (per toyline of course), is absolutely a thing at WalMart, and makes it easier for returns reps to identify that a swap of one for the other, is ideal for them
evenstaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:01 PM   #55
ngnaw
Armada

I still don't understand how you save money by doing this...
Old 06-17-2018, 08:49 PM   #56
Chigimus
Masterpiece

Quote:
I still don't understand how you save money by doing this...
The savings are obtained from TRU. Let's say he gets 4 wave 1 or wave 2 deluxes from TRU with the current sale of buy-1-get-one-half off, then applies the $20 off $50 coupon. That's basically 4 deluxes for $40.

Then you take said product from TRU to a Walmart and as he suggested, exchange them without a receipt for Walmart's stock of wave 3 deluxes. Some Walmarts will do straight exchange for product they carry themselves even without a receipt. Since the UPC's of wave 1 and wave 2 deluxes will still scan and be recognized in Walmart's system, they know they can sell it; some stores will return them to a gift card as store credit only, which is sometimes a moot point to the CSR because they know the customer can just spend the store credit right away so they'll honor the no-receipt exchange. That's where the savings are: the savings are obtained at TRU, then the product gets exchanged at Walmart. YMMV. Apparently the Walmart that evenstaves goes to will allow that sort of thing, but it's not a standard practice company wide.
Chigimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:15 PM   #57
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

And that's the problem with people, if you want to buy the latest wave don't buy older stuff and then re-flood the market with it later on. Hell buy some for extra presents or Christmas toy drives to clear things out faster so stores will get newer cases and waves out faster so you can still buy them during the sale. I feel that would be a more humane way than just buying figures you don't actually want to have some on hand to swap for figures later and screw some store out of money.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:08 PM   #58
ironhide_warmachine
Generation 2
ironhide_warmachine's Ebay Auctions

I have noticed that this topic of ethics in buying widely available earlier wave of figures during sale and then exchanging for a later waves of figure keep getting brought up from time to time. I am fully aware that after I share my piece, the topic will continue to come up again and again. Still here is what I feel about this topic.

First, exchange within the same store doesn't bother me one bit if the items being exchanged are the same dollar value in retail store whether the first item was bought on sale or not. Toys'r'us stores do give out rainchecks on select items and I know that Transformers brand is definitely included. Sometimes it is just convenient to buy double of a figure with the intention of exchanging one later down the line when the next wave hits. Staff members tend to be inconsistent and vary in terms of giving out rainchecks and granting the quantity you request for, so sometimes I just skip the raincheck and just buy extras.

Second, exchange for items in a different store (Toys'r'us x Walmart). I understand that many are arguing against this particular practice. I will make the same argument, doesn't bother me one bit if the items being exchanged are the same dollar value in retail store whether the first item was bought on sale in Toys'r'us or Walmart. If you can do it go for it, but to me it isn't worth the effort of pretending that you don't have the receipt and explaining to the middle-aged lady what is it that you want. Yes arguments about shelf-warmer, and the chances of not getting later waves are reasonable and valid but believe it or not products move sooner or later thanks to children and their parents/grandparents/relatives. Walmart can definitely absorb a few shelf-warmers here and there, I bet they are more worried about theft of items than just left over stock.

I realize as I write that I prefer minimal interaction with the staff as possible.

To the people saying, "why don't you give away the extras you bought as a gift or charity" and "don't dump the non-sellers in Walmart". Not everyone is in the same position as yourself. You may be fortunate enough to do so but many people here have to mind their expenses. Doing what you enjoy should not be exclusive to the wealthy. People save money to spend it on what gives them joy and they will try to stretch that money as far as possible. Imposing standards that restrict them but don't particularly restrict you is being deliberately cruel.

In the end, these are just things people do to get what they want. They don't do this with any ill-intentions. It may be a bit short-sighted and they may see fewer products from the later waves in the long run but that is a consequence of their decision and they have to be okay with that as well. What happens if later waves don't show up? Absolutely nothing, you continue to do the things you do. Remember this is only a hobby and we need to find joy in this not find ways to deny others the same joy.
Now if you talk about KOs, thats a whole different topic.
ironhide_warmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:23 AM   #59
ngnaw
Armada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigimus View Post
The savings are obtained from TRU. Let's say he gets 4 wave 1 or wave 2 deluxes from TRU with the current sale of buy-1-get-one-half off, then applies the $20 off $50 coupon. That's basically 4 deluxes for $40.

Then you take said product from TRU to a Walmart and as he suggested, exchange them without a receipt for Walmart's stock of wave 3 deluxes. Some Walmarts will do straight exchange for product they carry themselves even without a receipt. Since the UPC's of wave 1 and wave 2 deluxes will still scan and be recognized in Walmart's system, they know they can sell it; some stores will return them to a gift card as store credit only, which is sometimes a moot point to the CSR because they know the customer can just spend the store credit right away so they'll honor the no-receipt exchange. That's where the savings are: the savings are obtained at TRU, then the product gets exchanged at Walmart. YMMV. Apparently the Walmart that evenstaves goes to will allow that sort of thing, but it's not a standard practice company wide.
So you don't even buy anything from Walmart, you just go in, bring the figures you bought from TRU, get the ones from Walmart and do the exchange? meh! I don't mind screwing over Walmart but too much running around! I'll be patient and get them from TRU!

Last edited by ngnaw; 06-18-2018 at 08:30 AM.
ngnaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:25 AM   #60
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Now granted, this policy bit could be the opinion of a single manager, and not indicative of wider practice - I just wanted to clarify that the existence of a master SKU that identifies all figures in a size class (per toyline of course), is absolutely a thing at WalMart
That is irrelevant since the master SKU is not used at the point of sale, and figures nowhere on the receipt, you just proved that in your lenghty post and thats what we were discussing all along.

And yes, what you mention is just from your manager, it is not at all a general Walmart policy. If it works for you, then all the best with it but I just wanted to let you know that it is not common practice and may not be around forever.

Like Gnaw, I just stick with TRU.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote