Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > TFcon Discussion

Old 07-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
teruo313
Beasty
Advice for a newbie dealer

Hey all

After a lot of thought I decided to book a booth for this year's convention (Saturday only) to greatly downsize my collection. I just have a couple questions that hopefully either dealers or others can help with. Forgive me if this isn't the place to put this thread.

1. On setup days i.e. Friday night or Saturday morning, do dealers ever trade/sell amongst themselves? Not really looking for anything myself but just wanted to know what the standard protocol is. Don't want to break any unwritten rules"

2. Does having prices on figures make things easier or just a price list is sufficient? (Both buyer and seller input on this would be greatly appreciated)

3. If you sell off everything or at least a majority of the figures, is it taboo to pack up the booth even if the convention hasn't finished yet?

4. Is theft ever an issue? I know to a degree theft is always an issue at conventions but is it on the forefront of vendors minds? I plan on having all of the more expensive items on a back display shelf, but just wondered.

5. Lastly, do people appreciate having loose figures bagged or is loose and left on the table better so they can be handled to see how the joints, etc are.

Thanks in advance. This is my 4th Tfcon but first as a dealer.

Thanks
teruo313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus
Re: Advice for a newbie dealer

As a buyer I like seeing prices on items, but asking is not that big of a hassle really. I'm kind of neutral on this one because I don't think a lack of prices really hurts you as a seller.

As for loose versus bagged, I prefer bagged (so none of the missiles etc. Go missing. If they want to see the joints and transform it they can ask and remove it from the bag for that purpose.

If you sell it all close up and clear your table. I know I've seen at least one person in the past do this. He was selling G1 at very reasonable prices and was done before noon on Saturday.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
Sideswipe
Break it down!

You could set up a diorama if you bring some extra stuff once you sold out.
Sideswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
Nullray
IGC

Just have fun. Its a great time.

Bring bags so you can put your sold items in for people. Makes a world of difference.
Nullray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
freakx2001
Transformers Animated
freakx2001's Ebay Auctions

As a dealer you get early access. I attended the Action figure expo and had a table, once I was setup, I was able to walk around and look at what everyone else had. Normally no one minded if I purchased anything, your money is just as good as a customers money...
freakx2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #6
Aernaroth
Metroplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by teruo313 View Post
Hey all

After a lot of thought I decided to book a booth for this year's convention (Saturday only) to greatly downsize my collection. I just have a couple questions that hopefully either dealers or others can help with. Forgive me if this isn't the place to put this thread.

1. On setup days i.e. Friday night or Saturday morning, do dealers ever trade/sell amongst themselves? Not really looking for anything myself but just wanted to know what the standard protocol is. Don't want to break any unwritten rules"

2. Does having prices on figures make things easier or just a price list is sufficient? (Both buyer and seller input on this would be greatly appreciated)

3. If you sell off everything or at least a majority of the figures, is it taboo to pack up the booth even if the convention hasn't finished yet?

4. Is theft ever an issue? I know to a degree theft is always an issue at conventions but is it on the forefront of vendors minds? I plan on having all of the more expensive items on a back display shelf, but just wondered.

5. Lastly, do people appreciate having loose figures bagged or is loose and left on the table better so they can be handled to see how the joints, etc are.

Thanks in advance. This is my 4th Tfcon but first as a dealer.

Thanks
Haven't done any dealing at the show for years, but I'll try and give these a shot.

1) I think so, but it likely depends on the dealer.

2) Definitely makes it easier! Just use something that doesn't permanently mark/scuff/scum up the package or make it difficult to remove. I've seen post-it notes used before, and they seemed to work pretty well.

3) Not at all, I've seen dealers do it before. Probably a good idea to tell someone on staff though, so they know what the deal is.

4) Yes, unfortunately. TFcon's got good security, and I don't think I've ever heard it be a major issue, but it is something you should be aware of. Make sure you have enough people to watch your booth effectively and keep an eye on your stuff.

5) Depends on the person. Personally, I prefer them bagged, but I can see the appeal in being able to take them out and test the joints, get a closer look at the plastic and decals, etc. Bagging them makes it easier to transport and keep all those bits together though. Maybe bag them, but encourage customers to take them out for a closer look if they're interested?
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:34 PM   #7
teruo313
Beasty

Thanks everyone for your feedback. You guys have given me a lot of useful information. I'm really looking forward to this. (although my wife i think is looking forward to me emptying out my shelves even more)
teruo313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:37 PM   #8
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon

You can't close down your table until the dealer room closes.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:43 PM   #9
racerguy76
Nexus Maximus

1. Everything is for sale, all the time.

2. Prices on figures help a lot. For both you and the buyer.

3. I would say if you sold everything leave, but some conventions ask you stay till a certain time. EDIT - SEE!!^^^

4. Theft is always an issue, but I never worry about it. Expensive stuff on the shelf behind you(take shelving) cheaper stuff on the table in front of you. Simple.

5. Bagged figures are best. Keeps things sorted and if they really want to check it out the can just open the bag. (dollar store ziplocks are best)

6. Have fun.

7. Profit
Old 07-27-2012, 02:32 AM   #10
Sunstar
All Hail Starscream!

I've been at TFcon once in a "dealer" setup where I was actually selling for someone else but had a display of my own collection.

You might want to bring in some display items if you fear you may sell out.

I like baggies, and I like seeing prices on items. I usually think "if I have to ask, I can't afford.

Theft is an unfortunate thing. It happens. They're Really good with security there. But you'll get some person with a malfunction that feels they deserve whatever it is they got their sticky fingers on.

Best bet: bring a friend. Have a rotating shift so you can run to the loo or get something to eat. I've worked antique shows before and you can have LONG gruelling days if you are the only one there.

Evil Chefticon
Owner of starscream.ca the new Sunstar's Seeker Sanctuary Home!
Sunstar is offline   Reply With Quote