Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 06-09-2009, 11:57 PM   #91
onecoin
Banned
Re: ZOMG SHOPLIFTING!!!!111!!ONE!

All I know is she asked if he was going to pay for the items. Everything else about her response is completely subjective. I may have a different response if I was there, but I wasn't. Implied meaning, tone and volume are defined by the recipient. We cannot be sure if she was aggressive, or tactless, because we have no measurable scale here for those. And we only have the word of one side of the issue. Like when people on this board misunderstand sarcastic responses.

Even alarms at stores. When they go off they "imply" that the person walking through them is stealing something. They are incredibly loud. Especially the WM ones that talk. I can here them from the other side of the store. I get "dinged" by them all the time and it is very embarrassing. And everytime it happens to me it is always false. But I stay calm, explain I don't have anything, show them my receipt, deal with thier suspicions and walk away knowing that the machine was wrong, and it just happens.

PR wise, if someone came to the board. Until a few of us started noting that maybe she wasn't all that wrong. It looked pretty bad for TRU. As a customer I like to see that they are doing something about it. Maybe it will keep their prices lower. If it was a smaller business, like my comic shop or Kings Skate Shop. I would encourage it and if I saw it I would try to help, if it means that it helps keep them in business. And I have. Even if it was just to stand there and look like I was shopping for similar items.

As a former retail employee, I worked in a sport clothing store in a mall, it was a little different than this, but I followed the protocal told to me about suspected thieves. And I watched security guards do much worse than this.

Thinking more about this, again. I think that first SR should have put his bags at the front counter. And since that did not happen, I think when the TRU employee saw that he was carrying bags, she should have told him that he needed to check them in at the front counter. At this point she could make sure he has a reciept for the items in the bag, without "implying" that he was stealing. If he refuses to check them in, she is well within her rights to ask him to leave, for not following store policy.

Last edited by onecoin; 06-10-2009 at 12:14 AM.
onecoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:50 AM   #92
S.A.A.M.
Beast Machine

You know what I think?

I think SR walked in to TRU with nothing but empty WM bags in his pocket.

Proceeded to stuff the empty bags with merchandise.

Was confronted.

Bolted out the door.

And made up the rest of the story...

I'm joking, of course.
S.A.A.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:55 AM   #93
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by onecoin View Post
All I know is she asked if he was going to pay for the items. Everything else about her response is completely subjective. I may have a different response if I was there, but I wasn't. Implied meaning, tone and volume are defined by the recipient. We cannot be sure if she was aggressive, or tactless, because we have no measurable scale here for those. And we only have the word of one side of the issue. Like when people on this board misunderstand sarcastic responses.

Even alarms at stores. When they go off they "imply" that the person walking through them is stealing something. They are incredibly loud. Especially the WM ones that talk. I can here them from the other side of the store. I get "dinged" by them all the time and it is very embarrassing. And everytime it happens to me it is always false. But I stay calm, explain I don't have anything, show them my receipt, deal with thier suspicions and walk away knowing that the machine was wrong, and it just happens.

PR wise, if someone came to the board. Until a few of us started noting that maybe she wasn't all that wrong. It looked pretty bad for TRU. As a customer I like to see that they are doing something about it. Maybe it will keep their prices lower. If it was a smaller business, like my comic shop or Kings Skate Shop. I would encourage it and if I saw it I would try to help, if it means that it helps keep them in business. And I have. Even if it was just to stand there and look like I was shopping for similar items.

As a former retail employee, I worked in a sport clothing store in a mall, it was a little different than this, but I followed the protocal told to me about suspected thieves. And I watched security guards do much worse than this.

Thinking more about this, again. I think that first SR should have put his bags at the front counter. And since that did not happen, I think when the TRU employee saw that he was carrying bags, she should have told him that he needed to check them in at the front counter. At this point she could make sure he has a reciept for the items in the bag, without "implying" that he was stealing. If he refuses to check them in, she is well within her rights to ask him to leave, for not following store policy.
Reasonable I guess, but then there is still the matter you have withTRU store policy, which several of us have commented on as being questionable since as far back as I can remember no TRU employee has ever told me to check any Wal-Mart, Superstore, Zellers, Winners, what have you bags at the desk.
I am still saying that, that is not store policy, I don't give a damn if there are signs posted at the front door when you come it. I am still sticking with the thought that TRU is referring to School Bags until one of their employees actually calls me on it.

Hell back at the beginning of May I walked into Tru with a ton of Universe deluxes purchased from Wal-Mart in a Wal-Mart bag. Nobody ever said anything to me about paying for them. And I was in the TF aisle as well hunting for something to buy and getting pretty much one thing. But that's beside the point.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #94
Pascal
Banned

I can't believe this thread is 10-page long now.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:54 PM   #95
Sting Rose
Robot Heroes Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I can't believe this thread is 10-page long now.
I know, right? XD Really, I'm more amused than anything. I think everything was that I needed to know or that needed to be said was done and over with in the first three pages, and I was pretty done with it around that point, so when 7 pages rolled around, I just had a double take. "What, seriously?" And now it's at 10. Pft, ha.

Thanks to most all of you who've been extremely helpful in sharing your experiences and/or advice so I could better deal with this situation, or just for your amusing anecdotes. Much appreaciated.
Sting Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:26 PM   #96
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

Here is some advice...change your settings to more than 10 posts per page...
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:53 PM   #97
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post

Holy crap, that makes a big difference.

... Makes the picture heavy threads take longer to load though...
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:35 AM   #98
Evan
Nexus Maximus

I was accused of shoplifting CDs at a Zellers once. The short version is three or four employees gathered around me. They took merchandise that I had previously purchased, until I could prove it was mine (I had to leave the store and come back with the receipt). They refused to check stock, cameras, or even electronics to ask if anyone had seen me back there. Naturally, I didn't even go to electronics. If they would just ask if employees in that dept saw me, it would help my case. But no. Any suggestion I made they ignored. Complaining got me no where. I didn't contact head office though. I really wish I had. To this day, the whole experience still makes me angry.

You're probably scratching your head saying, "There's a few holes in your story." But again, that's just the short version. In the end, I was able to prove my innocence and my property was returned.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:56 AM   #99
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
I had no idea you could do that... Thanks!

Oh yeah, and shoplifting is bad (just to stay on topic).

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote