Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > TFcon Discussion

Old 07-22-2016, 08:39 AM   #31
TRUCKvsGUN
Re: suggestions for tfcon 2017

Kinda like a TF Collecting 101? I'd drag my gf to that

Contact me if you have for sale:
Transformers: The Ultimate Pop-Up Universe Book
Botcon 2006 Dawn of Futures Past Boxed Set
MP-01 Matrix
POTP Onyx Prime
TRUCKvsGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:28 AM   #32
Sunstar
All Hail Starscream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindsorcerer View Post
Send all camera and cellphone to the side . I was staring at like 8 hands holding cellphone over their head at the Frank Welker q/a . I considered leaving ... Was pretty unpleasant .

Blindsorcerer
Or Just ban their use all together. I sit off to the side because I am short, and if its not a head in my view its a phone - or in one case a tablet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuG View Post
Another suggestion that I thought of while at the con and just remembered is possibly providing a blank space on the lanyards for people to write their names on so other board members and attendees can say hi. Personally I remember faces better than I do names so sorry if I forgot anyone's this past weekend.
Place for name, a plastic sleeve, guest signing times.

Make the scheduled a little more clear. I thought it opened at 9 on sunday and it was not until 10. I was a little embarrassed by that.

Evil Chefticon
Owner of starscream.ca the new Sunstar's Seeker Sanctuary Home!
Sunstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:39 AM   #33
SanMiguel
Beasty
SanMiguel's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaprime View Post
Custom 3d contest judge by the people attending ..
TF Con fans choice award or something. Plus a proper awarding ceremony for the participants & winners of the 3d/2d contest. Wish they could at least found a sponsor for the winners like vouchers or gift cert or something.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:08 PM   #34
emiratexaaron
Mini-Con

Overall, TFcon was excellent again this year. Registration was easy and well-organized, as usual. The panels ran on time as far as I could tell. There was a lovely showcase of 3rd party toys.

The comic made fun of the special guests, which seemed in poor taste. I hope that comic does not negatively impact the ability of TFcon to attract quality guests in the future. I would suggest a more careful editing process for the comic in the future.

I loved the Ages 3 & Up bags. Those were awesome for shopping in the dealer room. If those could happen again next year, that would great. Or, if TFcon wanted to sell a bag in addition to a shirt? I’d be interested.

The format of the TFcon 2016 Costume Contest was not as appealing as previous years. As with previous years, all of the children were winners, which was good. The next generation of Transformers fans needs to be encouraged, and by making all of the children winners, TFcon wisely avoids Parent Drama.

However, with the adult contest, they passed a signup sheet down the line, which was fine, but then it seemed they didn’t bother to use any of the information that the contestants had written down, which made the sign-up sheet seem pointless. Either use the information on the sign-up sheet or don’t have one. Either way is fine.

Then, they awarded a first prize and a best acting, and that was it, two total prizes.

TFcon 2016 awarded a first prize, best transforming, and most creative, which was better, because the most creative award went to one of the humanized Transformers. The costumers who make humanized Transformers put tremendous work into their outfits, and it was nice to see one of them get a nod of approval.

This year, there was a very intricate humanized Cyclonus who was a dead ringer for Alex Milne’s official MTMTE design, and she acted out Cyclonus’s stoic demeanour, too, for example. It would have been nice to see her or one of the other humanized Transformers get a nod.

TFcon 2015, 2014, 2013, and 2012 all did first, second, and third prizes, which were also better options than what 2016 did, because by having a third prize, at least one more person was acknowledged and was able to take home some warm fuzzy feelings.

With regards to prizes, if there wasn’t money in the budget for a third prize this year, even a paper certificate would have been fine. It’s not about the prizes. It’s about the acknowledgement.

TFnation in the UK actually splits the contest into robots and humans/humanized/humanoids and has first, second, and third for both categories, for a total of six prizes! http://tfnation.com/2016/cosplay-competition

The Quest Bar/restaurant was weird this year. In previous years, they’ve let me order off the normal menu, but this year, they refused to let me. Yes, I know that food is more expensive, but sometimes, I just want something somewhat fancy because I am celebrating.

In short, excellent convention, just needs some fine-tuning and continued progress.
emiratexaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:54 PM   #35
Gumby
Beasty

Banning cellphones and cameras from panels is just silly.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:32 AM   #36
Malwave
Resident Gryphon
Malwave's Ebay Auctions
Send a message via MSN to Malwave Send a message via Skype™ to Malwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMiguel View Post
TF Con fans choice award or something. Plus a proper awarding ceremony for the participants & winners of the 3d/2d contest. Wish they could at least found a sponsor for the winners like vouchers or gift cert or something.
I'm going to argue that the ceremony for this was as long as it needed to be....yes a lil more pomp and circumstance would be nice, but it is in the panel room in between 2 different larger events....speaking as the guy who got 3rd in the 3D art contest this year. I honestly feel the trophies are bit more worth it since Stu and co. have to custom make them every year.

that said, if I recall, it wasn't on the schedule this time around, and the only reason I was there was due to chance. That threw me off a bit
Malwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:19 AM   #37
Stormrave
Machine War

I really appreciate printing the schedule on the back of the passes. It's far more convenient than putting it in the program and I rely on it to get to events I want to see.

Because of this, though, it's better if panels don't start early. I too missed the script reading because it started early. I showed up at the time on the schedule and it was just ending.

I also understand that sometimes you can't magically know how long something will take, leading to the awkwardness at Mr Dille's Movie presentation. Mr Dille talked with the audience a lot, which was awesome, but also made the movie run long.

I know sometimes emergencies and unforeseen events happen, but if they do, I'd like to suggest an announcement be made (in the dealer's room, panel room and hallway) Maybe also a message on the notice board? I think people would understand an announcement saying Faction Feud would be delayed by 20 minutes or that the script reading was starting early. (And if it didn't have to start early, waiting for the scheduled time would be better than an announcement).

The con comic was disappointing this year. I understand the intent was a parody, but it came off in poor taste--especially because the parody didn't reflect what I've seen at the con itself in the 11 years I've been attending. TFCon is a friendly con that respects its guests and welcomes fans of all ages, genders, orientations and nationalities, and that's what the comic should reflect.

I rather liked the comics that tied in with the story from the script reading.

I don't know if the con has any control over the Quest Bar's pricing. I voted with my wallet and went to Burger King more this year. It's sort of a shame when the special menu didn't offer any savings over the regular menu.

I wonder if a map of local restaurants could be a thing? Probably the hotel wants as many people as possible to eat there. It's amazing how many people didn't know there was a Burger King in easy walking distance.

I continue to love the robot-themed drinks. Please keep doing these.

I enjoyed this year's panels on transforming robots in Japanese culture and the different Japanese Transformers series. I enjoyed past years' panels about unreleased toys, all about prototypes and Transformers video games through the franchise's history too. It's always great to see new stuff that isn't fandom general knowledge and, even if it is on the Internet, you might not know where to find it or what to look for.

There are some panels that are just traditions not to mess with: the script reading, Faction Feud, voice actor panel, etc are perfect as they are.

The charity auction on Friday night remains the best time, before we all lose our money in the dealers' room.

I wonder if publically posting signage and/or pre-panel announcements would help make certain people more considerate. In past years I've heard more complaints about different types of rudeness: getting hit in the face by overstuffed backpacks when the wearer turns around, people using strollers as cowcatchers to shove through crowds, cellphones in faces, children grabbing things that don't belong to them, etc.

I think it's unreasonable to ban strollers/backpacks/cellphones/etc as plenty of people use these things responsibly and if you've got toddlers or mobility issues then large devices aren't optional and you shouldn't be shut out of the dealer's room because you need them. There are also a lot of well-behaved kids at TFCon and we want to encourage parents to bring kids.

Would people notice a reminder to carry rather than wear bags in crowds (the giveaway bags are great for this, minimizing the need to take a big backpack), respect the view of people behind you in panels, be mindful with large equipment, that parents are responsible for the behaviour of their children, etc?

I've noticed that Oasis's helpful announcements at the start of panels have seriously reduced the amount of "people noisily transforming toys during panels" which was a rude thing people did a lot of several years ago and almost nobody does now. So it's not that we're all ruder; we've actually gotten politer about this, and the announcements helped.
Stormrave is offline   Reply With Quote