Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-21-2012, 12:03 AM   #801
nickh
Beasty
Re: ShelfLife Beta Test Announcement: Very Exciting Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozrein View Post
Hey Nick, have you had a chance to review the Joe 25th Ann. catalog? I've still got to add in a few variants and such.
Hey Ozrein. I'm going through the spreadsheet in more detail now, and plan to have it imported this weekend. Apologies for the delay, mate.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:04 AM   #802
Ozrein
Stunticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickh View Post
Hey Ozrein. I'm going through the spreadsheet in more detail now, and plan to have it imported this weekend. Apologies for the delay, mate.
Oh no worries, just wondering how it was going.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:50 AM   #803
nickh
Beasty

Hey guys. So it's Saturday night, I'm hacking away on ShelfLife, and as I usually do, I checked our stats dashboard. However, tonight, I was totally blown away. Check out the image below.

That's quite a milestone for all of us! All of you guys are helping to make ShelfLife the best collector's platform in the world. James and I want to send a huge shout-out to all of the curators, especially, for their hard work and dedication to what they love.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sl_dashboard_snippet.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	13030  
Old 01-22-2012, 02:22 AM   #804
faustx
ShelfLife Founder

Hey all!

20,000 items, way to go!

So the GIJOE 25th Anniversary catalogue went live tonight but it needs photos.

Can you guys donate whatever you've got to help it along. I'll get some done shortly as well and chip in.

James
faustx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #805
Ozrein
Stunticon

As far as that Catalog goes, if we could talk to a site like yojoe.com where they have pics for all items already, that'd make things alot easier. I know most, if not all, their pics have been submitted from users from their own collections, however I have no idea how the legalities of that work but I just thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

Oh and Faust, I did get your message about the pics, if you want to send anything you have over or I can contact you later tonight when I have a bit more time to spend on the catalog.

Last edited by Ozrein; 01-22-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Ozrein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #806
faustx
ShelfLife Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozrein View Post
As far as that Catalog goes, if we could talk to a site like yojoe.com where they have pics for all items already, that'd make things alot easier. I know most, if not all, their pics have been submitted from users from their own collections, however I have no idea how the legalities of that work but I just thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

Oh and Faust, I did get your message about the pics, if you want to send anything you have over or I can contact you later tonight when I have a bit more time to spend on the catalog.
As per the curation guide over here:

http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...ight=shelflife

, pretty much the last place we would try to get pics is from a fan site /news site. The thing you need to understand is that all of those sites run on banner advertising money and the site hits come from having unique content. It would be unwise of them to share that content for free, and unwise for us to pay for it.

As such we need to access the other sources available to get the job done, which has gone rather well so far on other similar catalogues.

For the record, here are the general image sourcing guidelines again:
Regarding image sourcing, here are some tips:

1) Never take them from fan sites, photographers or blogs who make money/get eyeballs from their custom photos. A great example of a tempting but inelligible target is Seiberton.com galleries.

2) Best bet is take them yourself.

3) When you can't, try to get them from a fellow collector.

4) Where that fails, you can try to borrow them from online retailers who likely have nice photos and will discard them within months and never use them again. This really only works for new stuff.

5) Where #4 fails you can checked expired ebay auctions for personal use photos on products that have sold and will likely not be used again. This is less cool if it's a regular ebay vendor who may reuse their photos (think wheeljackslab).

6) If none of that works, leave it blank! One of the other site members will eventually fill it in.

Summary: Do your best, don't break any laws and we all win.

Cheers!

James
faustx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #807
razin
Canadian Slag
Send a message via MSN to razin

Both TF:Prime RID and TF:P Cyberverse have been submitted for approval.
razin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #808
Slayback
Animated

I dunno if this has been mentioned before : but i'm really noticing it right now- due to Battle Beasts etc. A lot of this is repetition of inputting the same data. I was wondering if the code couldn't have been inputted for the whole category via 1 main master list? so for eg. Battle Beast series 1: year 1986; made by: Takara, Product Line : Battle Beasts ... etc etc.
(sorry -i've realised i didnt input the year in series 1 and stuff and having to go through each individual one kinda bites. Mainly because i have to go out and back in to see the line of guys -((that probably didn't make any sense))).

feedback :http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=31815
Slayback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #809
nickh
Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayback View Post
I dunno if this has been mentioned before : but i'm really noticing it right now- due to Battle Beasts etc. A lot of this is repetition of inputting the same data. I was wondering if the code couldn't have been inputted for the whole category via 1 main master list? so for eg. Battle Beast series 1: year 1986; made by: Takara, Product Line : Battle Beasts ... etc etc.
(sorry -i've realised i didnt input the year in series 1 and stuff and having to go through each individual one kinda bites. Mainly because i have to go out and back in to see the line of guys -((that probably didn't make any sense))).
Yeah, in some catalogs, there's a fair bit of repetition. Let me know if you'd like to build your next catalog using a spreadsheet instead of the Online Curator Tools, mate.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #810
nickh
Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by razin View Post
Both TF:Prime RID and TF:P Cyberverse have been submitted for approval.
That was quick, razin. Approved!

Check it out guys:
Prime: Robots in Disguise
Prime: Cyberverse

Tags
collecting, shelflife