Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 07-23-2009, 07:29 PM   #21
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag
Re: Transformers ONLY for kids?

For the most part, I don't care what the others think, but I don't advertise that I collect transformers either. Funny though, its not an issue, no pun intended, when I talk about the comic books I collect.

I've thought a little about this, and you know what, everyone plays with toys. Think about someone who pimps out their car or spends ten-grand on a home entertainment system, to me that's just "man-size" toys with the price tags to go along with them. To me it's all the same. It's mostly about the cool factor. Pimped out cars are cool but so are transformers. And ins most cases transformers are cheaper and retain theire monitary value better.

Man us closet TF collectors should start a parade. Call it the Prime parade....
Old 07-23-2009, 07:34 PM   #22
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

I just shrug it off and compare it to adults collecting baseball cards, or stamps.

Plus, if there were no adult market for toys, then we would never see things like those really highly detailed Spawn figures. And really, highly detailed bloodied corpses and demons stylized to evoke terror and fear (and awesomeness) are definitely not geared for children. Since they existed, and have continued to exist for like 10 years, I'd say there's a pretty decent sized market for them.

Or I just point out Seth Green and his work on Robot Chicken.

Or that Jackie Chan collects tea cups.

We all have our own little quirks that get us through our lives.

edit: Personally, I find it little different from art collecting. Its just that our statues are made of plastic and metal, and are not limited to one pose. And we can sometimes act pretty childish with them if we wanted to.

Last edited by Shepp; 07-23-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:47 PM   #23
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

i only had one girl say anything, but her intelligence level was pretty low, (knew her personally)

my wife at first thought it was cute, now i have her asking to watch the next ep of animated (we just watched velocity) and we watched rotf together the day after our honeymoon, she enjoys it and has her own little collection,

i found with other adults, as long as you let them tf a couple, they don't ridicule me, i worked in an aircraft factory for a while and brought in MP skywarp, they loved the amount of detail and the complexity of it,

my parents are starting to come around, my dad is very interested in the engineering that goes into them, and really like fansproject's work, knowing they are a small group of fans designing and making all these upgrades (and hopefully figures) makes him like them more,

everyone has their addictions, coffee, drugs, booze, work, etc, our just happens to be plastic, and basically harmless.

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW

Last edited by brr-icy; 07-23-2009 at 07:52 PM.
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:10 PM   #24
Unicrons_Domain
Banned

I'm 280 pounds of muscle so if someone says anything I just pound them!
If I’m going the intellectual route, I just ask them what they do for fun, or ask them what there favorite thing to do as a child was? Then I explain to them that as a child, my parents were not able to buy more then 3 transformers in total because of the cost but now as an adult I have the money to do what I wanted to do as a child. To each there own!

Cheers!
Unicrons_Domain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:52 PM   #25
DECEPTICON_BRAWL
Autocepticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I say "your mom stinks". Then I run.
LOL!!!

I VOTE FOR A LEADER CLASS FALLEN!!!!!
DECEPTICON_BRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:14 PM   #26
Protoman
The Legend

Not to sound like an ego head....... but no never. They meet me, then ask why, then they understand, conform and become one with the allspark....... anyone that came to Montreal Toycon 2008 and heard my huge rant and theory on toys and men...... they know.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:14 AM   #27
C_Shewins
Robot Master

I once told my co-worker I have more than 500 pieces of Transformers figure...then he gave me this weird look. Oh, well. I said he is stupid too, cuz he supe up his car and it doesn't get more horse power for the stuff he does with his car And then we both laugh.

Just got:
ROTF Bruticus, Supreme Devastator, ROTF Leader Jetfire, DIA Commander Trailer, HA SKid.
C_Shewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:55 AM   #28
jackalprime
Y U NO MAKE NEW BEASTWARS
jackalprime's Ebay Auctions

A little off topic here but how do you guys display your transformers? There's another thing, displaying something makes them a collectable and not toys MP anything is definately NOT a toy. I think anything below a voyager is geared towards kids but are also good display pieces. I have a few deluxe and they look great (skids and mudflap to name a couple. check out my custom job on my profile or in the customs social group) our hobby harms no one, and it makes us happy and it interests us. Either for nostalgia or the engineering aspect.

"for everything there ever was"

jackalprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:11 AM   #29
pulsedragon20
I win

My friends mocked me for collecting TFs, except for the ones who has hobbies also (Gundam, trading card, etc..)

I usually say when they critize me "It's something to keep me busy and I made some 'serious cash' from doing so".

-- I actually don't make lots of money because I only sell doubles (which I have extremly little of now) or run out of room (which hasn't happend yet)

Also, most of family thinks I'm very childish for collecting TFs excvept for my aunt (who collects art) and my cousin who used to collect G1 figures when he was a kid

Last edited by pulsedragon20; 07-24-2009 at 02:16 AM.
pulsedragon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:25 AM   #30
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

I haven't run into any weirdness as an adult. Most people know I'm a big TF fan, I don't really talk about it, but especially with the movies out and my insignia tattoos, people bring it up.

When I was still a teenager my dad would always say "why are you wasting your money on that crap, buy something useful." Says the man who keeps "collectible" boxes of cereal because they might be worth something someday. No joke. Vancouver Grizzlies corn pops! Ah, my dad's cool. He just wasn't great at parenting a teenager. =)
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adult, jackalprime, kids, transformers