Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-17-2017, 12:07 PM   #11
Sir Prime A Lot
Energon
Re: wILL YOU BUY from Canadian Ebay sellers that charge TAX on top???

You can't charge tax on an auction. If I auction my car at Barrett - Jackson, can I charge tax?
Sir Prime A Lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:58 PM   #12
The 12th Prime
Lost count, long time ago
The 12th Prime's Ebay Auctions

Individual sellers, never. If they payed customs I'm sure that's worked into the price. An actual store with an eBay page maybe if the item is new and the price is good. I dislike the idea of used items having tax being charged on them again. The CRA may really love stores like Value Village where items might be donated more than once in their lifetime and tax is charged on it each time plus when it was new, that is total bullshit to me and I will never support or encourage it.
The 12th Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:38 PM   #13
omegacanuck
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Prime A Lot View Post
You can't charge tax on an auction. If I auction my car at Barrett - Jackson, can I charge tax?
Well, barring the part where Barrett Jackson is held in the US, the answer is yes. However, keep in mind that Ebay is a little different than a standard auction. I can tell you that if you go to an auction in Canada they will indeed charge you GST on your winnings. One difference is that Ebay is more of a facilitator than an actual auction house. They take a cut and charge fees, but at the end of the day, the seller deals with the buyer. In a normal auction, the buyer often doesn't even know who the seller is. The buyer pays the auction house, who then calculates the fees, and then cuts a check to the seller.

That being said, Ebay does recognize the need for some sellers to collect tax. A search for 'tax' on their help site, leads to:

Here's what we found for "What are the terms and conditions?"
The terms and conditions of a listing are set by the seller. They include:
Shipping information
Forms of payment accepted
When payment is expected
Handling charges
Any taxes that may apply

Again, if someone is really against paying the tax, they certainly can just avoid that seller. That simple. I know back when I used to sell on Ebay, I'd just do it as tax included, but that was a choice I made.
omegacanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:00 PM   #14
Pgianos
Banned

Clearly and understandably people are saying they won't buy from a seller that charges tax out of principle. And fair enough but if after tax the price is still a good deal I'm going to buy it. But that's a hypothetical as I've never encountered that. I rarely buy from Canadian etailers bc before tax the prices are usually not competitive so after taxes they don't have a chance. Same with eBay sellers that add tax.
Pgianos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:44 AM   #15
Optimus Puto
Generation 2

I totally AGREE ! AGES 3 AND UP is a fantastic canadian online store BUT after you factor taxes and shipping all the potential savings gets all eaten up and you end up paying more than retail.
Optimus Puto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:19 PM   #16
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Prime A Lot View Post
You must charge tax if you are a business, even if its an auction. Unles you dont declare your earnings, but thats another discussion.

Standard auctionners (with the hammer and all) charge taxes on the products you win.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:27 PM   #17
Hoffman
Generation 1

You don't necessarily have to charge tax if you are a business. You're only required to register for a GST account once you hit a certain sales volume.

Though once you're registered you do have to continue to charge tax regardless of your volume.

So...I don't really know what my point is. Some people may be collecting money they don't have to, some might be genuinely collecting and remitting to the government.

Last edited by Hoffman; 01-23-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:19 PM   #18
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

Man, I WISH Hasbro Toy Shop would sell to canadians on E-bay through a Hasbro canada subsidiary. They would obviously charge tax but I would be so happy to pay it.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote