Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-31-2011, 10:39 PM   #1
flexativity
Generation 2
flexativity's Ebay Auctions
What type of collector are you?

Are you strictly G1? Are you Protoman with the carazy amount of Rodimus'? Do you just collect sets? Movie only collector? Hasbro only? Takara only? Exclusives? MISB only? Open, Play, Display? Scalper?
flexativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:42 PM   #2
Dragon Knight
Geass'd
Re: What type of collector are you?

I only buy what I like, I don't go for complete sets. usually, I'll open and play with them unless it's something indent to get signed by someone.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:01 PM   #3
ConvoyGTR
Generation 2

I have a Optimus collection. My goal is one of each mold and usually the regular mold so no Lucky Draws or other crazy repaints.

The rest is what I find interesting enough to get, I try to be as picky as I can to keep cost down. I try to be a mold completest, but if the toy sucks enough, no go. Also I don't buy anything under Scout class and never to any repaints. If a show is good enough I will try to be a toy representation of it, otherwise just a Optimus and maybe some other figure I find really interesting.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:02 PM   #4
bedtime
Nexus Maximus

I feel like this thread just happened like a few months ago but yeah - I buy what i think is cool, open it all and do my damndest to display all of it

i'm @bedtime_ on twitter.
bedtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:14 PM   #5
shockwing
Please, call me Bringer

mix of things, I buy figure for the mold more than the character, it depends. like drift, cool figure, not so cool character. but the recent transformer-prime episode with optimus, now really want the voyager figure.
shockwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:31 PM   #6
razin
Canadian Slag
Send a message via MSN to razin

I'm a completionist by my own rules. Meaning I collect everything I feel makes up the collection of specific lines.
Example, Animated. I consider my animated collection to be almost complete. If the character was in the cartoon, I have it, excluding overpriced imports such as activators like Ramjet etc. No repaints, except for Electrostatic Soundwave as he is nice little homage to Soundblaster. The only two I'm missing that I feel will complete the line are Wingblade Prime and Blackout.

Classics, if it existed in G1 and cartoon format (NA or Japanese) and is relatively in scale with its predecessor then I get it. Such out of scale exclusions include Universe Powerglide or anything thats 2 classes bigger then it really should be. I do have Universe Darkwind, even though he is Ultra I felt he still fit reasonably. I also have HFTD Seaspray, and he used to reside on my classics shelf but has since been demoted to my random shelf. I think I'll get the iGear "Spray" to fill in that hole.

Movieverse. First off, up until DOTM I had not had the slightest interest in movie lines. This changed when my son got DOTM Ratchet for his bday and helped him transform it. Suddenly I love DOTM....wtf! Anyways I've kept myself to only buying characters that actually appeared in the movie, as well as CV Commanders, cuz they're just cool.

WFC. Some people lump them in with Classics but mine sit on their own, as a seperate line. I hope to see more from WFC 2 next year.

And finally G1. G1 for me used to be just 84-86 and the toy had to appear in the cartoon. But this has all changed recently too. Now I've developed an appreciation for all G1, including some items from Masterforce and Victory. I'll likely stick with just NA G1 figures but if the price is right I may grab the odd import.

And I do play with mine, as much as man child should. By play I mean treat them like a rubix cube or similar. Something to fiddle with and treat like a puzzle. There are no "pew pew's" when I play with my toys. I do not own one single MISB. If I wanted to stare at boxes I'd work at uhaul.
razin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:34 PM   #7
Onslaught
Combaticon Commander

Like most seem to be saying, whatever that interests me. Sometimes I do collect a character just for the sake of having him/her/it though, it's for fun. In other words, something like collecting a team is a reason for me to buy a figure I don't particularly want. That being said, guess who bought all the movie Arcee sisters for the sake of completion and their (mystical) combined form?
Onslaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:37 PM   #8
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

A little of this and a little of that.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:22 AM   #9
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

like razin, a completist in my own way, if it's a classics or classics-enough figure, i'll get it for them, fp stuff, hercules, etc. g1, slowly getting them, one deal at a time, alts i'm done, mps i mostly get the NA versions now, and animated i'm done

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:34 AM   #10
cannabisprime
トーランスフォムー!

Mainly a Prime/Convoy collector. I've been collecting basically any Prime and Convoy that transforms from the G2 line onwards; been obsessive enough to collect box variants as well. Unfortunately have veered towards collecting the LD variants to boot.
cannabisprime is offline   Reply With Quote