Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 11-21-2011, 11:00 AM   #11
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus
Re: TFs getting too hard to transform?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylo View Post
And this is why I avoided the movie line completely, they take forever to transform and once you do, they don't look like autobots or decepticons anyway, just giant bugformers.

Maybe the RotF Leaders do, I wouldn't know as I haven't yet purchased any of the Leaders yet. But I don't think very many of them do have that level of complexity resulting in problematic transformations.

I don't own Mixmaster, but I have seen someone transforming him and I will admit he does look like one of the longer to TF crowds, but a lot of the Movie figures are much simpler to transform than their designs might lead you to believe.

Even the Twins, once you know the tricks don't take nearly as long to TF as they might on your first try.

I may be an old school fan from the late eighties, but my adaptive capabilities have always been high and when I tested myself recently for understanding things that require being put into three dimensional shapes/items I scored quite high with an equal level of accuracy.

I'd have to say that Transformers and the very limited instruction manuals Hasbro sees fit to give us is why that is. Figuring things out comes easier to me than it does others. I don't see many things as complex, the Alternators however were the bane of my existence. They weren't fun complex to me they were just annoying complex, even if you knew what you were doing it still took time due to the engineering chosen for the exacting transformation figures.

Of course there are times where I'll pull a brain fart (Cybertron Unicron I'm looking at your sorry broken ass and wondering how I could have ever forgotten your transformation.), but for the most part I have enjoyed every Transformer I've come across and do not feel that they are becoming too complex for me. This opinion of course may alter once I finally get my hands on one of those dreaded Leader toys mentioned in this thread, but I won't know until I try.

I do however agree that the level of complexity thing is very misleading and should be rethought, I mean it hasn't changed any since it's first appearance at the end of the Beast Era, talk about your outdated system to let parents know which toys would be better suited for which level of figures out there.

Might I suggest a different numbering system perhaps, or maybe Hasbro could poll some groups of kids to see how they think of the ruddy thing.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:23 PM   #12
razin
Canadian Slag
Send a message via MSN to razin

I enjoy the more complex transformations, so long as I don't feel it's about to break to accommodate the transformation. We can all attest to the awkward feeling you get when you know you're doing it right, yet feel like something's going to snap at any moment.

As for them being too difficult for children, I agree with prev statements that it all depends on each child's personal abilities. I have a 5yr old who started playing and "collecting" when he was 3. At 3 yrs of age he needed my assistance on anything above an activator. At age 5 he can transform the majority of Animated, including Leader class. He has no issues with any of the classics line, except some of the WFC stuff (heck, even OP pisses me off if I haven't transformed him in awhile). G1, of course he can transform, but has already acquired the fear that it could break very easily and tends to stay away from them (which I prefer ). Thank you Hasbro for balljoints etc. after G1!

Since he started at an early age he will proceed to evolve his dexterity skills while Hasbro evolves the complexity. Like anything in life, repetition will make anyone a "Master of Transformation", and starting them young!
razin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:27 PM   #13
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

I think kids adapt better that adults. If they have a keen interest in it, they'll find a way, and learn. Personally, I don't mind a complex transformation as long as it's not frustrating. What i mean by that is I don't mind having to be careful when moving parts around, but if it's a ball joint pop-fest, no matter how careful you are, that's kind of stupid. I mean ROTF Prime is an... ahem... prime example. Complex yes, but not frustrating, at least for me. Can be a challenge to see if you can transform him with out the "I am Optimus Prime" going off a hundred times.

Last edited by Sun Swipe Prime; 11-21-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Sun Swipe Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #14
sikkbones
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheran View Post
i love how they're getting more difficult. Hasbro addresses the complaint of difficult transformations with different lines like the Rescue Bot, PCC, activators, gravity bots, etc.

I think Hasbro took the complaints to heart, DOTM prime was easy to transform compared to ROTF leader prime. They didn't even bother to re-release leader prime in the US. I'd rather they make great looking toys and let the market decide.
you mean for a third time?

and Universe 2.0 has some mindboggling tf's that are impossible to transform correctly... (hello... galvatron.) but then the same line has some more simplistic designs such as air raid and the rest of the seeker mold.... same with generations... and the animated line has very simplistic Transformations but then agian that was aged at the younger kids.
sikkbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #15
Ground Zero
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by razin View Post
I enjoy the more complex transformations, so long as I don't feel it's about to break to accommodate the transformation. We can all attest to the awkward feeling you get when you know you're doing it right, yet feel like something's going to snap at any moment.
This is how I felt with TF:Prime Arcee. Her feet are VERY stiff. I thought for sure I must have been doing something wrong and hated forcing and potentially snapping the feet (especially since she was the last one on the peg at TRU). Eventually though, they popped into place. TF: Prime Starscream has a similar problem with how his arms telescope. It seems so fragile that if you pull to heard I'd expect the pin to snap.
Ground Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:00 PM   #16
Ground Zero
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikkbones View Post
and Universe 2.0 has some mindboggling tf's that are impossible to transform correctly... (hello... galvatron.) but then the same line has some more simplistic designs such as air raid and the rest of the seeker mold.... same with generations... and the animated line has very simplistic Transformations but then agian that was aged at the younger kids.
I think Animated felt just about right. They pulled out some very nice, show accurate figures with what I felt was just about the right level of difficulty. The transformations were fun, sometimes fiddly, with very few problems that left you scratching your head. Leader Megatron and Bulkhead were easy but still a lot of fun and felt like Leader figs.

Best of all -- I can pick up almost any one of them and transform it. I have a number of figures on my shelf that I think I'd have a bugger of a time transforming after not playing with them for a year or two. Beast Wars Transmetals 2 Tigerhawk and Megatron are two that top my list (though I could probably figure Megatron out)

What really bugs me is some of the precise pegging required. Masterpiece Hot Rod drives me NUTS. His hips just won't sit in the exact manner that the transformation requires

Movie Figures are the worst offenders, but the Prime ones are pretty complicated so far. Bee is a bugger to peg the back of his vehicle and his chest just right. Arcee has scary stiff feet. All three have a fair number of steps.

As for "kids are getting smarter" -- most of my friends and family have kids in the 5-6 age range. Still a bit young. I'll be interested to see how they make out at age 7 or 8. Still, I've had them bring over some Armada figures and ask me to transform them. Armada figs are pretty easy compared to some of the newer ones. Not inspiring.

All that said, I enjoy complicated transformations. I had fun trying to figure out Leader Sentinel Prime. I doubt I'd try it again without the manual handy, but he was interesting.

Last edited by Ground Zero; 11-21-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Ground Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:06 PM   #17
The 12th Prime
Lost count, long time ago
The 12th Prime's Ebay Auctions

It's a precarious balance to say the least. I think of my G1 toys and how simple they were back then to transform but they had little to no show accuracy (which was a slight disappointment) which as an 11/12 year old at the time I desired more than that but didn't really get it until now. Still no complete show accuracy for G1 these days (except for stuff some 3rd parties may be doing) but I am very satisfied with the transformations and colour schemes of the Classics lines to bring it to as close and modern as we can get while thinking of the original show and toys. Myself I don't mind the complexity even if at times it can be frustrating I feel good after knowing I conquered a hard transformation, it's like a tough workout for my brain.
The 12th Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:08 PM   #18
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

I feel like they arn't hard, just frusterating than anything.

Anyone with HA leadfoot can attest to this.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #19
Pascal
Banned

HA Leadfoot is easy to transform, his torso just doesn't make any sense.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:34 PM   #20
sikkbones
Banned

My son got battle ops bumblebee and the darth vader death star and he's turning 8 next month and he prefers them in robot mode because they are difficult for him to do alone.
sikkbones is offline   Reply With Quote