Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-27-2011, 01:26 PM   #31
Mighty_Galvatron
Canadian Slag
Re: Nintendo 3DS

I'm very interested in picking this up, but not yet. Mainly because none of the current games interest me. From what I know of it's upcoming titles I'm waiting to see what Kid Icarus is like and impatiently waiting to see what the all new Mario game is all about. OOT isn't very exciting as I have the original. I'm also in the boat of waiting for the inevitable revision and price drop.
Mighty_Galvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:21 AM   #32
Ground Zero
Generation 2

Picked up a 3DS yesterday (I'm an early adopter and I usually end up paying for us every time).

I picked up a black one. It's sharp looking with a bit of silver through it. The system itself is very nice.

I think I spent my first bit of time with it just taking 3D photos which works very well. Took some really nifty shots with MP Prime and MP Starscream.

The 3D works well, but there's a fairly small sweet spot. If you move the device too much, you loose the effect. I picked up Super Street Fighter 4, and while playing I found it was a bit difficult to keep at the right angle. Same with the Augmented Reality games.

Speaking of which, the AR games are pretty nifty too and I had some fun playing around with those. Taking photos of your Mii wandering around the "real world" provides some quick entertainment.

Overall, the system is nice. Worth $250? Not sure. Nintendo has a decent line up of games on the go and in the wings, so I'm sure it will be worth while.

Super Street Fighter 4 is probably one of the best versions of the game yet, which is a surprise. The only issue with the game is the controls. I prefer the D-Pad, which is in a very awkward position.

Overall though
+ Pack in games are neat
+ Camera is fun
+ System feels solid
+ Graphics are pretty sweet
+ 3D works
+ A number of launch games
- Narrow 3D viewing angle
- Low battery life
- Some online functionality (eShop, Web Browser) unavailable at launch

Last edited by Ground Zero; 03-28-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Ground Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #33
King Benny
Generation 1

Ground Zero, I agree with everything you said.

I picked up the Aqua Blue version. It's a bold colour choice but a fun one and for that reason, seems more Nintendo to me. It's definitely not for everyone though. Can't go wrong with either colour - it's just personal preference.

3D works well, but I also notice it's easy to lose the the viewing angle playing intense game like Street Fighter which require a lot of fast button pressing. For a game like Ghost Recon where the graphics are very subpar in 2D mode; the 3D really enhances the environment with the extra depth and makes the terrain much more life like. I was quite impressed. Oh, it took me a few hours to get used to the 3D. I felt a little weird after playing in the beginning, but now I'm good. It was the same way when I bought the new plasma TV. Experiences will differ between each person.

The built in software for the 3DS is pretty good with the AR games, Face Raiders, and the Mii features. To be honest, I haven't really explored all of the built in features yet. It'll be interesting to see how Streetpass works too.

For me the biggest negatives are the stylus placement and the battery life. It's not the end of the world, but it's tricky trying to get at the stylus when the lid is open - it should have been placed on the side. The battery life is terrible but I read that 3rd parties are going to put out batteries that offer much longer battery life.

All in all, I am very happy with the 3DS! The hefty $250 price tag may not be quite worth it now but only because the great games have not arrived yet. But they will, this a Nintendo portable gaming system and they are always supported well (aside from the poorly executed Virtual Boy and the 3DS is certainly not that).
King Benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:28 PM   #34
Mumps
Canadian Slag

I think I am going to wait on the 3DS for now. There are no launch titles that I am really interested in. I do want OOT, and Star Fox though. The new Professor Layton will be good too.

I will buy it around June, when OOT is out, and hopefully a version of the console that is exclusive, or a different colour. Not that the Blue and Black ones are bad, however if there IS an exclusive/different version that comes out that I like better, I don't want to feel bad for missing it
Besides, there aren't any games I want until then anyway.
Mumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:02 PM   #35
zerocustom
Machine War

Don't forget if you have a 3DS to post your friend code here : http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=5433

zerocustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:07 PM   #36
FreedomGundam
Freedom, ikimasu!

Picked mine up yesterday morning as well.
I think Ground Zero summed it all up pretty nicely above.

None of the launch games are completely groundbreaking (like most launch titles for any system either way). But they're fun. And the 3D is definite a nice feature, as are the AR games and the 3D photography.

One of my concerns is that the two screens are not the same size. Now when playing normally, it's not such a big deal. But I'm fearing that it will cause a decline in development of games played in a sideways manner (Hotel Dusk, Brain Age, etc...) since the 3D effect will not be available through that holding style. I've heard that the next Love Plus game on the 3DS will indeed be played with the system sideways, so I'm hoping that this doesn't deter other developpers in doing the same.

All I own is SSF4 for the time being; there's nothing else from the launch lineup that I'll be grabbing. There's DoA-Dimensions with a definitive release date which I'm contemplating, and a bunch of things without specific dates as well (Zelda, Mario Kart, Layton, etc...).

TFs and other toys for sale! (last updated: Post-TFCon2018):
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=72568

Custom Double-Detolfs:
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=47820

Looking for:
- Cybertron Hot Shot
- Cybertron Defense Hot Shot
- G1 Repugnus
- G1 Scowl (with Monstructor foot)
- G1 Icepick small gun
- G1 Fire Guts God Ginrai
FreedomGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #37
zerocustom
Machine War

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomGundam View Post
and a bunch of things without specific dates as well (Zelda, Mario Kart, Layton, etc...).
Zelda is slated for release in June.

zerocustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:41 PM   #38
Protoman
The Legend

Gameboy Advance came out (Launched in 2 ugly colors), waited, they made the Gameboy Advance SP (Blacklite and in RED), got that and CHEAPER

Nintendo DS came out, waited, they made the Mario Kart Value Pack in Hot Rod RED with free keychain, stickers, ect. Cheaper

So I am going to stick to my bearings and wait it out yet again.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:14 PM   #39
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3

I`m with the waiters. Once Mario shows his face on this, then I will jump on it.

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:26 PM   #40
CyberMnky
Animated

I'm waiting myself as well, but I plan to get one eventually...

If you are reading this then you must be bored...

CyberMnky is offline   Reply With Quote