Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 06-29-2014, 10:36 PM   #1
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind
Does anyone else think that Drift...

Was originally supposed to be a different character. My thought was that he was supposed to be Springer. Or perhaps there was another autobot planned (springer) and was scrapped half way through so they just combinded the helicopter and Drift together.

It just seams like such a wasted opportunity..
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:02 PM   #2
Undrave
Canadian Slag
Re: Does anyone else think that Drift...

Doubt it, Bayformer names are pretty much drawn out of a hat. Though the extra helicopter bot is a possibility.
Undrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:02 PM   #3
Traumahound
Generation 2

It does seem kind of weird. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Drift the first triple changer in the movie-verse? Seems like they'd want to point that out or make a bigger deal of it. And then there's also the fact that he gets two separate toys (a Deluxe car and Voyager helicopter) instead of single triple changer.

Maybe they didn't want to re-use the Springer mold yet again?
Traumahound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:03 PM   #4
UltraPrimal
Canadian Slag

I think Crosshairs was supposed to be Springer, but for whatever reason he was changed and his helicopter mode was given to Drift. He looks like a movie Springer to me. So much so that can't even remember his name 99% of the time. I just keep refer to him in my head as AOE Springer.

I have a feeling it may be because of his name that they chose to change up the characters. Anybody who isn't a Transformers fan, when they hear the name "Springer", they're going to think of Jerry Springer. And I don't think Hasbro would want to have their character mistaken for a "talk show" host who has half-naked transvestite fighting each other everyday on his TV show. And once you change the name from Springer, it's like, why bother keeping the helicopter mode, unless they did so at a point where it was already written into the script.

Or who knows, maybe Michael Bay was just like, "I want the blue one to be the helicopter". And that was it. We already know that the reason why Dinobot Strafe isn't called Swoop is because the design was changed so much during production that Hasbro didn't feel comfortable calling him Swoop because it was no longer true to that character. A similar thing probably happened with Crosshairs/Springer.

I have a feeling the same thing happened with Hound too. Hound looks more like Bulkhead to me. Even people I saw the movie with who aren't Transformers fans said, "was that one Bulkhead?" I'm guessing they probably changed his name because his character is nothing like Bulkheads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumahound View Post
It does seem kind of weird. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Drift the first triple changer in the movie-verse?
Actually, I think Megatron was the first triple-changer in the movie-verse, sort of. In ROTF, he was shown to change from tank mode to "jet mode" which was basically just him extending little wings and using the booster jets on the back of his tank mode. Though it's really open to interpretation. If you just look at on-screen characters with distinctly different modes, then yes, Drift is the first. If you include all other media, I think Shockwave would be it because in the first movie game he transformed into both an Apache helicopter and an artillery cannon.

Last edited by UltraPrimal; 06-29-2014 at 11:14 PM.
UltraPrimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:12 PM   #5
Undrave
Canadian Slag

Hasbro really needs to stop letting Hollywood monster designers with no practical toy experience (and terrible sensibilities when it comes to robot designs if you ask me) have so much control over the look of their characters.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:12 PM   #6
Knockout
I can't anymore. Done.

Well he was a Bugatti, why the character wasn't Blurr is just strange to me.

As soon as we hit 100 likes we will be having a sale!

Knockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:15 PM   #7
Undrave
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockout View Post
Well he was a Bugatti, why the character wasn't Blurr is just strange to me.
Yeah, if Drift is gonna be such a weabboo as to pick a Japanese samurai kabuto as a head, he should have picked a Japanese car mode!
Old 06-29-2014, 11:38 PM   #8
Knockout
I can't anymore. Done.

I love Drift in all universes but Bayverse. I tried to love him. TRIED. But it was hard. I think if he was a Japanese car it'd be worse. He should of been, but because they basically made a Japanese mech out of him in the movie, I think giving him a Japanese car would just overdo it.

But still he shouldn't be a Bugatti. That should of been Blurr. Period.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:51 AM   #9
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Who knows. It wouldn't be the first time. Wasn't Ironhide originally supposed to be Arcee?

I think other than Optimus and Bee most other characters in the movies in generally could be swapped out with any other character.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:27 AM   #10
Knockout
I can't anymore. Done.

Well Crosshairs is like Sideswipe and Mirage's love child. Got Sideswipes attitude and Mirage's snobby, down with human attitude. Which is understandable. It was like, instead of adding 2 more characters they blended them into one. Not that I mind. He was way better casted then Drift....