Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 04-04-2016, 10:48 AM   #1
Joalro
Robot in Disguise
Never ordered from Japan before. Advice?

So I am looking to get Masterpiece Optimus Primal from Japan because forget waiting until Hasbro may or may not announce a North American release. However, I have never done this before.

Preorders are now up on Anime Export, as I saw on TFW2005, but I'm a bit hesitant to go through with it. I have a few questions, if you guys are willing to help.

With ordering stuff to Canada, are there some better websites for us? Or do we pretty much go to the same sites as the states?

How much should I expect to pay in shipping?

Is there anything I should know about when ordering from Japan?

Any general tips for me?

Any advice you guys have would be super appreciated. Thanks!
Joalro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:09 AM   #2
Sureshot22
look behind you. tee hee
Sureshot22's Ebay Auctions
Re: Never ordered from Japan before. Advice?

Anime export is a great site but if you don't order fast you won't get it there. They always sell out fast. Their shipping is good. Can't give a price range because it depends on size and weight etc. With them you have to pay right away other than shipping cost which you pay once it's ready to ship. Other sites like hlj.com etc you don't pay until the item is in Stock.

PSN ID: SURESHOT22

FEEDBACK THREAD http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=9366
Sureshot22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:29 AM   #3
The7thParallel
Nexus Maximus

I order through AE all the time.

Their prices are the best, however you do have to pay for the item immediately. This kind of helps, really, as you aren't budgeting for the far future but for today. Makes it feel free when it does come out!

As far as shipping... with AE, you have two choices once you are ready to go. You can ship EMS which is fast, usually three-five days at the most, or SAL, which can be up to about 3 weeks though some luck out and get it pretty much at EMS speeds.

The cost ranges. For example, Shockwave was 2800 yen to ship EMS, which is about $32 CND. SAL, however, was about 1500-1600 yen if I remember correctly, which is $18 CND.

Primal is listed at 8400 yen, or $75 US. Shipping is usually based on price, rather than size, in my experience, so I would guess about $20 for EMS and $12-$15 for SAL.

Total cost would be about $90 - $100 US... $117 - $130 CND.

Back when the dollar was on our size, it was a steal. Now you're stilling saving quite a bit compared to etailers. For Primal, you'll be saving at least $50 - $60 once you factor in shipping and taxes.

Ordering from Japan, you run the risk of duties though it has NEVER happened to me. They de-value the packages all the time. From the States, especially BBTS, you get hit a lot more or all the time (BBTS). AE never sends out or replies to emails, so if you have buyers remorse you're screwed. Also, should anything go wrong, you're kind of stuck with what you have. That said, I've never had a problem, but I'm aware of the risks. YMMV.

If Hasbro DOES do it, expect it anywhere from a year to five years from now. The cost would be at least $199.99 CND as well based on pricing trends.

Last edited by The7thParallel; 04-04-2016 at 11:33 AM.
The7thParallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:35 PM   #4
Joalro
Robot in Disguise

Thank you guys for your advice! I placed the order with AE already, and I'm debating whether I'm going to finalize the order with payment. With what you guys are saying though, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go ahead with it. Thanks!
Joalro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:39 PM   #5
Einstein
Banned
Einstein's Ebay Auctions

Use Nippon Yassen, better because you don't have to pay up front
Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:55 PM   #6
nuropa
Robot in Disguise

I order mostly with AE as well. They jump the gun before other Japanese retailers to put up preorders.

Couple things to watch out for. They declare package for lot less than what it cost. Good to get through custom without getting dinged for taxes, bad if your package go missing. You pay upfront month ahead, often time exceed 6 month if you wait and ship several items together to cut down shipping cost. PayPal protection window is 6 month.

Nippon Yassan and HLJ are good alternatives that don't require up front payment.
nuropa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:11 PM   #7
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einstein View Post
Use Nippon Yassen, better because you don't have to pay up front
Except NY will overcharge you with their ridiculously shipping rate.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:23 PM   #8
Masta_Skidz
Theoretician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Cylon View Post
horrible customer service can be added and don't forget that if they under value your package and it gets lost good luck getting what you paid for it back
Masta_Skidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:43 PM   #9
nuropa
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Cylon View Post
I found NY and AE have similar shipping costs, both higher than HLJ. NY did screw up on calculating Tracks shipping cost and refused to refund the difference, but their devastator shipping cost was cheaper than AE or HLJ. They list prices up front, if it seems high, don't order from them.
nuropa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:01 PM   #10
elburrito
Animated

Yeah, I generally canvass all of the Japanese e-tailers before committing to one or the other. Generally, they are all within a few dollars of each other, but it varies toy to toy. If it assists, here is my list:

Hobby Link Japan
Anime-Export
Ami Ami
Nippon-Yasan
Hobby Search Japan

When a new MP (that I am interested in) is released, I generally check all of those sites to try to figure out which is cheapest.

As of late, Nippon-Yaman seems to be offering a low purchase price and then charging significantly higher shipping fees.

Some have pointed out that some places require payment up front, some let you wait to pay. Personally, I find that payment up front is preferable. That way I am not buying things on spec. in the hope that when the invoice comes, it is convenient to pay.

I should say, I have never had any significant issue with any of these companies in terms of the toy arriving and arriving in decent shape.

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote