Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 04-17-2018, 01:34 PM   #11
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions
Re: Thoughts on Studio Series so far?

No.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:13 PM   #12
xueyue2
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
In terms of engineering, it's shrug. They based the Star Scream off a the old DOTM deluxe, no skin off my nose. BUT, it's the priemium price that gets me.

To me, these aren't premium figures. A little extra paint, a fancy name for the line, "scaling", doesn't overcome all the short comings.

To me, these aren't necessarily the best representations of the movie characters and leave a lot to be desired, especially with the price tag. If the price tag wasn't so high, I think I'd be looking at these in a better light.

Even the leader Blackout and Grimlock--figures I was looking forward too--fall short in areas they shouldn't fall short in, like Grimlock's fist or lack there of and Blackout's height. From the pictures I've seen, he's roughly the same height as Starscream, a Voyager.

Overall, this adds up to me not really being interested in any of this. The dollars and cents just don't add up in my head, so I'm probably going to pass on most if not all of it, so more for everyone else.
Very well said. Pretty much the same feeling I have.
I will buy the Studio Series if they are on sale later, and I will buy the KO or OS version for some of them, if the KO version indeed improve the design and quality, like Weijiang MPP or KBB did before.

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

xueyue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:11 PM   #13
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
Even the leader Blackout and Grimlock--figures I was looking forward too--fall short in areas they shouldn't fall short in, like Grimlock's fist or lack there of and Blackout's height. From the pictures I've seen, he's roughly the same height as Starscream, a Voyager.

Overall, this adds up to me not really being interested in any of this. The dollars and cents just don't add up in my head, so I'm probably going to pass on most if not all of it, so more for everyone else.
The problem with Grimlock, once you have it in hand, is not the fist but instead the limited articulation. Like the dino mouth only having 2 settings and his robot elbows being really odd again.

As for Blackout, I agree that none of these leaders make a good case for being at ahgher price point than the POTP Leaders, but Blackout definitely deserves to be called a leader. He is MASSIVE. Starscream is just tall but there isnt much mass there. Its like Animated lockdown being a deluxe. We dont suddenly scoff at every single voyager toy because they are as short as Deluxe Lockdown in robot mode, so I dont know why we would do that here.

Blackout doesnt feel small at all.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:30 PM   #14
nuropa
Robot in Disguise

Got my blackout from amazon.com yesterday, it looks good in bot mode and alt mode. transforming is a bit tedious, a lot of panels and tabs, hard to line them up correctly without something pop out.
nuropa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:11 AM   #15
oroboru
Machine War

Good Lord! I finally saw the Leaders today and while the sculpting is pretty good, the lack of paint is appalling, particularly in Blackout. I thought this was supposed to be a premium line.
oroboru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:05 PM   #16
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by oroboru View Post
Good Lord! I finally saw the Leaders today and while the sculpting is pretty good, the lack of paint is appalling, particularly in Blackout. I thought this was supposed to be a premium line.
Its as much a premium line at The Last Knight so make of that as you will.

The deco on Grimlock is stellar. LOTS of cool geen/silver paint done in a cool wash. Makes him look quite movie accurate.

Blackout has quite a it of paint but it happens to be very close to the colour of the plastic. Hence why it could look unpainted.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:11 PM   #17
Medic
Generation 2

If you tell me that you find these figures great, or any of the movie toys for that matter. I would find it hard to trust your opinion as a transformer collector.
Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:28 PM   #18
oroboru
Machine War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic View Post
If you tell me that you find these figures great, or any of the movie toys for that matter. I would find it hard to trust your opinion as a transformer collector.
Well to be fair, if you're under the age of like 25 or so the movies might really be your first introduction to the franchise.

The SS series ARE better than the original releases... which really speaks to how bad the original toys were.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:41 PM   #19
Pascal
Banned

^Don't listen to that guy.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:46 PM   #20
oroboru
Machine War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
^Don't listen to that guy.
Who.. me? I don't like the movie designs on the whole, although there are a few standouts.

I just feel bad for people who live for the movie stuff.