Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 05-15-2007, 12:09 AM   #1
Dark Rage
白人看不懂
Reviews & Tips for ordering TFs from Online Retailers?

Hey all, I've recently started to purchase some transformers again, and I've found that most of the transformers (especially of older lines) are being sold mainly on online websites, with some having good prices.

I'd like to know your opinions on pricing, customer service, and what to expect on shipping options.

If anyone ships a lot of things frequently, I'm sure most people would love to avoid UPS, since they really rip you off on their brokerage fees, and Purolator (Or rather, PuroLATER), since they have awful service, couriers who don't even ring the doorbell, and lousy redelivery options.

I'm also curious what experiences any of you've had with their shipping options, and the duty fees you've had to pay when receiving a package from Canada Customs.

So far, I'm really interested in these particular retailers:

Hobby Link Japan
Action-HQ
Big Bad Toy Store
Robot Kingdom
Digital Toys

If there are any other online retailers that you know of or recommend, please feel free to voice your knowledge, thanks!
Dark Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:13 AM   #2
kidkid
Re: Reviews & Tips for ordering TFs from Online Retailers?

It doesn't matter what kind of shipment they use, just DON'T use DHL or UPS.. They tax u like crazy. I just got my Classic Megatron from GoldenAgeToys.com . They ship with Canada Postal office i think. They are okay, the figure i got is in MIB condition, i am happy with it. But I didn't purchase 100 bux....so i haf to pay the expensive shipping. If u can get 100 bux of purchase, it is free shipping, not bad.

Last edited by kidkid; 05-15-2007 at 12:17 AM.
kidkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:05 AM   #3
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3

For Canadian e-tailers, I would recommend:

1. Kooltoyz.ca - Without a doubt my number one pick. I've order lots through Sheraz, and have never had a complaint. He even found me an Alt Ravage when the site said it was sold out. Shipping is fast and the price is not that bad.

2. Goldenagetoys.com - Only used this site once so far. Their prices do not seem that far off of retail, and if you can order more than $99... FREE SHIPPING. Only downside is they only have the main retail Hasbro stuff. They do not sell any of the Takara stuff. Again, I had a good experience with this site.

3. Ages 3 & Up - I've used them a few times (reissue Predaking, replacement stacks for 20th Op, and MP Megs). Overall not bad. I've always received my items (although Megs seems to have taken a while). My only complaint with the site was when it switched over to using US currency. Not a big thing, but I liked knowing what I was paying in CDN dollars without having to calculate the conversion myself.

As for the US ones, I've used them very sparingly. I try to keep it in Canada. However, when I had to go across the border/ocean I've used:

1. Big Bad Toy Store - Great store to deal with. Fairly fast shipping over the border.

2. Digital Toys - I used them once, as it was the only place I could find the God Ginrai reissue. No problems with getting my item.

3. Action-HQ - Used this store on a head's up from CDNShockwave on avoiding the whole Alternators Nemesis Prime fiasco. Decent shipping time, but damn expensive shipping costs. Seeing as it was from across the ocean, I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

That is all of my online buying experience (excluding eBay of course). Avoiding UPS and the other couriers is not a bad idea. I've never been stung myself, but I've heard horror stories of the extra fees you get nailed with. Customs is a crap shoot. Sometimes you get them, sometimes you don't. It is basically dependant on what you have ordered. It is only a $5 "handling" charge and the GST you would have had to pay anyway. Nothing that bad, but still stings when you get it.

Hope this helps.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:55 AM   #4
Tech Spec
Canadian Slag

I am split between Golden Age Toys and Kool Toyz. Both are reliable when it comes to shipping and prices are not too bad. Golden Age is definately a plus to get mainline stuff. I just bought four 6" Titaniums and my bill altogether with tax was around $106 dollars, this is not the first I have had free shipping from them

I also deal with BBTS and Action HQ, reliable and efficient. Just expensive on shipping.

As the other say avoid Online Stores who use UPS or DHL as their shipping company coz they will charge you up the ying yang for customs, handling and all that other garbage.
Tech Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:59 AM   #5
kidkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jourdo View Post
For Canadian e-tailers, I would recommend:
3. Ages 3 & Up - I've used them a few times (reissue Predaking, replacement stacks for 20th Op, and MP Megs). Overall not bad. I've always received my items (although Megs seems to have taken a while). My only complaint with the site was when it switched over to using US currency. Not a big thing, but I liked knowing what I was paying in CDN dollars without having to calculate the conversion myself.
Not trying to be an @ss...but i dont' recommand buying there... I think i sorta get ripe off a few times...too over price....well, maybe my own fault, cuz i didn't do enough research.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:03 AM   #6
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkid View Post
Not trying to be an @ss...but i dont' recommand buying there... I think i sorta get ripe off a few times...too over price....well, maybe my own fault, cuz i didn't do enough research.
When I have ordered from them, it was usually because their prices were the best for the given item. I've heard stories about problems with them, but personally I've never had them.

Just curious what happened with you and A3U?
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:04 AM   #7
kidkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jourdo View Post
When I have ordered from them, it was usually because their prices were the best for the given item. I've heard stories about problems with them, but personally I've never had them.

Just curious what happened with you and A3U?
Oh, it just that i bought some stuff.....without checking other website and other retail stores...and they are way over price like 2 times as much....compare to another website and other stores, that's all. I learned my lesson now i guess....

Oh wait, and ya, Tech Spec is right, GoldenAgeToys is a good online store that u should choose, especailly the way they pack your stuff and the mint condition box, best online tf shopping experience i ever haf.

Last edited by kidkid; 05-15-2007 at 02:08 AM.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:08 AM   #8
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkid View Post
Yeah, I noticed that some of their Classics Deluxes/Voyagers are at a higher price than your typical retailer store in Canada. Maybe it's based on popularity? I dunno why Voy. Jetfire is almost always more expensive than Voy. Optimus; shouldn't they be the same price?

Heck, BBTS has deluxe Classics available at even cheaper prices than TRU or Wal-Marts in Canada, they must be trying to clear out inventory.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:09 AM   #9
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

Ok, just another question, BBTS's shipping is USPS ground shippping or USPS express, so what courier would I expect at my door if I ordered from either of them? A Canada Post or UPS delivery man?
Old 05-15-2007, 02:11 AM   #10
kidkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_rage View Post
Yeah, I noticed that some of their Classics Deluxes/Voyagers are at a higher price than your typical retailer store in Canada. Maybe it's based on popularity? I dunno why Voy. Jetfire is almost always more expensive than Voy. Optimus; shouldn't they be the same price?

Heck, BBTS has deluxe Classics available at even cheaper prices than TRU or Wal-Marts in Canada, they must be trying to clear out inventory.
They were selling their Mp05 Megatron for $240, lol I am not sure if that is over price right now, it was just a month ago.... I won't get it for that price anyways..