Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 06-04-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
inhale
Generation 2
In Theatre Transformers Promotion Ideas (need help)

Hey guys,

I work at a local theatre around the GTA as a theatre manager and I'm thinking about doing a promotion for ROTF to do at my theatre, any ideas?
inhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
UltraPrimal
Canadian Slag
Re: In Theatre Transformers Promotion Ideas (need help)

How about letting Cybertron.ca members in for free?
Old 06-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
Uberman
Energon

What sort of promotion? Midnight screening, giveaways, that sorta stuff? How much leeway do you have to do wacky things?
Uberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:36 PM   #4
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Cosplay competition anyone?

Of course you'd have to settle for mostly G1-inspired outfits, however Movie-themed is not entirely out of the question:

Or howzabout a "Rock Band" rock-off featuring Stan Bush's "The Touch" (but not the craptastic new version)

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:41 PM   #5
ANDROID PRIME
Robot in Disguise

have a secret screening as soon as your copy of the film gets in, invite only. then invite me.
ANDROID PRIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:42 PM   #6
Nightscrabbler
mississaugascrabble.com

Can I ask which theatre?

Cross-promotion is always a good idea. For example, team up with a toy store, such that buying a ticket gets you a discount off of a toy or vice versa.
Nightscrabbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:47 PM   #7
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

This reminds me:

I used to work at Colossus Langley in BC when they were still Famous Players and for all the "Event" movies we'd get all cosplayers/die-hards come out and dress up like characters (i.e., Hobbits, Jedi, super heroes, etc.)

But the craziest thing I saw was a guy who dressed up in full Jesus Christ regalia for "The Passion Of The Christ" premiere, including a cross he dragged around on wheels and a crown of thorns made of pipe-cleaner twisties.

No joke.

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:47 PM   #8
Uberman
Energon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Can I ask which theatre?

Cross-promotion is always a good idea. For example, team up with a toy store, such that buying a ticket gets you a discount off of a toy or vice versa.
That's why I asked my question. That seems like it's something that'd be handled a little higher-up, don't you think?

Although granted, I have no real idea.
Uberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:08 PM   #9
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

Do you have a budget to work with?

I can think of a perfect one for the G.I.Joe movie, since those figures are smaller and you can have them dangling from ropes and doing battle overhead at the concession stand.

Since Transformers are larger and more weighty, I'd suggest against that.

Hmm.....

If you can have access to a reasonable amount of cardboard boxes, stack some up like obelisks and paint them to look old and Egyptian, then paint cyberglyphics on them.

You could also get a few cube shaped cardboard boxes and paint them up like the Allspark cube.

Get a few of the Prime and Bumblebee voice changer masks and you could either have employees wear them, or have them strategically placed.

I'd stray away from G1 stuff and try to keep it in with the Bayverse. I know all us G1 fans would love to see that sort of stuff, but the regular moviegoer won't connect it with the first or second movie. Even mixing in stuff from Animated may be a miss for most of the people. Keep it in line with the first and second movie.

edit:

This suggestion may be a bit much, but try to get access to a motorcycle similar to Arcee in the movie. Have it cordoned off and hide a speaker somewhere out of sight on the motorcycle. Then have one of your female co-workers out of view from the moviegoers. Make sure she can still see people as they go by, and have her talk into a microphone connected to the speaker. She could say lines from the movie or talk to people as they go by.

edit 2:

Have a barricade with some blinking lights that says "Under Constructicon" blocking off a corner people don't use as a walkway. Behind it set up some debris that looks like road work is going-on, possibly with some light smoke from a fog machine. Get or paint a Decepticon symbol on the barricade before and after "Under Constructicon". Most people won't notice that it says Constructicon instead of Construction, but those that do will probably get it right away. Yes, its a bad pun, but sometimes bad puns get the job done.

edit 3:

This one gets messy, but goes with the last one. Make some piles of sand behind the Constructicon barricade, and probably around at the base of the obelisks.

You could get a few figures, and place them around the concession stand and ticket office in awesome poses. Just don't get any spoiler figures. We know Megatron's going to be in this movie, but the general public probably doesn't. They may concider it a spoiler. I dont think they've shown Megatron in the previews.

edit 4:

To make the cardboard look like crumbly stone, get some cheap fine kitty litter, some sand, and some spray paint. Use spray paint generously and then cover with a mixture of kitty litter and sand. The paint will make most of the litter and sand stick. Let it sit for a few minutes, then shake the cardboard off. Coat it lightly again with spray paint to make the kitty litter blend more with the sand and also make it stick better. Allow to dry for a while. Give it a once over with a fine misting of a slightly darker spray paint.

I haven't done this since a grade 5 project on Egyptian pyramids, so you may want to test it on a smaller cardboard before going full scale.

edit 5:

I can't suggest specific paint, only that 3 different sand-like shades will work best and light rust kind of colours might work. Once all that's dry, spray paint on the cyberglyphics, feathering the edges of the characters. You could also scrape away the sand and kitty litter where you want the cyberglyphics to go before you paint, this would make them stand out.

On the obelisks, you could actually cut out the cyberglyphics characters and have a bright red light inside of them, to make the characters glow. If you have access to a fog machine, pump fog into the obelisks to make an even greater effect. The fog and red light will ooze out of the cyberglyphics holes in the obelisks. You might want to spray paint really lightly around the cut out cyberglyphics with a rust sort of colour, or you could use some paint that closer matches the colour of the light inside.

I forget if the cyberglyphics are gold, yellow, bronze, red, green, white, or whatever in the previews. Probably best to use some of the packaging as an example, or go back over the previews.

I have no idea where this creativity is coming from, but I need to remember some of this for Holloween.

Last edited by Shepp; 06-04-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:23 PM   #10
devilsknight
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraPrimal View Post
How about letting Cybertron.ca members in for free?
+1

or maybe just a private pre-screening !!!
devilsknight is offline   Reply With Quote