Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 02-13-2016, 03:57 PM   #1
Oberon Prime
Beasty
Maketoys Hellfire scale questions/concerns.

I was looking at pictures of the new Maketoys Hellfire in both Alt and Robot modes and specifically how he scales to MP-10 and he seemed to me to be too small.

But then I looked up a scale chart and at least in Robot mode he seem to be the right height relative to MP-10 at least going by the animation.

My concern now is alt mode. Specifically it seems that the Hellfire truck mode seems to be too small relative to the MP-10 truck mode. Now as far as I can tell his alt mode was based on a Mitsubishi Fuso Firetruck I've looked this up and it seems this vehicle is a dead ringer. But I am completely unsure how a Firetruck built from a Mitsubishi Fuso would look next to a CoE style truck such as the one that the original Optimus used for his alt mode.

In my mind the front cab section of a Firetruck would be as large as the cab on Optimus Primes truck mode. Which is why I think his alt modes seems too small and that he should have been as tall if not taller than Optimus in Robot mode.

Still Hellfire looks pretty good and I may consider plugging a hole in my MP Roster with him if in fact he is actually the size he is supposed to be.
My Want Thread
My Sales Thread

Oberon Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:36 PM   #2
optimusb39
Animated
Re: Maketoys Hellfire scale questions/concerns.

This is the inherent problem with robot verse alt modes. The rovot modes are so close together comparitavily in size yet the alt modes differ wildy. Look at warpath. On screen warpath is smaller than optimus in robot mode yet the bigger in alt modes. Badcube found a middle ground but the original toy put him as a tiny bot.
We will never find a common middle ground that works in both.
How does megatron turn into a gun that can be used by humans, robots and still be the biggest decepticon bad guy we want? How can a guy like astrotrain be the same size as a seeker in robot mode but than transform into a mega train and an even larger shuttle that can hold devastator with room to spare?
All we can do i find one that feels right for ourselves and make do.
Personally if you want hellfire to scale correctly with an optimus the best way would be to put him in the chug scale next to toyworld orion as your optimus. That makes him bigger than optimus and leaves the alt modes to scale. The problem there though isvthe scale of him to the rest of the group. He would be half as tall as hercules devastator and thats too big. Theres no winning.
optimusb39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 05:06 PM   #3
elburrito
Animated

It requires 2 versions of each character you want to display, 1 for alt. Mode, 1 for robot mode to approximate scale in both modes. e.g., an MP Seeker is fairly close to scale with a g1 car in alt. Mode and an MP carbot in robot mode.

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:07 AM   #4
Oberon Prime
Beasty

I do of course understand that scale can never be absolute whether it be between characters or even between a single characters robot and alt modes.

My original post was poorly worded. Mostly I am curious if anybody knows how both Optimus Primes and Infernos real world vehicle mode equivalents would scale to each other. Should the cabs be about the same size or not?
My Want Thread
My Sales Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 09:32 AM   #5
Rev
Addict

This the same question I had. Inferno should tower over Prime, unless it is some tiny fire truck designed for Japan's narrow streets. I would rather scale to alt mode than robot mode.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:18 AM   #6
mcfmullen
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
This the same question I had. Inferno should tower over Prime, unless it is some tiny fire truck designed for Japan's narrow streets. I would rather scale to alt mode than robot mode.
I would absolutely disagree with you.
mcfmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:32 AM   #7
Dangard Ace
Masterpiece

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfmullen View Post
I would absolutely disagree with you.
Same. If I wanted perfectly in scale vehicle modes I'd just buy diecast non transforming vehicles.
Dangard Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:38 AM   #8
Masta_Skidz
Theoretician

dsc_8039 by David Cook, on Flickr

3123 by David Cook, on Flickr

LFD Truck 7 E-One Hurricane rearmount aerial ladder fire truck London, Ontario Canada ©Ian A. McCord by Ian A. McCord, on Flickr

Okay first is OP style of truck , Second is Inferno style of Firetruck and Third is the style of Firetruck we are used to seeing here in Ontario and most of N/A there are a lot bigger ones I have seen those as well this is just to give you an idea of how small Inferno's real world alt mode is. So by going by how small the Firetruck actually is then we can safely assume that it would be to scale as you can see the van beside the Second picture is not that much bigger than the truck just off to the side of the coe pic, I know I explained that funny but sounds right in my head lol

Last edited by Masta_Skidz; 02-14-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Masta_Skidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:50 AM   #9
Rev
Addict

Ok, that really helps put things into perspective. Prime's rig really isn't that big either.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:59 PM   #10
Oberon Prime
Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masta_Skidz View Post
Okay first is OP style of truck , Second is Inferno style of Firetruck and Third is the style of Firetruck we are used to seeing here in Ontario and most of N/A there are a lot bigger ones I have seen those as well this is just to give you an idea of how small Inferno's real world alt mode is. So by going by how small the Firetruck actually is then we can safely assume that it would be to scale as you can see the van beside the Second picture is not that much bigger than the truck just off to the side of the coe pic, I know I explained that funny but sounds right in my head lol
That really helps. I've been well aware that the Primes truck mode is relatively small compared to modern transport trucks. But only having seen the larger NA style firetrucks as shown in your third picture I just knew that Inferno seemed he should be taller than Prime, animation not withstanding. But given the evidence in your second picture it makes sense that he would be a bit shorter. I can get behind the scale of Hellfire in both modes at this point.
My Want Thread
My Sales Thread