Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
Goji_tron
Beasty
continuation of TFA english version and TFA japanese version voting comparison

Hello! This is just a continuation of the comparsion between TFA english version and TFA japanese adaptation.

I just want to comment that TFA Japanese version adds some unnecessary dialogue to the characters when they're mouths aren't moving, like the times when they announce their attacks. I wonder why do some Japanese seriess of Transformers, including Japanese TFA adaptation, have their characters announce their attacks anyway, to sell toys?

If they want to sell toys and draw in more people to like Transformers Animated, I think they should cut out the Otobotoo bit and add in all of the scenes instead of cutting them.
Goji_tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
FreedomGundam
Freedom, ikimasu!
Re: continuation of TFA english version and TFA japanese version voting comparison

You gotta realize: the dubbed version of TFA caters to THEIR audience. They want it to do well over there, so they localize it to their target audience.

What it seems like you're doing is that you're watching a Japanese show with a North-American persepective; obviously things will feel out of place and unnecessary. I'm a very big japanese-show watcher (anime, J-doramas, tokusatsu, etc...), and I'll tell you that the Japanese version of TFA is "standard" anime stuff. I don't think it's "better" than the US version (I believe that the original (non-dub) version of anything is always the better one), but from the perspective of a Japanese-show watcher, Japanese TFA is just fine as it is.

Ever tried watching a Bollywood movie? Chase-fight-dance-sing-fight-dance-love-chase-fight-dance-sing-dance-sing-dance. It feels TOTALLY weird to us who grew up with "standard" Hollywood stuff, but to their target audience (ie, the population of India), it's quite normal.

TFs and other toys for sale! (last updated: Post-TFCon2018):
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=72568

Custom Double-Detolfs:
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=47820

Looking for:
- Cybertron Hot Shot
- Cybertron Defense Hot Shot
- G1 Repugnus
- G1 Scowl (with Monstructor foot)
- G1 Icepick small gun
- G1 Fire Guts God Ginrai
FreedomGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
ConvoyGTR
Generation 2
Re: continuation of TFA english version and TFA japanese version voting comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goji_tron View Post
Hello! This is just a continuation of the comparsion between TFA english version and TFA japanese adaptation.

I just want to comment that TFA Japanese version adds some unnecessary dialogue to the characters when they're mouths aren't moving, like the times when they announce their attacks. I wonder why do some Japanese seriess of Transformers, including Japanese TFA adaptation, have their characters announce their attacks anyway, to sell toys?

If they want to sell toys and draw in more people to like Transformers Animated, I think they should cut out the Otobotoo bit and add in all of the scenes instead of cutting them.
Welcome to the world of dubbed anime and cartoons. Expect changes and always stick to the original version.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:48 PM   #4
DeltaCommando17
I AM NEMESIS PRIME!!!!!

RID, they were big about calling there attack moves in both English and Jappanese versions of it.
DeltaCommando17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #5
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
If they want to sell toys and draw in more people to like Transformers Animated, I think they should cut out the Otobotoo
I think what you're failing to understand is the Otobotoo family exists TO sell toys...they're just a giant marketing ploy that has worked in the past in Japan, hence they're doing it again.

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:48 PM   #6
Ninjatron
Overlord of all Ninjas

NINJA ANIME KNOWLEDGE ATTACK!!! KIYAAHH!

The calling out of attack names, in my opinion, comes from these things:

1: The sport of kendo (the way of the sword), where competitors wear armored helmets and fight with bamboo rods. Basically, Japanese fencing. There is a lot of yelling in this sport, and one can only score points when striking while yelling. It reminds me a lot of anime. This is simply my own observation. I have not read any material suggesting a relationship between anime attacks and kendo, but the similarities cause me to believe that there might be something to it. In the anime "Bamboo Blade", the characters actually yell the official name of the kind of strike or thrust they are making when they compete.

2: Mazinger Z, the first piloted giant robot from anime, and one of the important steps in the evolutionary chain that leads to Transformers. Mazinger was piloted by Koji Kabuto, who would control the robot's various special attacks by yelling them. While in this specific case, Mazinger was controlled vocally, this became the trope by which most all further giant robot shows, and pretty much any other show with any other kind of fighting, would eventually use. From Getter Robo to Fist of The North Star, anime shows have yelling. That's just the way it is. Even the "real robot" show Mobile Suit Gundam has some yelling at times.

3: Manga, the Japanese comics that most anime is derived from, contains big splashy attacks or moves with announced titles, simply as a way of conveying what the character is doing in the form of a static illustrated image. These big, dramatic moments are more effective and exciting to read in a comic book format than reading a series of standard punches and kicks would be, and often show the struggle of a characters will-power as much as they show the particular skill.

4: Anime itself, while having the advantage of showing moving images, has certain limitations it must follow, mostly due to budget. Only a certain number of new animation cels are created for each episode, and so fully animated fight scenes are usually a rarity. The compromise is to show a single dramatic specialty attack instead, as in the manga, and often this will become reused stock footage seen in multiple episodes. These special attacks are interpreted from the manga by having the character yell out the name, giving the character their own special move and adding to their appeal.

There is probably even more to it than this. It's a rather fascinating subject to get into, especially because studying it means watching lots and lots of cartoons.

Sayonara.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:27 AM   #7
Goji_tron
Beasty

I would like to say that for Transformers japanese dubbed movies, I think Norio Wakamoto should have been the dub voice actor for Megatron instead because of the tone of his voice and emotion.

I also hope that if Takara Tomy continues season 4 of Transformers Animated, let's hope that its writing is not disasterous or bad as the Unicron Trilogy trilogy. Let's also hope that characters of the TFA in japanese adaptation stay true to the original TFA character's selves during character development for the season 4. I really wonder how in the world will Takara Tomy connect Transformers Animated to Transformers movies as a prequel seeing as they have two different time settings.

Last edited by Goji_tron; 10-22-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:49 PM   #8
Protoman
The Legend
Cool Re: continuation of TFA english version and TFA japanese version voting comparison

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan View Post
I think what you're failing to understand is the Otobotoo family exists TO sell toys...they're just a giant marketing ploy that has worked in the past in Japan, hence they're doing it again.
Exactly. Heck as of the Season 3 episodes, the Otoboto Family has shifted focus to now marketing and whoring the current merch related to the show. Examples (seen in the attached screen shots), like the dvds, the lucky draw contests, the arcade/card battle game, the fashion line and heck EVEN the Disney Label toys which ain't Animated related. Takara-Tomy knows what they are doing, trust me.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	j-am.JPG
Views:	447
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	7930  
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:31 PM   #9
Goji_tron
Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
Exactly. Heck as of the Season 3 episodes, the Otoboto Family has shifted focus to now marketing and whoring the current merch related to the show. Examples (seen in the attached screen shots), like the dvds, the lucky draw contests, the arcade/card battle game, the fashion line and heck EVEN the Disney Label toys which ain't Animated related. Takara-Tomy knows what they are doing, trust me.

Yeah, I guess so, but I just didn't like it or found it questionable to cut out average three minutes of Transformers animated just for that segment.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:40 PM   #10
Goji_tron
Beasty

On an off-topic note: I wonder if forums are a good place to suggest ideas to comic book writers or television show writers?