Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 11-23-2010, 01:21 AM   #1
GMfan
Robot in Disguise
Ultra Magnus 3-D Jigsaw Puzzle (1986) Review

That's right, it's time to open up my rarity vault for a different type of gem in the Ultra Magnus Madnus collection.

A G1 figure to a degree, this puzzle was released in 1986 and today like most puzzles from that era it's quite difficult to find one with every piece. 100 to be exact...or you coulda just read the box below for that info...usually I like to give a little history lesson in these intros, but there's really not much info on this piece...um...it was made by Milton Bradley...

HEY! We can give this Ultra Magnus credit for being a first something....technically it's the first triple changer Ultra Magnus with a 2-D, 3-D vehicle, & 3-D robot mode!! .... no? Ok let's just do this.

Well the box mine came in may not be in the greatest condition, but as we're told to believe when it comes to people, it's what's on the inside that counts...

And herrrre's what you get....doesn't look like much now but it's one of those "build it yourself" Magnus's so I suppose we better get to work.

1.5 hours later...

2-D Mode

Here's the lovely piece of art you receive. Really has that retro art look that the G1 posters had. Normally not my thing but I really like this one. Other then Ultra Magnus, you can see in this picture the Insecticons: Bombshell, Shrapnel, and Kickback, as well as Scavenger, Blitzwing, and oddly...Hubcap!? He actually had a G1 appearance somewhere?! huh....whatdoyaknow?

Anyways. This pic is huge...20" x 26.5" to be in fact...hence why I had to move to a larger empty table in my basement to assemble it...

To give you an idea of it's size here's G1 Ultra Magnus chillaxing on it.

Now lets flip it over, because this puzzle is more then meets the eye...

Here you can see all the fun little pieces that you get to now tediously pop out...

and here's the aftermath...with all these you can make the 3-D mode of Ultra Magnus happen. May I add though how impressive it is that whoever made this figured out how to take pieces from all over the map and make them fit in 2 completely different ways...really more complex then one would assume.

PS: You may as well put the "scraps" back in the box as everything you need for the 3-D mode is now removed

3-D Vehicle Mode

Well...something seems off....AH! The Autobot logo on the carrier is too small!

...ok overlooking the obvious wrongly coloured cab it's fair to assume this puzzle was fully designed even before season 3 or the movie started as Ultra Magnus also sports his pre-movie silver chest plate.

This guy is about the same size as G1 Ultra Magnus in vehicle mode. Not much else to say here as the red cab is really throwing me off from saying much else....

3-D Robot Mode

To get him into robot mode there is some disassembly required. Arms need to come off to be repositioned, same with the legs (rotate 90 deg) and the elbows (rotate 45 deg). Though you can pivot the cab's "legs" much like the G1 toy and plug the head on top while adding the fists onto the wrists.

Will say one thing though...the red trailer actually helps the robot mode give him more of his onscreen appearance having a mostly red torso...too bad that silver chest plate fudged up perfection. Also note he has yellow eyes....weirrrrrd...eventually RID Ultra Magnus followed suit though :P

And once again, practically the same height as G1 Ultra Magnus. Similar articulation too...minus the ability to move his arms.

Conclusion

Overall though it's definitely an Ultra Magnus oddity...hence why I had to get it! If you like retro puzzles and transformers then this is for you! It certainly was fun assembling all the different "modes" and I'm gonna keep him in his robot mode so he can stay proudly displayed.

Besides...if you don't like the 3-D puzzle, you still get that cool old school G1 style 2-D picture you can frame...there's never enough good TF art

Or at the least...you walk away with a 3-D puzzle of Optimus in Truck mode and only truck mode.

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.

Last edited by GMfan; 11-23-2010 at 01:26 AM.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:27 AM   #2
Dark Rage
白人看不懂
Re: Ultra Magnus 3-D Jigsaw Puzzle (1986) Review

Must..buy...*zombie trance*

Aren't you worried about damaging the pieces when making it 3D?

Is that how you spent this weekend? :P
Dark Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:34 AM   #3
racerguy76
Nexus Maximus

Sweet little piece of nostalgia!!
Old 11-23-2010, 01:40 AM   #4
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rage View Post
Must..buy...*zombie trance*

Aren't you worried about damaging the pieces when making it 3D?

Is that how you spent this weekend? :P
Honestly...didn't think about damaging it...I got it because I wanted it in my collection for 3-D mode so if any pieces were going to get damaged it would happen one way or another.

Overall though there weren't any major issues with wrecking the tabs...some piece even felt like they were never folded. I got a really nice one with this set...box is a little concave on the cover but still in one nice piece.

...and no, I worked most of my weekend. Pretty much put this into every mode tonight, took the pics and wrote the review...and now I have a kick ass 3-D puzzle Ultra Magnus across from me

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:00 AM   #5
Jeem
Energon

That is beautiful

Thank you for show us this tonight.

Woot woot! My own Feedback thread!: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=24846

My For Sale thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=51577
Jeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:14 AM   #6
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Thats a really impressive idea actually. Very cool.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:45 AM   #7
UltraPrimal
Canadian Slag

That's weird how the cab is basically just Prime. I wonder how much his color scheme changed before it was finalized for the movie. Would be interesting to see all different color combos they went through.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:58 AM   #8
snowtech
Robot in Disguise

I'm Lovin It!
Old 11-23-2010, 09:18 AM   #9
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

I always thought the 3d puzzles were a 90's invention, learned something new this morning.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:48 AM   #10
Ultra Maverick
The Bow Tie Guy

I can't imagine how much thought must have went into this, good job Milton Bradley!

Of course I am impressed with you too GMfan, it's a great find for sure!
Ultra Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ultra magnus