Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > International Transformers News

Old 08-04-2014, 03:42 PM   #21
razin
Canadian Slag
Send a message via MSN to razin
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction Hits $1 Billion Milestone

The movie made 241mil domestically. So w/o China it is still not a flop. If this is considered a flop then so are Winter Soldier and Xmen. Overall its just been a slow year for movies.
razin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:45 PM   #22
Undrave
Canadian Slag

Okay flop might be a strong word, but it sure would indicate brand fatigue.

I don't know how good it really is for the brand.

While in line for Guardians of the Galaxy there was a bunch of guys behind me talking about stuff. In between there super mainstream geeking on Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad and Walking Dead (I'm such a hipster ) the subject turned to TF4 and one of them said something along the line of "it's got giant robots beating the crap out of each other, what more do you want?".

It took all my willpower not to turn around and berate him for dismissing the focus of our fandom with such shallow terms. Is this the image we want for our favourite franchise? Is that all we want people to know Transformers for? Is that all we want from our entertainment??

That's the legacy Michael Bay is leaving behind: giant robots beating the crap out of each other. Regardless of reasons or motivations, regardless of if we care or not about those robots.
Undrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:14 PM   #23
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undrave View Post

It took all my willpower not to turn around and berate him for dismissing the focus of our fandom with such shallow terms. Is this the image we want for our favourite franchise?
Doesn't sound like he was talking about the fandom, but the films in general and what he liked about them.

What a jerk that guy is, liking a Michael Bay Transformers film

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:38 PM   #24
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcuemjj23 View Post
How many of those people who contributed to the 1 billion wish they could have the 3 hours they wasted back?
Honestly, if you saw any of the previous transformers movies and went to see AOE, you have no right to complain about wasting your time or money.

What did anyone expect? This is a Bay TF movie. He gave us exactly what he gave us in the previous three movies, big boom and tiny story. So there was no reason to expect anything other than what we got.

I'm not a particularly big fan of the Bay TF, but they are what they are. In terms of story telling, AOE doesn't hold a candle to GOTG, but when I went to see AOE, I knew what to expect and Bay delivered on what I expected, good or bad as that may be.

If anyone saw the previous three movies and went to AOE, well, complaining about it is like going to McDonalds for a burger and complaining that they're not serving fillet mignon.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:46 PM   #25
Undrave
Canadian Slag

Bay movies aren't even the Fast food of movies, they're the gas station sandwiches of movies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
Doesn't sound like he was talking about the fandom, but the films in general and what he liked about them.

What a jerk that guy is, liking a Michael Bay Transformers film
I never said he was talking bout the fandom, I said the FOCUS of the fandom, the thing we're fan of.

Besides, I don't really care what that guy is saying. I'm just annoyed that he's a representation of the general public's idea of Transformers.

There's more to Transformers than just robots punching each other.

It's not like people love Beast Wars for its riveting action scenes, it was for the characters! And a majority of us prefer the comics since they ended the war.
Undrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:53 PM   #26
positivelyken
One Man Gestalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undrave View Post
I never said he was talking bout the fandom, I said the FOCUS of the fandom, the thing we're fan of.

Besides, I don't really care what that guy is saying. I'm just annoyed that he's a representation of the general public's idea of Transformers.

There's more to Transformers than just robots punching each other.

It's not like people love Beast Wars for its riveting action scenes, it was for the characters! And a majority of us prefer the comics since they ended the war.
You already described how these guys were engaged in some "super mainstream geeking" about other intellectual properties, so the way they talked about Transformers shouldn't have surprised you. This is how most people feel, talk, and think about TV shows, comic books, movies, and other stuff like this. It's only the deeper levels of fandom who form emotional attachments to the characters and who genuinely care about the canon. There's nothing wrong with either approach, it just is what it is.

Think about a topic you don't give a shit about, and I guarantee there's someone out there who can't believe your dismissive attitude about a thing he/she loves.
positivelyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:07 PM   #27
gcuemjj23
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
Honestly, if you saw any of the previous transformers movies and went to see AOE, you have no right to complain about wasting your time or money.

What did anyone expect? This is a Bay TF movie. He gave us exactly what he gave us in the previous three movies, big boom and tiny story. So there was no reason to expect anything other than what we got.

I'm not a particularly big fan of the Bay TF, but they are what they are. In terms of story telling, AOE doesn't hold a candle to GOTG, but when I went to see AOE, I knew what to expect and Bay delivered on what I expected, good or bad as that may be.

If anyone saw the previous three movies and went to AOE, well, complaining about it is like going to McDonalds for a burger and complaining that they're not serving fillet mignon.
I didn't spend my money on this movie. It was a screener at my buddy's movie theatre. I watched the first two movies in the theatre and the 3rd one on Netflix. So I do have the right to complain. SMH
gcuemjj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:05 AM   #28
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcuemjj23 View Post
I didn't spend my money on this movie. It was a screener at my buddy's movie theatre. I watched the first two movies in the theatre and the 3rd one on Netflix. So I do have the right to complain. SMH
Let's look at the situation.

You knew what to expect, but you still spent your time and went to see the movie knowing it was a Michael Bay TF movie that was probably going to be exactly like the previous three movies, right? You didn't pay for the movie but still sat through the whole thing when you could have walked out of the theatre any time, right?

Sorry man. IMHO the only person to blame for the wasted time is yourself. You had three movies worth of warning this was going to be what it was, and you had the freedom of being able to walk out after not paying one cent. Heck even if you did pay, you could have walked out within the first 30 minutes and have gotten a refund.

If you don't want to get wet, the surest way to stay dry is to stay out of the rain.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:14 AM   #29
Knockout
I can't anymore. Done.

Hey Bay did listen to us. We wanted more Cybertronians in the story we got more Cybertronian story. We wanted less of the crude humor, we got rid of the crude humor. We wanted better human elements, in my opinion we got the best so far (And I was never a Marky fan). He makes me cringe what he did with Drift (especially since I never saw him like a Japanese fanboy to start with) but I am glad he didn't get alot of the old characters or take more we like and do wtf with them.

The explosions weren't too bad. Though the part where Lockdown is chasing them to that warehouse...yeah, that looked really fake the way he threw that bomb and it just exploded out of the ground like that. You can tell they looked set, Bay didn't even try to hide it.

The 3 hours didn't bother me because when I like a movie I don't want it to end. Especially not the way AOE did, I was staring at the scene all wtf for a good 2 mins after it ended. Poor cleaning chick had to stand there waiting for me to leave. lol.

Also <3 Crosshairs just as much as I loved DOTM Mirage.

As soon as we hit 100 likes we will be having a sale!

Knockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:30 AM   #30
gcuemjj23
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
Let's look at the situation.

You knew what to expect, but you still spent your time and went to see the movie knowing it was a Michael Bay TF movie that was probably going to be exactly like the previous three movies, right? You didn't pay for the movie but still sat through the whole thing when you could have walked out of the theatre any time, right?

Sorry man. IMHO the only person to blame for the wasted time is yourself. You had three movies worth of warning this was going to be what it was, and you had the freedom of being able to walk out after not paying one cent. Heck even if you did pay, you could have walked out within the first 30 minutes and have gotten a refund.

If you don't want to get wet, the surest way to stay dry is to stay out of the rain.

Blah, blah, blah. Smh. I hated the movie. Its my opinion and when were you designated the movie theatre police?
gcuemjj23 is offline   Reply With Quote