Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 03:51 PM   #21
Tonestar
Star Seeker
Re: Masterpiece Prowl

I am quite pleased with the Takara version I got last year for $75 at a Toy Con so I won't have to worry about getting this version.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:56 PM   #22
The7thParallel
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoNKerS View Post
Dude i'm with you but these people like to compare the pricing with the Japanese sites...

how about you guys compare it to A3U, Automaton, BBTS, TFSource, etc...

I can get it cheaper over seas BLAH BLAH... man this forum makes me laugh at times...

Please write to TRU and ask them NOT to carry Masterpieces any more... that's what you people should be asking...

Oh wait... you still want TRU to assort. Just as long as the prices are the same if not lower than the Japanese sites... oh that's right...
To be fair, I think you've lost your mind.

You're suggesting that TRU should price match third party independent stores? And that we should be thankful?

Um, no. Listen, I don't mind those stores if I'm ordering something from Japan that I might not otherwise get or won't get here in NA for another year. Specialty shops like the Silver Snail also do this. But it makes sense...

Because they aren't massive retailers. Look, if Snail orders these figs for even close to the same cost as the direct retailers in Japan then they get them in, with shipping, for roughly $60 USD each at best. Then, because Snail is in a prime tourist area, they mark them up to $79-$89 meaning they are making, at best, $15 - $25 per figure. They need to do this in order to make a living and pay for people to do the work to send the toys out to you.

TRU, on the other hand, through Hasbro, is a MASSIVE DISTRIBUTOR and instead of buying a hundred figures buys thousands of them to distribute via their own network to all of their stores. Walmart and TRU are cheaper because of the quantities they are dealing with and the fact that there is no middle man.

Therefore, having Prowl at the $60 import price we can currently get from a Japanese middle man is pushing it. Costing the figure at around $50 makes more sense given the actual effort for the store to get it out there. $69.99 is nothing short of greedy considering that you can buy the figure for LESS than that and have it shipped to you from Japan right now.

What don't you get about that? What's so funny?

Maybe history is confusing to you as well. MP10 was super-expensive in Japan, then released here for $100 (and when it came out there was a 30% off sale to boot!) and now, two years later, I'm seeing the same figure in a new paint job at US TRUs for $150.99. Why, in two years, is an inferior version of the same figure now worth $51 - $81 more?

HA HA HA HA. Yes, fans are funny for asking questions! HA HA HA HA. Yes, maybe fans SHOULD ask TRU not to overcharge us! HA HA HA HA. Having opinions and offering feedback is wrong in a democratic society!

(please note sarcasm)

Look, the bottom line is that people will either be happy or not with the pricing. I'm not. If you are, more power to you. But the math of it doesn't make sense no matter how you justify it. If you'll spend the cash happily, then go for it, but that doesn't mean others don't have the right to ask questions.

And, by the way, asking questions or being unhappy about something doesn't automatically mean they hate TRU or should write them and ask them to stop selling these figures. That's just asinine. It was through customer complaints that Xbox reversed all of their unpopular decisions last year. Fans gave feedback and voted with their wallets. They got greedy and were told. They had the wisdom to adjust. Those fans who wanted the freedom to do what they wanted with their own games weren't being ungrateful, they were being customers.

Last edited by The7thParallel; 04-27-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:24 PM   #23
Knockout
I can't anymore. Done.

I see quite a few people on here getting abit aggressive concerning people complaining about the price. Especially when money is an issue. 79.99 US plus shipping is alot of money now that the dollar is low. And will continue to be low for some time. Technically the Hasbro ver. is a good price , if you didn't already have him. I was lucky to get Prowl at 49 US when he came out from Japan and that was much cheaper then buying him from US/CND online stores.

People have the right to complain if they want to, free country and all, don't need to get testy especially when ignorant of their personal situations. Plus 69.99 is pretty expensive for Prowl, he's not that big, and I doubt t box will be the size of US Soundwave. I suppose I can't jusitify the amount I'm paying for. PLus we all know this is going to be poorly distribited just like Soundwave was.

As soon as we hit 100 likes we will be having a sale!

Old 04-27-2014, 05:05 PM   #24
laffy
Crossover

holly cow members on here are cheep @@@.. one thing people are not looking at is shipping /the can dollar and heaven for bid dutie and customs .... that 46.00 car is really like 60.00 (15.00 shipping) plus theses online stores have NO OVER HEAD.. so for TRUS to charge 10.00 more (69.99) is not bad.. AND I don't care if you bundle to save on shipping...

retail for MP cars are 79.99, if online wants to sell cheaper yea great but STOP CRYING about it ..

Last edited by laffy; 04-27-2014 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:36 PM   #25
BoNKerS
Animated

Quote:
Originally Posted by The7thParallel View Post
I'm just going to snip.
To be fair I don't think I've lost my mind at all.

Please let's talk P&L for a moment. Where are you going to obtain your margin to ensure your OPEX is balanced at end of each quarter? Do you think the $5.00 Beast hunters will do it? These masterpiece's NEED TO BE MARGIN FILLED!!!

Their stores are not small, they have many employees, TRU does not have the luxury of the Wal-Mart's of the world.

3Rd party stores? *cough* they are ordering from the Japanes distributers. WHeredo you think TRU is ordering from? Hasbro Canada, their costs will NOT be the same at the Japanese Disti's. Do you think Hasbro's costs have risen due to the dollar? It will not get any better.

How many 3RD parties have a store like TRU and carry the costs? how many 3RD party stores Order the volume of TRU and get stuck with it? They have to drop pants in order to move many of the items... They don't have the luxury of just carrying Masterpieces and item we collectors only want. They need to cater to ALL ages, including us adult collectors.

As for the MASSIVE DISTRIBUTOR... yes they are large... they assort MANY MANY items... some which they sell at 0 or at negative margin... they need the traffic. How easy is it for the parents to shop at WM and Target. groceries? clothing? toys? fix your car? hardware? TOYS? pharmacy? oh yes lets' go to WM instead. I wish TRU had the same opportunity to subsidize as WM does.

MP-10, what an opportunity TRU missed up to make some $$$ subsidize their losses, please see TRU Q1 report.

OK OK look, I'm not laughing but it's entertaining... the costs are the costs. TRU will go away and perhaps leave behind TRU express stores, or just be online to lower their costs. They are losing money, and will not continue as WE the consumer complain about a fantastic product to purchase locally.

When the complaining starts please know they have a category to run. Low price point, medium and high. I'm sure you manage a business, or run a category and completely understand all this. So please keep it in mind. Margin is the game. Not selling High price point items at 0-5% margin.

Last edited by BoNKerS; 04-27-2014 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:51 PM   #26
laffy
Crossover

oh and I forgot that these cheap @@@ people will also be waiting for a 30% off sale and oh yes the clearance table to be full of these over priced MPs.. please all breath in and except that there has to be some money to be made..

As bonkers said is trus making money on the 5.00 beast hunters NO but in the end it will work out as the the proft loss will come from the sales of the so called over price 16.99 toys...
Old 04-27-2014, 06:06 PM   #27
Vorahk
Energon

Anyone else thinks that it's kinda funny that prowl is 69.99 while Grimlock in the states is 59.99? I think that 69.99 is just a placeholder price.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:09 PM   #28
CBII
Animated

Like Bonkers I find this comicial

The fandom complains they want more MP's....TRU's heeds the call and sets a "preliminary" price and the Fandom freaks out *flips table* (he he see what I did there...lol) and then complains more.

If you have a Takara one then YES say pass or hold out for a sale. No problem that makes

If you can only justify the price if the item is on sale or thats all you can afford...then perhaps rethink the need to collect these. That's just and over all statement and not directed at anymore. If you're offended by that then to bad. Truth hurts.

Whatever happened to just being grateful? All I see now is self entitlement and a "me me me me me" mentality.

The thread started with good discussions and devolved into BS...people chill the F@CK out.....IT'S A TOY!

I'll now go back to chuckling from the sidelines.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:21 PM   #29
laffy
Crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBII View Post
Like Bonkers I find this comicial

The fandom complains they want more MP's....TRU's heeds the call and sets a "preliminary" price and the Fandom freaks out *flips table* (he he see what I did there...lol) and then complains more.

If you have a Takara one then YES say pass or hold out for a sale. No problem that makes

If you can only justify the price if the item is on sale or thats all you can afford...then perhaps rethink the need to collect these. That's just and over all statement and not directed at anymore. If you're offended by that then to bad. Truth hurts.

Whatever happened to just being grateful? All I see now is self entitlement and a "me me me me me" mentality.

The thread started with good discussions and devolved into BS...people chill the F@CK out.....IT'S A TOY!

I'll now go back to chuckling from the sidelines.
omg words of wisdom im with you 100%
Old 04-27-2014, 06:22 PM   #30
laffy
Crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorahk View Post
Anyone else thinks that it's kinda funny that prowl is 69.99 while Grimlock in the states is 59.99? I think that 69.99 is just a placeholder price.
your right im thinking a 99.99 price tag will work...
Closed Thread