Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 12-09-2016, 12:05 AM   #1
zfarsh
Armada
Help me "Light-Up" my TF Shelves

Hi everyone,

So i have an oak color Billy Bookcase, where i am using 3 shelves for my Transformers collection. I recently bought 2 glass shelves, so replaced the top and middle wood shelve with the glass, and it is indeed much better now that light from the room can get everywhere. But i need a light system for these shelves, either some on top, or on each level. Pls help me on what to put, i need some ideas. I am not an electrician, and it has to be able to plug into the wall. I can drill holes in the wood part of the shelves, and i want to be able to still move the glass shelves one up or down hole.

zfarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:34 AM   #2
joshimus
Metroplex
Re: Help me "Light-Up" my TF Shelves

Rona has L.E.D strip lighting where you can even change the colours. That's what I am looking at for my bookcase display for my HotToys figures.
I'm still researching it myself but I think it's the way I want to eventually go. I think it is pretty plug and play but I need to figure out how many I need and don't think I want to drop 300.00 right now on lighting. Or just get a puck LED from Rona/Ikea, something that sticks with adhesive and stick one per shelf. Been thinking on that too.

http://www.rona.ca/en/pack-of-4-led-...trips-84095015
http://www.rona.ca/en/under-cabinet-...-pack-33785267

Last edited by joshimus; 12-09-2016 at 12:36 AM.
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:39 AM   #3
optimusb39
Animated

^^ that, oh and when you install the lighting don't put them behind figure, keep them near front of shelf or else half your figures will be in shadow.
optimusb39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:31 AM   #4
optimusb39
Animated

The strip lighting can custom cut to fit your cabinets and is all plug and play style. Decent prices too at home depot.
Also an adhesive backing so no screwong onvolved
optimusb39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:12 AM   #5
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusb39 View Post
^^ that, oh and when you install the lighting don't put them behind figure, keep them near front of shelf or else half your figures will be in shadow.
Depending on the figures, you may want them to be shadowed, or lit from the back.

Anything completely translucent would look awesome lit from the back. And particularly evil characters with light piping could have a neat effect.

But yeah, light from the front. Or maybe light from back and front, put them on two different switches. Some might look really nice completely lit.

I'd say check your local surplus stores for some LED strips, but you'd need a power supply, wiring, and some electrical knowledge to get that running.

If you're really into the brightly lit display, put a ring of lights all along the left side top and bottom, plus the back. Do the same with the right side. And then one along the top back and bottom back. And then front top. Crazy bright, and probably no shadows.

Last edited by Shepp; 12-09-2016 at 10:15 AM.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote