Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 12-21-2015, 05:11 PM   #21
BoNKerS
Animated
Re: American dollar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Cylon View Post
I just hope car manufacturers are not going to jack up Canadian prices for new year models...I am hoping to buy a new car in 2016 if possible.
Buy a 2015 model in 2016, that will be a better deal. Unless the 2016 have key features you are looking for.
BoNKerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:08 PM   #22
pside9
Beasty

My purchasing power was weak enough already because of my embarrassingly low wages, so having to save up 30% more now, just destroys it.

I never was a completionist. So its not a drastic change to hold off buying a lot of Hasbro's regular offerings. I've now stopped buying from nearly all of the other toy lines, to concentrate and save up for my absolute favorites.

Sadly though 3rd Party figures are going to be very hard to collect....especially because I'd love to have complete sets of those like PLANET X's or Fans Toys Dinobots.

Hey, at least I'm not starving or homeless.

Last edited by pside9; 12-21-2015 at 09:12 PM.
pside9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:40 PM   #23
Einstein
Banned
Einstein's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by pside9 View Post
My purchasing power was weak enough already because of my embarrassingly low wages, so having to save up 30% more now, just destroys it.

I never was a completionist. So its not a drastic change to hold off buying a lot of Hasbro's regular offerings. I've now stopped buying from nearly all of the other toy lines, to concentrate and save up for my absolute favorites.

Sadly though 3rd Party figures are going to be very hard to collect....especially because I'd love to have complete sets of those like PLANET X's or Fans Toys Dinobots.

Hey, at least I'm not starving or homeless.
I don't wanna hit you with more bad news, but the dollar is only going to get worse before it gets better
Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:13 PM   #24
CanBot
Cybertron

I noticed back when we were around 80 cents that perhaps the gravy train was coming to a close. Those who are somewhat new to the whole lower CDN dollar should know that the last ten years was more or less an anomaly. And our dollar is going to get worse (estimates around 60 cents, possibly lower) against the USD. That's just the way it is when your dollar value is entirely based on resources (in this case, oil was a big factor, IMO).

I basically spend where I get the best value. I don't mind paying CDN retailers in USD if...IF the cost of the item is the same as what the Americans are paying. I don't buy this whole 'higher population equals cheaper price', because that's just over the top capitalist greed talking. If an MP Starscream costs 50 USD, then I don't mind paying 80 CDN. It's when the american stuff is so much LESS than what we pay where our own retailers have a tough time. But, that's a 'them' problem. I go to where my dollar goes furthest. Some cases, that's ebay. Anyways.

Brace for everything costing more. Factor that into the seekers these days, when people fool themselves into thinking MP 11 costs $200. That's 200 USD; not CDN. It's been the better part of a year that you could find MP11 at around 200 CDN.

But it's a great time to SELL to the USA. Our stuff is getting great return. Oh well...it's all just money on a hobby that is a luxury to begin with. My heart doesn't bleed for Canadian retailers. If we don't like our laws about tarriffs and what not, then work to changing it. In the meantime, somebody must be paying USD to these CDN companies...they're still in business after all. And even they will eventually become the 'better deal' at some point. I didn't realize our dollar competes differently against the Yen than the USD; I thought it was all relative.

I buy all my stuff from Asia anyway, so I guess that's just the way it goes.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:13 PM   #25
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

I didn't want to start a new thread and this is somewhat related to how our CAD is tanking versus the USD:

My 3 year old LOVES Batman and Robin and I've been steering him more towards the '66 Adam West version (because, you know...70s Super Friends Batman & Robin are hard to find, Burton's 80s Batman is kinda dark, 90s BTAS Batman is too spooky, Nolan's recent versions of Batman is kinda intense and the various DC versions like the 'Arkham' video game Batman are too violent for a 3 year old).

So for his upcoming 4th birthday should I get him...

a) Mez-Its '66 Batmobile with 2-inch Batman & Robin
$50-$60 CAD from TRU USA (after exchange, possible duty, gas to the border and US address receiver's fee)

or

b) Mattel's '66 Batmobile with 6-inch Batman & Robin
$112 from TRU Canada after taxes, shipped

Is bigger better? Will the Dynamic Duo prevail? Tune in to the next post, true believers!

Same Bat time, same Bat channel!

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 02:24 PM   #26
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

As much as this is going to have a big effect on collecting I suspect we will see numerous other fan endeavors effected as well.

For instance the convention industry in Canada is likely going to be greatly effected, at least in terms of the cost of guests being brought in from the USA. Everything from flights to appearance fees are suddenly close to 50% more than they were only two years ago.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 02:25 PM   #27
Matrix_Holder
The chosen one

Just thought I'd throw this warning out there. In the burlington area (oakville, Hamilton and around Mississauga too) there has been a large group of people in there 20's passing fake USA $20 in the retail and food service industry. My wife is management in the food service industry and her restaurant got hit for hundreds of dollars in USA $20s, every restaurant in the chain in Burlington got hit for hundreds of dollars at each location in one afternoon shift. The police contacted her and looked through the security footage and told her that its pretty wide spread in the GTA. They buy small stuff with the USA $20 and get Canadian $ change and then comeback later and buy something small and pay with another $20 and get the change in Canadian. If you have a booth at a toy show or sell stuff on kijiji, dont accept USA $20s. I wont be taking it at my booth this sunday.
Matrix_Holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:38 PM   #28
Einstein
Banned
Einstein's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix_Holder View Post
Just thought I'd throw this warning out there. In the burlington area (oakville, Hamilton and around Mississauga too) there has been a large group of people in there 20's passing fake USA $20 in the retail and food service industry. My wife is management in the food service industry and her restaurant got hit for hundreds of dollars in USA $20s, every restaurant in the chain in Burlington got hit for hundreds of dollars at each location in one afternoon shift. The police contacted her and looked through the security footage and told her that its pretty wide spread in the GTA. They buy small stuff with the USA $20 and get Canadian $ change and then comeback later and buy something small and pay with another $20 and get the change in Canadian. If you have a booth at a toy show or sell stuff on kijiji, dont accept USA $20s. I wont be taking it at my booth this sunday.
I don't understand why anyone would accept American cash, it's the easiest currency in the world to copy.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:49 PM   #29
Matrix_Holder
The chosen one

one USA dollar is worth 1.42 Canadian and many food service and retail businesses in take it at parity and let the employees buy it at par. if you take in a US $20 its worth $29.04 Canadian. Its a simple matter of more for your money.
Matrix_Holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:24 PM   #30
Einstein
Banned
Einstein's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix_Holder View Post
one USA dollar is worth 1.42 Canadian and many food service and retail businesses in take it at parity and let the employees buy it at par. if you take in a US $20 its worth $29.04 Canadian. Its a simple matter of more for your money.
And NO ONE with two brain cells to rub together is going to give a US 20 away at parity.