Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 12-20-2015, 01:24 PM   #11
Masta_Skidz
Theoretician
Re: American dollar

not much we can do about it anymore even video games have gotten complete ridiculous as in the states a new game is 59.99 here is is 74.99-79.99 that is some serious Bullshit. I am with most of you people if I cannot find it in CAD then i can find it in YEN and I am more willing to pay YEN then USD.... I for one am totally in support of the Asian market it is the future after all lol......
Masta_Skidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 01:46 PM   #12
joelones
Beast Machine

There's in fact some truth to the time when the Canadian dollar was even/above parity and retailers refused to adjust prices accordingly. Why bother, right? The going assumption is that Canadians are in general a passive bunch. But on the dollar decline, CDN prices are reflected immediately.

And by the looks of it, the CDN dollar will in all likelihood continue to drop in 2016, unless oil prices change. Our economy is not diversified enough. The US Fed recently increased the rate by a quarter of one percent and we'll probably see more increases in the short term which will consequently weaken our dollar more in relation. Unfortunately, we won't be able to follow suit with a rate increase until 2017, as our economy is currently in the toilet. Looks like it's going to be a tough going in the near future...
joelones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:25 PM   #13
Einstein
Banned
Einstein's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masta_Skidz View Post
not much we can do about it anymore even video games have gotten complete ridiculous as in the states a new game is 59.99 here is is 74.99-79.99 that is some serious Bullshit. I am with most of you people if I cannot find it in CAD then i can find it in YEN and I am more willing to pay YEN then USD.... I for one am totally in support of the Asian market it is the future after all lol......
Video games are a great deal cheaper today than they were. In the 80's and 90's when games were still Cartridges it was nothing for a game to be 99.99 or 109.99 Canadian.

The very first Phantasy Star was 99.99 in 1987.

Golden Eye for N64 was 89.99

Consider yourself lucky.
Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:06 PM   #14
Mega-Prime 316
Cybertron

So what are the best Asian stores to buy from and how does the shipping compare?? Time, cost, ect...
Mega-Prime 316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:04 AM   #15
Mike
Robot Master
Mike's Ebay Auctions

all I can say is im glad I bought CW Devastator when I did! Trying to find that guy online would have been a nightmare!
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:03 AM   #16
Einstein
Banned
Einstein's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega-Prime 316 View Post
So what are the best Asian stores to buy from and how does the shipping compare?? Time, cost, ect...
I use Nippon-Yassan for mine or ebay.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:30 AM   #17
Masta_Skidz
Theoretician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einstein View Post
Video games are a great deal cheaper today than they were. In the 80's and 90's when games were still Cartridges it was nothing for a game to be 99.99 or 109.99 Canadian.

The very first Phantasy Star was 99.99 in 1987.

Golden Eye for N64 was 89.99

Consider yourself lucky.
I remember when video games costed more and had more value as they were not so readily available.
that was also when they used to put way more time and effort into them now they pump out so many half finished games that have so many glitches that they are hardly worth the asking price that they go for at release then 3 - 4 months later the game is on the 39.99 bargain rack as it is not "new" anymore.
Masta_Skidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 02:53 PM   #18
Pgianos
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einstein View Post
Even when our dollar was at or above par with the USD, the Canadian sites were still charging us more for shipping and more for the same item. Nothing has changed.

You want it to change, then buy from overseas, it is oddly cheaper than dealing with our own places here.

This super low dollar is only going to hurt companies in the long run because I know when the dollar stinks I spend less money.

We should have developed a North American currency with Mexico and the USA, one dollar we all use.

For years companies said we paid more for products because our dollar sucks, then our dollar hit parity and went even above and we still paid more and the retailers came up with other BS excuses as to why we paid more.

The fact is simple, we live in Canada, we should be charged in Canadian dollars, and for a number of reasons, the biggest being WE LIVE IN CANADA!!!! The second being I shouldn't have to pay an exchange rate with my credit card to shop with these CANADIAN COMPANIES.

If I'm going to be charged an exchange, I have news for all you Canadian etailers, I'm going to spend my money overseas until you stop doing what you're doing, it's that simple.
Right on. Even on eBay I don't pay American for items sold in Canada.
Pgianos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 04:45 PM   #19
Einstein
Banned
Einstein's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masta_Skidz View Post
I remember when video games costed more and had more value as they were not so readily available.
that was also when they used to put way more time and effort into them now they pump out so many half finished games that have so many glitches that they are hardly worth the asking price that they go for at release then 3 - 4 months later the game is on the 39.99 bargain rack as it is not "new" anymore.
Yes, those were the good old days. Sega Master System, NES, Genesis, Super NES... Yeah, back when games had character.

I miss those days.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:07 PM   #20
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

I just hope car manufacturers are not going to jack up Canadian prices for new year models...I am hoping to buy a new car in 2016 if possible.
Darth Cylon is offline   Reply With Quote