Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 12-20-2015, 05:50 AM   #1
Pgianos
Banned
American dollar

With the way our dollar is performing I'm out for basically anything being sold in American dollars, just leaves Canadian retail and Japanese yen. 70c USD is killing it
..the Canadian etailers are going to feel it bad I assume...
Pgianos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:58 AM   #2
Ras
Generation 1
Re: American dollar

Same for me. This has been my rule for some time now. Kinda sux but has to be done because the prices are dumb otherwise. Would be nice if manufacturers could do Canadian msrp with the buying power of Canadians in mind rather than what the US dollar is worth because really the international currency market has little bearing on incomes for average workers...
Old 12-20-2015, 08:03 AM   #3
Pgianos
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras View Post
Same for me. This has been my rule for some time now. Kinda sux but has to be done because the prices are dumb otherwise. Would be nice if manufacturers could do Canadian msrp with the buying power of Canadians in mind rather than what the US dollar is worth because really the international currency market has little bearing on incomes for average workers...
Well said bro...and agreed it's been this way for Me last 2 years..
Pgianos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:06 AM   #4
Einstein
Banned
Einstein's Ebay Auctions

I basically stopped buying from Canadian TF stores because they all use the US Dollar instead of ours.
Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:40 AM   #5
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgianos View Post
With the way our dollar is performing I'm out for basically anything being sold in American dollars, just leaves Canadian retail and Japanese yen. 70c USD is killing it
..the Canadian etailers are going to feel it bad I assume...
That would be why a lot of them starting selling is USD.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:55 AM   #6
justprime
Animated

Problem being that the product rarely shows up here in a complete line (if at all in some cases ) or in any volume forcing us to cross boarder or shop rest of world to find that needed piece if hasbro would make these available on line at a price and web axcess set out for canadians we wouldn't be raped by this downward turn of our dollar.
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:15 AM   #7
canprime
Nexus Maximus
canprime's Ebay Auctions

I've started selling off stuff in US dollars (mostly on EBay). This way I have some US funds for stuff I really want that I can't get in Canadian for a reasonable price.

On the flip side I can also transfer the US into Canadian if I need to for a purchase and use a bit less cash.

Overall though I am really having back until the dollar rebounds to a more reasonable level to justify spending.

Last edited by canprime; 12-20-2015 at 10:18 AM.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:08 AM   #8
mcfmullen
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkamanraiden View Post
That would be why a lot of them starting selling is USD.
No one disputes that. In fact, everyone is griping about exactly that.

Canadian retailers selling in USD is to the detriment of the Canadian market. It will hurt them in the long run because the only market that will buy from them is the US itself where bigger e-tailers exist anyway with lower shipping rates within the US.

Canadian e-tailers selling in USD when the Canadian dollar is high was smart, because it gives them a cushion when the Canadian dollar would (and has) drop like a rock, but that cushion cannot last forever.

The advantage in selling in USD to Canadians with a high Canadian dollar meant that the e-tailers could build that cushion while offering a lower shipping rate to Canadians, under-cutting the bigger e-tailers in the US while also offering a guarantee of no customs charges for even larger savings.

Now that the Canadian dollar has dropped so low, it would be smart for the Canadian e-tailers to revert to charging in Canadian dollars and charge Canadian MSRP to Canadians and US MSRP (in American dollars) to Americans. This way they won't absorb nearly the loss as they would by virtually the entire Canadian market jumping over directly to Japanese e-tailers because frankly, Japanese MSRP + duty is still cheaper than anything sold in USD right now.
mcfmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:25 AM   #9
Slayback
Animated

Now that the Canadian dollar has dropped so low, it would be smart for the Canadian e-tailers to revert to charging in Canadian dollars and charge Canadian MSRP to Canadians and US MSRP (in American dollars) to Americans.

There's a Canadian MSRP? or do you mean just charge the MSRP equivalent of the USD$ into Canadian? - Which really doesn't change much except tell people you're charging in canadian funds. The disadvantage of this is -not all Canadians are observing the exchange rate, so they see the average price in US eg- $100 and canadian retailers charging for $130 - they balk.

I'm assuming what most people are looking for are Canadian e-tailers/retailers to lock down their pricing. So when a figure is $100 Cad - it stays locked at that price and doesn't fluctuate when the dollar does. Makes sense -but i would also expect that the etailers/retailers would have to up pre-order costs in general to accommodate for the potential loss on the Cad$.

feedback :http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=31815
Slayback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 01:11 PM   #10
Einstein
Banned
Einstein's Ebay Auctions

Even when our dollar was at or above par with the USD, the Canadian sites were still charging us more for shipping and more for the same item. Nothing has changed.

You want it to change, then buy from overseas, it is oddly cheaper than dealing with our own places here.

This super low dollar is only going to hurt companies in the long run because I know when the dollar stinks I spend less money.

We should have developed a North American currency with Mexico and the USA, one dollar we all use.

For years companies said we paid more for products because our dollar sucks, then our dollar hit parity and went even above and we still paid more and the retailers came up with other BS excuses as to why we paid more.

The fact is simple, we live in Canada, we should be charged in Canadian dollars, and for a number of reasons, the biggest being WE LIVE IN CANADA!!!! The second being I shouldn't have to pay an exchange rate with my credit card to shop with these CANADIAN COMPANIES.

If I'm going to be charged an exchange, I have news for all you Canadian etailers, I'm going to spend my money overseas until you stop doing what you're doing, it's that simple.
Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote