Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 06-14-2009, 12:05 PM   #51
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3
Re: New G1 dvd is CHEAPER in Canada!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustajesse View Post
I'm going to pick up season 1 from Best Buy. I want to see exactly how "improved" this set really is before I take the jump and pick up the whole series.
Post a review! I really want to know the differences as well before I drop coin on a new set. Especially after watching a few episodes on Teletoon yesterday and seeing lots of colouring (among other animation) errors.

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:50 PM   #52
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by chans formers View Post
apparently they fixed all the coloring screw ups from the originals which rhino didnt.(no more see through prime trailers,no more starscream but with thundercrackers paint scheme,no more red bb/yellow cliffjumpers,etc)the latest issue of toyfare magazine explains it all in detail between the differences.
Did they remove the crappy added sound effects Rhino put in? I mean its really obvious and annoying when you have improvised explosion sounds that sound like someone dropping large rocks into a metal garbage can, especially when no explosion is happening on screen.

As for the differences between the Rhino DVD of the 1986 movie, and the Sony 20th Anniversary version, I don't know. I've heard that the Sony version has audio and synching issues with the music in a few places, but its unknown to me if the Rhino version is any different in that respect.

Anyways, I think I'll wait for the box set, and still keep my Rhino versions.

Last edited by Shepp; 06-14-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:10 AM   #53
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepp View Post

I mean its really obvious and annoying when you have improvised explosion sounds that sound like someone dropping large rocks into a metal garbage can, especially when no explosion is happening on screen.
I believe that was the Mandate for legendary Canadian cartoon Rocket Robin Hood!

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:05 AM   #54
Evan
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Galvatron View Post
This is interesting news. I now have to decide what to do with my Rhino box sets. Part of me wants to keep them, but if I end up wanting the Matrix box, which I am still undecided on, I will probably end up selling these Rhino discs off. No sense in keeping them both. And I never knew about the problems and inaccuracies with the Rhino discs before. Now that I do know about them I am a bit pissed about it and and more likely to replace them with the new box set.

I do have a few questions that hopefully someone can shed some light on. I lieu of the issues with the Rhino season boxes, does anyone know if the 2-disc 20th Anniversary edition of The Movie on DVD has any issues similar to the box sets?

Also, does anyone know if the Beast Wars and Beast Machines DVDs by Rhino include any problems that are similar to that of the G1 boxes?

And, anyone know if The Movie will be included in the new Matrix box set?

...if I do sell off the Rhino G1 boxes, I am still keeping the Animation cells that they came with. Those cells are so cool.
The problem with the Rhino sets (and subsequently Metrodome) is that they used the production masters instead of broadcast masters. Shout! Factory got a hold of the original broadcast masters. Unfortunately the broadcast masters were in terrible shape, and could not be used as source material. They went through the production masters that Rhino had used, picked out the mistakes, and cut in the appropriate scenes from the broadcast masters, and colour corrected to match up the footage from the different masters.

I'm not clear if the season sets have bonus features, or just the complete series. However, according to the Toyfare interview, the complete series (and only the complete series) will contain a round table discussion with eight of the original voice actors including Frank Welker.

I need this set.

I'm not aware of any strange issues with the 2 disc 20th anniversary movie. It was released by Sony. However Sony's release included the wide screen version on the disc. Previous releases from Rhino and Seville (I think it was) only had full screen. I'm not sure if this is actual widescreen or if they stretched it. It's my understanding that the movie was animated in 4:3...or most of it. Check out Metrodome's Transformers The Movie Reconstructed for what you're missing (which isn't much, but I enjoyed it nonetheless). Maybe someone else has more info about the movie, and can correct me/fill in the gaps.

I'm not aware of any Beast Wars/Machines mistakes from Rhino. I have never seen them. However when Anchor Bay re-released the first five episodes of Beast Machines, it claimed it was in 16:9, which prompted me to buy it again. Naturally it was still a full screen transfer. I was displeased. Everything was the same as their first release except for the case. I've heard rumours in the past that Beast Machines was animated in 16:9 and then cropped for television, but I have no idea if this is true. Thus I was very excited for the Anchor Bay re-release...and then very disappointed.

I don't know if the movie is included in the Shout! Factory sets. Metrodome included it (regular, not reconstructed) in their Season 2 Part 2 set.

Last edited by Evan; 06-16-2009 at 12:11 AM.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #55
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
The problem with the Rhino sets (and subsequently Metrodome) is that they used the production masters instead of broadcast masters. Shout! Factory got a hold of the original broadcast masters. Unfortunately the broadcast masters were in terrible shape, and could not be used as source material. They went through the production masters that Rhino had used, picked out the mistakes, and cut in the appropriate scenes from the broadcast masters, and colour corrected to match up the footage from the different masters.
Wow! That sounds like alot of work. This set will soo be worth it.
...or as a grade school teacher once wrote on the internet regarding Transformers, "It's so well wroth it!" (true story! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Galvatron View Post
And, anyone know if The Movie will be included in the new Matrix box set?
The website mentioned 98 episodes. Plus I mathly doubt it would all fit on 16 discs.

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:02 AM   #56
CobraCommander
ありがとう任天堂 ಠ_ಠ

$19.93 @ Wall-fart, didn't even have to do a price match with BestBuy.
G.I.Joe Figures - Hisstank

Feedback Threads:
Cybertron.ca
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:06 PM   #57
Evan
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLvatron View Post
Wow! That sounds like alot of work. This set will soo be worth it.
...or as a grade school teacher once wrote on the internet regarding Transformers, "It's so well wroth it!" (true story! )

The website mentioned 98 episodes. Plus I mathly doubt it would all fit on 16 discs.
I can only imagine how long that would take to do. Plus a whole lot of patience!

Madman's complete G1 collection from Australia is 17 discs. I don't remember what (if anything) is on it for bonus features. But I would think that is a good estimation.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:01 AM   #58
JaySmith
Banned
JaySmith's Ebay Auctions

Well I've started to rewatch The Transformers: Season One thanks to Shout!Factory, and I have to admit although I absolutely love this show, it would have been nice if they took the time to remove alot of the errors. I've already seen a Yellow Cliffjumper, and two Starscream's in one scene.
JaySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:46 AM   #59
onecoin
Banned

At retail, I have always found Candian prices on DVD/BluRay/CDs better than American pricing. Cause every time I'm in the States looking at buying a media, I always pass because I remember it being cheaper up here. Different Story online though.
onecoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:16 AM   #60
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
Well I've started to rewatch The Transformers: Season One thanks to Shout!Factory, and I have to admit although I absolutely love this show, it would have been nice if they took the time to remove alot of the errors. I've already seen a Yellow Cliffjumper, and two Starscream's in one scene.
That's not Yellow Cliffjumper that's a guest appearance from Bumper. And it isn't two Starscreams, it's Starscream and his brother Bob. LOL