Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 11-09-2017, 12:38 AM   #1
Yonoid
Nexus Maximus
Cleaning used figures

any tips on cleaning disinfecting used figures?

picked up some used stuff but I want to give it a good cleaning without ruining paint or stickers
Yonoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:19 AM   #2
79transam
Machine War
Re: Cleaning used figures

Damp cloth is what i use. I got some neat material with some sunglasses and it works pretty well. Q tips. Start with compressed air and you won't get any buildup in creases and joints. And for the gunk in corners you just can't reach into... silly putty
79transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:11 AM   #3
Digibasherx
Robot in Disguise

Personally, anything that doesn't have metal screws I use a baking soda + detergent soak and scrub with a tooth brush, that would get most grim out.

Anything with screws, metal pins and springs will be damp cloth as 79transam says.
Digibasherx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:46 AM   #4
Pgianos
Banned

alcohol for glue residue
Pgianos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:00 AM   #5
Pascal
Banned

Because Pgianos posted last, I thought the thread title was "Cleaning used pianos".

D'oh.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:07 AM   #6
justprime
Animated

Small brushes and chemical cleaners used in detailing car interiors(mostly made of plastics today) are good for this and are antibacterial/fungal as well ...vary light oil 3in 1 sewing machine oil for screw heads applied with brush keeps rust at bay..good clear lens polish for windsheilds clear parts..
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:24 PM   #7
Scowly Prowl
Calculating variables...

The milder the cleaner, the better. The least use of water is preferable. Be mindful of any solvents (which are hard on stickers and paint). And of course, be gentle. No one likes it when the tampo details come off...
Scowly Prowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:01 PM   #8
Chigimus
Masterpiece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgianos View Post
alcohol for glue residue
Your mileage will vary depending on how tacky the glue is. For best results, and as long as the surface isn't painted, your best best is nail polish remover. That stuff is pure acetone and is guaranteed to strip any adhesive surface I've ever come across. Use cotton swabs or tooth picks and work away at the glue gently with light usage. The last thing you want to do is have an excessive drop of it drip down onto a painted surface.

For dust, swiffer cloths and compressed air do nicely for the majority of the figure. With any tight spaces, use the swiffer cloth still or a microfiber cloth and press them carefully into such spaces with a precision screwdriver or spudging tool.
Chigimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:11 PM   #9
Yonoid
Nexus Maximus

What would you recommend for a disinfectant. Great tips guys
Yonoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:38 PM   #10
Chigimus
Masterpiece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonoid View Post
What would you recommend for a disinfectant. Great tips guys
I've never tried it but if you're that concerned about germs, Lysol wet wipes perhaps, but I would perhaps let them dry out slightly before using them. Straight out of the container, they're pretty soggy, and without knowing how that cleaning compound affects plastics and paint, I would want to apply lightly if I were you until I observe what might happen.

Alternatively, you can try applying short bursts of steam from a handheld steam cleaner. They're basically just pressurized kettles with a nozzle tip. You can get them at CT probably, or maybe Walmart or Home Depot. Just be careful how persistent you're applying heat and moisture. Sudden temperature changes and humidity is usually something you want to avoid for reducing color fade or discoloration, rusting pins/screws, or accidentally removing labels/stickers that were meant to stay in place. If you're going to steam clean, wipe it down right away with a towel that has high absorbency.
Chigimus is offline   Reply With Quote