Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-22-2018, 01:16 AM   #81
imfallenangel
Cybertron
Re: The Transformers VENTING Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKvsGUN View Post
Like I said, it's the online community, and yeah meeting people in store is totally different. Also, cybertron.ca is much better than tfw, which is why I mostly post here. About incels, you should have had a read of their thread on Hasbro's recent financial and legal problems, where folks did in fact blame fembots (mind you it's mostly modded out now).

If you guys haven't had that experience, then all the better for you. I haven't had toys breaking on me like others posting above.
I agree with your posts, this thread is a good example of that... one states one thing, and I don't get the point of others having to "prove" that it's not their "truth"... and of course I'll be direct that I know that this is about myself and others talking about breakage. Something that made me put some members on ignore after their attitude was simply something that I don't need (it's a harsher story but I'll leave it at that) as I'm here to share and have fun with good members, in regards to this hobby that we share.

My collection is beyond just Transformers, and some are over 40 years old... and, providing example such as the Armada and Energon series that I consider that they provided us with best "full" and solid toys that are no rarely the norm. The later generations with stiffer plastics that can snap if bent, the empty arms and legs, just don't feel as the same quality of those earlier generations... Sure, some parts are meant to pop out, but the lack in ratcheting joints ends up making many to wear and be flimsy and requiring re-enforcement to stand up after a bit of play.

Throughout the years, I've had a few that snapped even with gently use, from anything as hands (thumbs) breaking as I'm inserting the weapon, some with the wheels (or other parts) coming off, others that the connecting part joints simply cracked as I was transforming it, others that I can see stress marks, others that one bad move and I know the part will break.

Some plastic can't even survive getting old, with some plastic simply breaking down (gold colour anyone? such as my poor Millennial Falcon from the Star Wars crossover that I don't believe a single joint isn't now more glue than plastic)... Quickswitch (G1) is one that I've had to glue and modify multiple times.

There are even threads dedicated to weak joints, bad contruction, breakage, faults, etc. Heck.. I returned my Titan Tripticon within an hour from purchase as his hip snapped as I was putting him together, and finding that it's a major weakness in the design.

So is my venting that I hate buying toys that breaks even with gently handling, hate that they are quite overpriced for the quality and such inappropriate? I simply vented...

Of course some may be lucky and never experience it, but that is more a question of time, handling and lots of luck, but as an example, it's the same as cell phones, I've never broken one until I slipped on ice many years ago, and never since, while I know many that have had several phones due to breakage (dropping), exposure to water, simply going faulty, and not once have I felt "superior" because I'm still using the same one for several years, I live in dread that something would cause my phone to break down (as I love it) as I know it just takes one bad incident.

Did those that had to step in and say how they never had a single one break on them a vent at all? no, it's as you described, they have to feel a "win" over something.

And as you stated, some people I'd love to met in person, a few I would absolutely hate to face them in person and would avoid it in all possibility.

So yes, I'm venting about this sort of attitude that takes the pleasure of coming to this site away.
imfallenangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:52 AM   #82
Zenith27
Woodward's G1 lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfallenangel View Post
I agree with your posts, this thread is a good example of that... one states one thing, and I don't get the point of others having to "prove" that it's not their "truth"... and of course I'll be direct that I know that this is about myself and others talking about breakage. Something that made me put some members on ignore after their attitude was simply something that I don't need (it's a harsher story but I'll leave it at that) as I'm here to share and have fun with good members, in regards to this hobby that we share.

My collection is beyond just Transformers, and some are over 40 years old... and, providing example such as the Armada and Energon series that I consider that they provided us with best "full" and solid toys that are no rarely the norm. The later generations with stiffer plastics that can snap if bent, the empty arms and legs, just don't feel as the same quality of those earlier generations... Sure, some parts are meant to pop out, but the lack in ratcheting joints ends up making many to wear and be flimsy and requiring re-enforcement to stand up after a bit of play.

Throughout the years, I've had a few that snapped even with gently use, from anything as hands (thumbs) breaking as I'm inserting the weapon, some with the wheels (or other parts) coming off, others that the connecting part joints simply cracked as I was transforming it, others that I can see stress marks, others that one bad move and I know the part will break.

Some plastic can't even survive getting old, with some plastic simply breaking down (gold colour anyone? such as my poor Millennial Falcon from the Star Wars crossover that I don't believe a single joint isn't now more glue than plastic)... Quickswitch (G1) is one that I've had to glue and modify multiple times.

There are even threads dedicated to weak joints, bad contruction, breakage, faults, etc. Heck.. I returned my Titan Tripticon within an hour from purchase as his hip snapped as I was putting him together, and finding that it's a major weakness in the design.

So is my venting that I hate buying toys that breaks even with gently handling, hate that they are quite overpriced for the quality and such inappropriate? I simply vented...

Of course some may be lucky and never experience it, but that is more a question of time, handling and lots of luck, but as an example, it's the same as cell phones, I've never broken one until I slipped on ice many years ago, and never since, while I know many that have had several phones due to breakage (dropping), exposure to water, simply going faulty, and not once have I felt "superior" because I'm still using the same one for several years, I live in dread that something would cause my phone to break down (as I love it) as I know it just takes one bad incident.

Did those that had to step in and say how they never had a single one break on them a vent at all? no, it's as you described, they have to feel a "win" over something.

And as you stated, some people I'd love to met in person, a few I would absolutely hate to face them in person and would avoid it in all possibility.

So yes, I'm venting about this sort of attitude that takes the pleasure of coming to this site away.
This post was interesting. I rarely transform my figs so I suppose I'll rarely see much breakage due to anything other than old age.

Interestingly though, my experience with G1 breakage was very similar back in the day. (My bots and my brother's)

Mirage - waist broke after a week, returned to the store, waited for YEARS for another to come in, ended up with a Targetmaster *sigh*

Jazz - Broke after about a year when the neck pin fell out

Optimus Prime - arm exploded after a year or so

Blaster - cassette deck never opened, didn't know it was supposed to until adulthood, gun broke in storage after a couple months

Devastator - legs attachment piece bent then broke after 6 months (got stress mark after 30 seconds as I recall) (Only had LongHaul and Bonecrusher, borrowed the rest to make Devastator)

Jetfire - red leg armor broke from removing whole assembly rather than pulling at apart after 6 months or so

Omega Supreme - extendable tank tread got busted at some point in the first 6 months

Megatron - I never played with a non-broken Megatron as a kid. Saw about 4 in various stages of busted, one broke before the end of the birthday at which it was given.

I must say though. The dumber G1 stuff that came along after was WAY harder to break.

I wonder if my traumatic memory of breaking the only Mirage available at my small town K-Mart and having so many others break has made me more tolerant of the issues I find with the modern figs. I mean, I haven't had any literally break in half.

I also wonder if recent G1 collectors have these same issues or if all those flawed examples were thrown out long ago and only the sturdier ones are left?

(Note: I was by no means a spoiled kid, this list represents about HALF the bots my brother and I had as kids and I had to work mowing lawns for $2 a lawn to earn enough for a $14 Grapple or Sludge (which got loose but never broke!) We took care of our stuff since we weren't getting another one if it broke!)
Old 10-22-2018, 10:30 AM   #83
MahtimusPrime09
Shut up, Rattrap
MahtimusPrime09's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
Rumble is blue, Frenzy is Red.
Yes. Exactly this.

My Sales Thread
My Want List
My Collection
My Feedback Page
MahtimusPrime09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:54 AM   #84
Pascal
Banned

I only broke two G1 toys when I was a kid:

-Optimus Prime... legs broke after my youngest brother threw the figure on the floor
-Lord Zarak... one broken arm
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:50 PM   #85
Collectingtoys
Kid of the 80's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Collectors lying about how much they actually paid for their stuff.

Collectors using imaginary nephews to get deals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjgoku22 View Post
Lol, can I get a gift receipt for that
Hilarious! I can see how people would try that.

Didn't everyone have an imaginary nephew back in the days when chatting up girls?!?
Collectingtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:54 PM   #86
Collectingtoys
Kid of the 80's

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKvsGUN View Post
Like I said, it's the online community, and yeah meeting people in store is totally different. Also, cybertron.ca is much better than tfw, which is why I mostly post here. About incels, you should have had a read of their thread on Hasbro's recent financial and legal problems, where folks did in fact blame fembots (mind you it's mostly modded out now).

If you guys haven't had that experience, then all the better for you. I haven't had toys breaking on me like others posting above.
I ventured over to the Forums at TFW to take a look and you are 1,000% correct, a lot of members there incredibly uncivil and very nasty to get points across.

Since I discovered Cybertron.ca and meeting some of the members in person, my experience has been very positive. I really appreciate all the members that contribute to the Sightings forum.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:56 PM   #87
Collectingtoys
Kid of the 80's

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MahtimusPrime09 View Post
Yes. Exactly this.
Absolutely!!!
Old 10-22-2018, 03:05 PM   #88
pandaprime
aficionado!

another thing that grinds my gears is the company using resources to make non-transforming things like BotBots or blindbag RescueBots when those resources could have been used to make the figures that have transforming ability , which I want to buy, better like the Generations line.

Feedback thread:Cybertron.ca
Items for sale thread: Selling TFs
pandaprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:19 PM   #89
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collectingtoys View Post
I ventured over to the Forums at TFW to take a look and you are 1,000% correct, a lot of members there incredibly uncivil and very nasty to get points across.
And this is just one of the reasons I stopped going there years ago.
Quote:
Agreed.

Also, Cyclonus was Skywarp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaprime View Post
another thing that grinds my gears is the company using resources to make non-transforming things like BotBots or blindbag RescueBots when those resources could have been used to make the figures that have transforming ability , which I want to buy, better like the Generations line.
One, Botbots DO transform.

Two, this brings me to another thing that grinds MY gears; adult collectors who seem to forget that Transformers is a TOYLINE FOR CHILDREN NOT ADULT COLLECTORS!!!
Did it ever cross your mind that little things like Botbots might bring in a whole new generation of fans? It also might attract more little girls to the brand as the Botbots are very similar to other cute collectable things that little girls like, like Shopkins.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:56 AM   #90
Goaliebot
All Makes and Models

I don’t know if it’s because we’re smaller over here or because we’ve got that stereotypical Canadian polite thing going but I’m struck by how civil - nay pleasant - this thread is. Can you imagine this thread over on TFW?

And all this despite people posting flagrant lies about Frenzy being red and Rumble being blue.
Goaliebot is offline   Reply With Quote