Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-23-2016, 11:25 PM   #21
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions
Re: What's your favorite gimmick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
With you.

I have a soft spot for target masters. They're stupid but I have fun with it. Plus if you lose the little dudes the toy is fine (LOOKING AT YOU G1 MINDWIPE I NEVER EVEN *HAD* A HEAD FOR).
Don't feel bad, I had Vorath and suddenly, over night I lost him. Poor Mindwipe was then taken apart and his bat head flipped so he had somewhat of a robot mode, but no alt-mode.

He was also the first figure I did exploratory surgery on. I plan to treat the next Mindwipe and Vorath I have much better than their predecessors.

I just realized there's a gimmick that I haven't seen in Transformers. Blast-apart battle damage.

There was a Bishop figure in one of the Aliens toy lines that had blast-apart battle damage where the torso exploded if you hit a certain spot. It was spring-loaded, so you just put the figure together again and repeat. Otherwise he had the same articulation as the other human figures. There was also an alien drone that had the same feature, once again same articulation as the others in the line.

Waspinator would have been perfect for that feature.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:03 PM   #22
lothos
Generation 1

Yeah battle damage would be a cool thing.... Though it can be somewhat simulated with parts attached to the the round knobby joints. Heck most of my transformers will lose an arm or leg (temporarily) the first time I try to transform them. Of course one would not want to do that TOO often for fear of it becoming loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepp View Post
Don't feel bad, I had Vorath and suddenly, over night I lost him. Poor Mindwipe was then taken apart and his bat head flipped so he had somewhat of a robot mode, but no alt-mode.

He was also the first figure I did exploratory surgery on. I plan to treat the next Mindwipe and Vorath I have much better than their predecessors.

I just realized there's a gimmick that I haven't seen in Transformers. Blast-apart battle damage.

There was a Bishop figure in one of the Aliens toy lines that had blast-apart battle damage where the torso exploded if you hit a certain spot. It was spring-loaded, so you just put the figure together again and repeat. Otherwise he had the same articulation as the other human figures. There was also an alien drone that had the same feature, once again same articulation as the others in the line.

lothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:56 PM   #23
GotBot
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepp View Post

Interesting. I think the popping apart would drive me nuts if it was too touchy, or not touchy enough, but agreed, if such a thing existed, waspinator would totally be the right one to use it,lol.
GotBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:41 PM   #24
SleeplessKnight
Robot in Disguise

My favorite gimmick in Transformers is transforming. From vehicle to robot and back again.
My Sales Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=20919

My Feedback Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=21836
SleeplessKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:12 PM   #25
PrimalEnvy
Reverse Corte

Optimal Optimus had something like blast-apart damage. The blast shields on his arms could be shot off, leaving the frame of the arms beneath.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:34 PM   #26
The 12th Prime
Lost count, long time ago
The 12th Prime's Ebay Auctions

A lot of things I like are already being said, so I'm going with something I think needs another go around with today's tech. Electronics, lights are ok but what I'm really craving is a good in depth sound chip on a figure with lots of lines or quotes from the actors that voiced them. Imagine Buster Prime from the movies for instance with "We'll Kill them all" or Leader Sentinal Prime with his lines from the movies, Megatron, etc. I'm not sure if the actors guild is a barrier to any of this but if the actor and/or guild got a cut from sales of his toy that he/she voices it'd sell a few more toys at least. I'd definitely go sound over lights as I think sound is less intrusive on the figure. I just look at some of those movie leaders for instance and all they can tell me is their name, lol.
The 12th Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:29 PM   #27
Jove
Nostalgia Enthusiast

Combining, definitely combining.

There's just something satisfying about a gestalt mode. Even the derpy ones have a certain appeal.
Jove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:16 PM   #28
WereDragon EX
Robot Master

For me, it's a tie between combining and triple/multiple form-changing. All the better if a figure has both those features, like CW/UW Scattershot (I know the cannon mode is a fanmode, but still very convincing https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1489/2...4fe665d2_b.jpg).
WereDragon EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:28 AM   #29
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

I like having swappable faces and lots of accessories.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:42 AM   #30
GotBot
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULTIPLEX View Post
I like having swappable faces and lots of accessories.
Oh yeah! That's another good one I never thought to include !Many have mentioned great weapons storage (sad that that has become a gimmick instead of the norm, isn't it?)
I also noticed many saying light-piping. I love the stuff when done well, like generations Arcee. Some people hate it and I dunno why. I dunno, I like the face popping a little bit because of it. Springer had good piping too.
GotBot is offline   Reply With Quote