Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 12-28-2015, 04:03 PM   #1081
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!
Re: Star Wars Episode VII Discussion (Spoilers Within)

Putting a label on the dark side powers like Sith was not something I liked I have to admit. So leaving that open this time around was a good move. Even Snoke being addressed as Supreme Leader was refreshing rather than Darth this or Lord that.

Back to force pull. Where in the movies was telekinetic pull powers used on living beings? Using the force to knock someone or something like a battle droid back is boring and old. But pulling them in and having a face to face stare down is just straight fearless and intimidating.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:16 PM   #1082
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Here's the way I look at it. Cutting edge visuals are meaningless without the emotional connective tissue to pull it all together. I mean that's what's wrong IMHO with the TF Movies, and it's what was wrong with the prequels. But it's what was right with the original trilogy.

The OT had all the emotions right. That's what made it good. The visuals were the cherry on top that made them great.

Personally, I'd rather have a good story with crappy effects than a crappy story with great effects. I mean didn't the TF movies win academy awards for their visuals?

A great effects movie can be entertaining, but once it's over with, if there's no story to tug on the heartstrings, for me, there's little reason to go back. I've gotten all the movie has to offer in one sitting, but a movie with real emotions and characters that you love, that's a movie that just keeps giving.

Last edited by Sun Swipe Prime; 12-28-2015 at 05:19 PM.
Sun Swipe Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:48 PM   #1083
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

So was Avatar. It was all eye candies but it's just Space Pocahontas.

The Emperor was never named in the movie. The name Palpatine, "Darth" as well as "Sith" came from EU novel/comic. It would be silly if every Jedi is named "Obi-wan" something.

Last edited by Darth Cylon; 12-29-2015 at 02:46 AM.
Darth Cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:59 PM   #1084
MULTIPLEX

That was my main issue with the prequels. Lucas tried to label and explain everything and it just made me less interested acuse now I know too much meaningless info. Sith, midiclorians, Padawan, Sheev whatever...

Why can't things be left mystical and mysterious. You can't begin to quantify or describe "the force" and what being or becoming a Jedi is like. That's what makes it so interesting. Imagination.

The force power being inherited and that there is a light and dark side is about as detailed as I'd like things to be.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:01 PM   #1085
lothos
Generation 1

Midichlorians do exist.... My thinking though is that they are a symptom of having the force in the same way having lots of white blood cells means you are sick, or having mold on certain cheeses just means they are ready or wearing clothing ironically because you are hipster. Wearing that crazy hat doesn't turn you into a hipster, you are wearing the hat because you ALREADY were doing things before they were cool.
lothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:15 PM   #1086
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

Giving Palpatine a first name is just stupid. Think about it. Who would call The Emperor his first name? His parents? Dead! His master? Dead! (Maybe...maybe not).

Even Luke address the Emperor as Your Highness ("You've failed, your highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me.")

And Sheev just sounds silly. How do you even say it? Shit? At least Palpatine sounds like classical Roman Emperor name.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:15 PM   #1087
MULTIPLEX

Here is why I like the Kylo story line better than the "chosen one" Anakin character story line in Episode I. When Qui-Gon measures the midi count on young Anakin and Obi-Wan states not even Yoda has a midi count that high, right away expectations were so high to see Anakin become the most powerful Jedi/Sith ever, even more so than Yoda. Of course he never met those expectations during that trilogy. So he killed younglings. He was ordered to. He had no attachment to them.

What he should have done is kill Padme after the twins were born (misplaced jealousy), Mace and the entire Jedi Council before order 66. And then turn himself in willingly to the Emperor. Now that would have been evil.

Kylo's story already sounds more dark, which makes me want to see more of his character complete the training and do not evil. Plus see more flashbacks about how he destroyed Luke's new Jedi Order.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:11 PM   #1088
Chigimus
Masterpiece

Saw it twice now after last night... 1st was just AVX 3D, 2nd was in IMAX. Visual quality felt the same, audio felt better to me in IMAX. On to the movie itself....

I'll chime in on the "too much like New Hope" bandwagon in terms of how the story progressed, but Rey is a terrific protagonist to ride along with through this new trilogy. I'll have to watch it at least once more to catch what the whispers are saying during that vision she had in the basement, but I'll also say that while the story strongly leads us to believe that Rey is Luke's daughter somehow, it's also too strong of a suggestion. That's the thought pattern the imagery was designed to have us believing. The art of misdirection. My current guess at the moment (which is as good as any other theory): immaculate conception, much like how Anakin was "born from the will of the Force".

Finn being a descendant of Calrissian or Windu heritage.... neither disproven or proven, so sure, I can keep that on the table for now. What I would rather know is how does he just suddenly develop a sense of spontaneous morality? Sure, ok, he's not a clone. I heard that. But years of vigorous brain washing and conditioning shouldn't just suddenly vanish after your first taste of real combat.....wtf?

Poe Dameron: he's a likable character that needs more fleshing out and I feel didn't get his fair share of character development screen-time compared to Rey and Finn. Hopefully this gets a little more balanced out with Finn still unconscious and all.

BB-8: ZOMG, I WANT ONE!!! That is all.

Captain Phasma: I would've loved to see her get more screen time too and had to watch it the 2nd time around to confirm that yes, they really did cut her out of the rest of the movie that abruptly. Somehow she miraculously escapes the implied garbage dump they stuffed her into because it's been said that she'll appear in the next episode, but man, that was terrible not to see any footage of her getting tossed there nor how she got out of there.

Kylo Ren: somehow I feel that the portrayal of his personality is a little mismatched. If he's somehow supposed to be the best of the best among the Knights of Ren and Snoke's favorite pet...I dunno, I just somehow expected him to hold a more calm and collected demeanor. He raged out on setbacks way too easily like a whiny brat. Even Anakin wasn't as much of a brat. I still like the depth of the character and Adam Driver played him well enough, but how the writing and direction portrayed this character felt a bit off. Casting wise, I feel as though they could've casted someone better for the look. Han and Leia are an arguably attractive couple....you would think their offspring would look less goofy.... I expected a little more muscle mass, and definitely wouldn't have guessed their kid would have as big a nose or those giant ears..... If they wrote in that Nien Nunb was his father, that would've been more believable, lol.

As for where I would rank this installment among the 7 episodes so far...to be determined, somewhere in the middle. Not my most favorite episode, but not terrible either.

And finally..... I can't believe Han's dead, and not even a memorial service to boot before Rey takes off looking for Luke. QQ I mean seriously, they took the time to give Luke and Han a medal ceremony in New Hope but couldn't afford to give a legendary hero a proper salute for his passing. COME ON!!!! Hope this gets resolved somehow at the start of the next episode....like maybe Rey brings Luke back with her to the Aileenian (or however it's spelled) system and they address that loss when Luke gets reunited with Leia.
Chigimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:50 PM   #1089
MULTIPLEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigimus View Post

Finn being a descendant of Calrissian or Windu heritage.... neither disproven or proven, so sure, I can keep that on the table for now. What I would rather know is how does he just suddenly develop a sense of spontaneous morality? Sure, ok, he's not a clone. I heard that. But years of vigorous brain washing and conditioning shouldn't just suddenly vanish after your first taste of real combat.....wtf?
Yah this was hard for me to accept too. And Han's death not being acknowledged.

There is some explanation in the Visual Dictionary regarding Finn's motivation. It still doesn't sit well with me.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:54 AM   #1090
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULTIPLEX View Post
Why can't things be left mystical and mysterious. You can't begin to quantify or describe "the force" and what being or becoming a Jedi is like. That's what makes it so interesting. Imagination.
Yeah, it's like please don't tell me there's no Santa, and please don't tell me how hotdogs are made. Some things are just best not known for the sake of my enjoyment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Cylon View Post
And Sheev just sounds silly. How do you even say it? Shit? At least Palpatine sounds like classical Roman Emperor name.
Last year I got a bad case of the Sheevs. Doctor gave me some cream and it was fine after a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULTIPLEX View Post
Yah this was hard for me to accept too. And Han's death not being acknowledged.
I think they tried to address this by having everyone have an alone moment of being sad for his passing, Chewie, Leia, and then there was Rey hugging Leia on their return. I think also as Rey is getting ready to take off in the Falcon, she exchanges a knowing look with Chewie, and I felt that was an acknowledging that she's sitting in Han's seat.

In practical terms for the flow of the story it would have felt weird to have had a ceremony, and then have Rey go off to find Luke.

I don't think storywise they needed to have Rey find Luke at the end at all, but it sets up the new films and it was fan service so, that's why its in there.

Last edited by Sun Swipe Prime; 12-29-2015 at 12:57 AM.
Sun Swipe Prime is offline   Reply With Quote