Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-01-2010, 10:10 PM   #21
pud333
Animated

Meh. It was pretty good, but nothing spectacular. The effects were amazing, and I guess that's what people are going to see this movie for, but for a 2 1/2 hour run time, I sort of need a more interesting story than Pocahontas 2, you know?

pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:03 AM   #22
Ryan
Mini-Con

I've been wanting to see this for a while, but haven't found that 3 hour block yet.

Please please let it not be boring at times.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:09 PM   #23
onecoin
Banned

Finally got to watch this, twice. Once in 3d. Its better the second time around. Way better. Not because its good, but nothing can prepare you for how shitty the second act is. Its incredibly boring. Its nothing but a SFX showcase, that gets old fast. Any actual development in this portion could have been resolved in a 5 minute montage to some enya music. The final act is great. If you can survive till then. Watch it twice, then you can prepare yourself to actually enjoy the end. Oh and watch it in 3d. The added depth adds to believability/realism of the CG characters. I also liked that there was no hokey, shit coming at you 3D glasses moments. Not a great movie, but 1/3rd of the movie is enjoyable enough. It really is an SFX marvel, but I didn't enjoy it getting shoved down my throat, rather than just integrating it in to the story like D9 or 2012.
onecoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:51 PM   #24
Magnus
City Commander
Send a message via MSN to Magnus

Have to throw in my 2 cents here just cuz I saw the movie in IMAX 3D, a truly awesome experience.

Anyway, if you can afford it (let's face it, $20 a pop isn't nothing anymore), go check it out in IMAX 3D, I was completely astonished... Hell even the end credit sequence with a bird's eye view of the land is awesome!!

I agree with the posts that state visual effect = good, story = re-hashed hero saves the world shtick.

I left the theatre thinking that this is probably the first step in a new era of effects-driven movie-making.

BUT, I had to laugh when I read this: http://edition.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/...ues/index.html

I mean really? Robimus might be right about this movie if it can cause people to question their humanity after seeing it.

Boohoo the world is so gray compared to Pandora. Do they actually think that Earth would be like this if Industry didn't exist? Besides, imagination has always been more colorful than real life anyway. Why is everybody getting so down?

Meh... my opinion about it. Maybe I just don't get the bigger picture that this movie presents.
Earthrise - Centurion Drone set, Thrust, Runabout
Kingdom - GS Galvatron, Road Rage
Masterpiece - MP-19+ Smokescreen, MP-20+ Wheeljack, MP-39+ Spinout
3P: MMC Commotus

"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy - okay, give me the bomb." - Ultra Magnus

My feedback thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...ghlight=Magnus
Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:54 PM   #25
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

I think there is a tendency for a lot of people whom villianize humanity for the amounts of damage apparently being caused by our societies to downplay or overlook all the good things humanity has actually come up with.

Yeah, humanity built the atmoic bomb, yeah maybe we're poisening our atmosphere, there are certainly points against us.

But what about all the amazing medicines and technlogies we've created that actually save lives? Insulin? Antibotics? Vaccines? Various surguries that extend/improve life, from knee replacements to c-sections to heart transplants.

People aren't thinking about the good things in our world when they look at the Blue Men and idolzie them as perfect(which I think was clearly the film makers goal).

As escapist entertainment Avatar is pretty fun, as pushing a social message its pretty weak(though apparently,as I suspected, people are buying into the crap).

The Blue Men have zero to do with our world, they have a physical bond with their planet unlike anything the earth has. We can't meld with out enviroment. We don't have lekku we can plug into the nearest tree to bond with the world.

They have nothing to do with any earth cultures(despite the Pocahontas like storyline). Nothing to do with aboriginal or native peoples from our history. If one is interested in a film about that I reccomend Apocolypo, directed by Mel Gibson, it's an excellent and realistic look at humanity.

In short, no matter what there will always be good with the bad, or bad with the good.

That CNN article is truly a little scary, but it shows that if a sheep herder manages to hit the right note undoubtly sheep will follow.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:34 PM   #26
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Tried twice to see this in IMAX 3D...sold out hours before every time.

Attempt #3 taking place this weekend.

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:26 AM   #27
blitz
More the Meets the Eye

^^You have to get tickets really early or early online. When I watched the last show my friend got tickets in the morning.
blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #28
Magnus
City Commander

yeah, same here. My buddy got tickets at lunch time for a 7PM show. hte IMAX here in Montrela provides "stadium" seeting (asigned seets for each ticket) and our seets not bad, but not great. That's all he could get 7 hours before showtime. So yeah, early bird gets the worm here.

"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy - okay, give me the bomb." - Ultra Magnus

Old 01-15-2010, 12:03 PM   #29
Magnus
City Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
I think there is a tendency for a lot of people whom villianize humanity for the amounts of damage apparently being caused by our societies to downplay or overlook all the good things humanity has actually come up with.

Yeah, humanity built the atmoic bomb, yeah maybe we're poisening our atmosphere, there are certainly points against us.

But what about all the amazing medicines and technlogies we've created that actually save lives? Insulin? Antibotics? Vaccines? Various surguries that extend/improve life, from knee replacements to c-sections to heart transplants.

People aren't thinking about the good things in our world when they look at the Blue Men and idolzie them as perfect(which I think was clearly the film makers goal).

As escapist entertainment Avatar is pretty fun, as pushing a social message its pretty weak(though apparently,as I suspected, people are buying into the crap).

The Blue Men have zero to do with our world, they have a physical bond with their planet unlike anything the earth has. We can't meld with out enviroment. We don't have lekku we can plug into the nearest tree to bond with the world.

They have nothing to do with any earth cultures(despite the Pocahontas like storyline). Nothing to do with aboriginal or native peoples from our history. If one is interested in a film about that I reccomend Apocolypo, directed by Mel Gibson, it's an excellent and realistic look at humanity.

In short, no matter what there will always be good with the bad, or bad with the good.

That CNN article is truly a little scary, but it shows that if a sheep herder manages to hit the right note undoubtly sheep will follow.
I could not have said this any better. That was beautiful man!

Old 01-18-2010, 02:55 PM   #30
ANDROID PRIME
Robot in Disguise

ABADAH! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwvvxQUlTlc
ANDROID PRIME is offline   Reply With Quote