Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 07-22-2014, 04:09 PM   #1
soundwave1976
Machine War
The First Masterpiece?

Hello one and all!

I never really considered myself a TF collector as up until last year I only had I think maybe a dozen or so and half of those were G1. Since last October when I decided to really focus on TFs my collection is now round 80 or so with about 60 being G1. I tell you this as back then my knowledge of the TF universe was nothing compared to what it is now.

The other night I was sitting in my basement looking at my 20th Anniversary DVD Optimus Prime. For some odd reason I never transformed him nor did I, for some even odder reason, think he actually did. I told a good friend about this (he's not a TF collector but does like my collection) and he said he was one of the first masterpiece TFs. I got him back when he was released in stores on one of my state-side shopping trip, so he's been around a while.

... which brings to me my actual question...

Not sure if this topic has been tackled before but... Who is the 'first masterpiece'?

soundwave1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:34 PM   #2
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions
Re: The First Masterpiece?

Optimus was. MP-1 from Takara and I believe the Hasbro one you mentioned was here across NA
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:35 PM   #3
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Masterpiece
Old 07-22-2014, 04:41 PM   #4
elburrito
Animated

Arguably, the first "Masterpiece" transformer was G1 Jetfire.

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:48 PM   #5
justprime
Animated

The vary first master piece was a Takara release (just Takara's before the radio shack rejects tomy joined up"LOL") the original prime had long stacks die cast and rubber tires (heavy) and came in a nicely deckoed box with good instructions and a cardboard trailer first release, proper G1 representation (although the prototype had the proper red and the forarm arm details were larger).... none of that for the later hasbro version that had short stacks or battle damaged paint , takara's was clean and crisp, good chrome, with a grey gun light up eyes/matrix, movable mouth plate, wack of accessories.... etc,.. and I can't remember any Qc issues at the time not like the mp 10. MP 02 was a repaint white/blue and coined ultra magnus. Takara later went on and added a trailer and further repaints of the mold in black(nemisis) and sleep mode (death from 86 movie) versions.
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:12 PM   #6
Benzo
Plastic Crack Addict

mine was the 20th Anniversary DVD Optimus Prime
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:55 PM   #7
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by elburrito View Post
Arguably, the first "Masterpiece" transformer was G1 Jetfire.
Interesting thought. I don't want to sound like I would disagree but am curious as to why you would say this.
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:41 PM   #8
Ozrein
Stunticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by justprime View Post
The vary first master piece was a Takara release (just Takara's before the radio shack rejects tomy joined up"LOL") the original prime had long stacks die cast and rubber tires (heavy) and came in a nicely deckoed box with good instructions and a cardboard trailer first release, proper G1 representation (although the prototype had the proper red and the forarm arm details were larger).... none of that for the later hasbro version that had short stacks or battle damaged paint , takara's was clean and crisp, good chrome, with a grey gun light up eyes/matrix, movable mouth plate, wack of accessories.... etc,.. and I can't remember any Qc issues at the time not like the mp 10. MP 02 was a repaint white/blue and coined ultra magnus. Takara later went on and added a trailer and further repaints of the mold in black(nemisis) and sleep mode (death from 86 movie) versions.
While technically the Takara one was the "first" MP release, Hasbro's 20th Anniversary version was released at the same time. I remember pre-ordering it back in late 2003.

And then there's multiple releases of the mold since then on both sides of the pond.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:44 PM   #9
elburrito
Animated

Quote:
Originally Posted by wervenom View Post
Interesting thought. I don't want to sound like I would disagree but am curious as to why you would say this.
Jetfire is well-articulated, sturdy and solid in both modes. In fact, I believe the original mold was marketed as "perfect transformation". I posted the comment in hopes that it be thought provoking though.

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:26 PM   #10
pandaprime
aficionado!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elburrito View Post
Jetfire is well-articulated, sturdy and solid in both modes. In fact, I believe the original mold was marketed as "perfect transformation". I posted the comment in hopes that it be thought provoking though.
but he was only vaguely cartoon accurate....

Feedback thread:Cybertron.ca
Items for sale thread: Selling TFs
pandaprime is offline   Reply With Quote