Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 09-15-2016, 02:00 PM   #31
Rodimus Prime1
Ride in Style
Re: Why do you collect?

1. Because I can

2. I'm a compulsive collector who can't help himself.

3. I'd be a hoarder if it wasn't for my wife

4. Because I like to open packages I get in the mail.

5. Never had TF's as a kid, just basic lego.

6. Only started collecting TF's with BW and a couple of pre MP-10 masterpiece. Then just kept going.

PS . Also have SW Lego and SW figures too as well as a few other non toy collections so I guess it's a addiction

Wants: >

Feedback

Collection
Rodimus Prime1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:57 PM   #32
elburrito
Animated

Yeah, that club is called "everybody" and we meet at the bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Cylon View Post
... A bunch of grown-ups who try to compensate some forms of trauma and deficiency they suffered during their childhood with...
*nods to Drew Carey

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:43 PM   #33
Perceptor
Alternator

I grew up poor and didn't have many toys (4 TFs all told when I was a kid... all gifts from friends of my parents). So definitely there is a sense of hey I can afford it now...

But I truly enjoy playing with the figures... it's a relaxing time and takes my mind off things. And for sure after a while it's become a "fix"!
Old 09-16-2016, 02:24 PM   #34
Blitzwing
Armada

Great Topic and some great responses in here.

I've been collecting for so long now that I don't even know if I have an answer for this any more, it's just a part of who I am as a person. I love having them on display and talking to people about them when they come over. I love transforming them and displaying them in new ways. I even love the thrill of the hunt, finding something out in the wild, or finding a great sale online.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:55 PM   #35
joshimus
Metroplex

I loved them as a kid and When BW S3 came out, and I started to buy stuff on my own, I got Depthcharge...then needed Rampage...and that's when it all went downhill.
Personally, I love the challenge. Buying Takara also helped me with transforming toys without instructions, something I only use occasionally on 3P or MP if I am stuck, for "just in case" to not break it.
I've always been a toy person. I collect WAY too many lines but TF's, they have more value in terms of transforming them. I haven't played with my toys in a looong time but on occasion I will transform some from time to time.
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:29 PM   #36
Chigimus
Masterpiece

Strong nostalgia influence for me. My very first Christmas that I remember as a child was getting G1 Prowl and Soundwave. "You never forget your first time" as the saying goes, have always loved the franchise ever since then, and continued to be fascinated with robots, and I enjoy the puzzle of transforming them.
Chigimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:40 PM   #37
Ras
Generation 1

Control.

I get the ones I deem must haves and ignore the rest. Open the boxes and transform them one or twice, then they go on the shelf in my collection where the only thing that really touches them again is a duster or occasionally my kids, but never me. I just like knowing have have the best ones and I like to look at them while I work on my computer.

Oh and I try and only buy stuff that is available at retail (my filter between toy and collectible) so if something were to be damaged the replacement cost is not high... more control to have everything perfectly the way I like it.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:45 PM   #38
ConvoyGTR
Generation 2

- I've always liked robots, every since I can remember I've always like Transformers and Gundams. It's just a part of my life.

- Some of it is nostalgia and having a physical representation of the thing I like that I saw on TV or movie is fulfilling.

- I have a compulsive spending and collecting problem sometimes. I can control it sometimes and sometimes it controls me.

- A really well designed and made toys is exciting to me. It's something I enjoy looking at and appreciating what it's capable of and the effort that went into it.
Example: CW Shockwave, MP Soundwave, MP Prowl, MT Ironwill, and, FP Function X Smart Robin.
Non TF examples: SOC Gunbuster, MB 00 Raiser, DX Chogokin YF-19, HT Iron Man Mark 45, and S.H.Figuarts Goku (awakening ver).

I don't play with toys as much as I use and there more of a display thing because there are other things that occupy my time. But I still collect and appreciate them when I look at the shelf.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:21 PM   #39
GotBot
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzwing View Post
Great Topic and some great responses in here.

I've been collecting for so long now that I don't even know if I have an answer for this any more, it's just a part of who I am as a person. I love having them on display and talking to people about them when they come over. I love transforming them and displaying them in new ways. I even love the thrill of the hunt, finding something out in the wild, or finding a great sale online.
I share that too. It is just what I do now. This was a definite honest to goodness answer if ever I read one.
GotBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:26 PM   #40
GotBot
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras View Post
Control.

I get the ones I deem must haves and ignore the rest. Open the boxes and transform them one or twice, then they go on the shelf in my collection where the only thing that really touches them again is a duster or occasionally my kids, but never me. I just like knowing have have the best ones and I like to look at them while I work on my computer.

Oh and I try and only buy stuff that is available at retail (my filter between toy and collectible) so if something were to be damaged the replacement cost is not high... more control to have everything perfectly the way I like it.
Ooooh, now that is a good one. I think along the same lines after I broke the shoulder of poor ole waspinator, who is a terrific figure despite limitatins and delicacies. Who knew there was such a wide range of reasons we all collect? Gundam, Robotech and Machine Robo, plus SW seems to go hand in hand for a lot of collectors too.
GotBot is offline   Reply With Quote