Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-22-2014, 11:36 AM   #81
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.
Re: The Scalper Annoyance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaliebot View Post
Canadian (BC) seller on ebay right now. Some still in the TRU bags.

I just did the math, and these pics, at least the boxes we can see, represent over $4300 dollars worth of merchandise. I can only hope that this guy has to eat at least part of that.

Do I believe scalpers exist? Yes. But I think people buying multiples for their friends/fellow boardies are the bigger problem.
If you go to TRU and pick up 10 of figure X for yourself and friends, effectively cleaning them out, are you scalping? No, but it has the same effect.
Because if I happen to live in the same area and are unlucky enough to go to TRU after you've been there, now I can't buy figure X, and neither can anybody else.
And having worked plenty of retail in my life I know that TRU isn't going to restock those figures anytime soon either.

Now, I'm not saying that nobody should pick up for other fellow collectors, but be mindful of what you're doing and don't clean out a store of the figure you know is currently highly desirable. Don't screw other collectors in your area because you're doing a solid for some that don't live around there.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:06 PM   #82
Hellboy
Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphatron View Post
So many of us fellow collectors have ended up expressing our disregard for the various scalpers in our areas on the sightings forum many, many times. With the large amounts, I figured we start a thread just for this, a place where our rants can find a "home", if you will. Curious to see what stories and experiences you guys have come across with your region of scalpers, but I'll start off w/ a story of my own.

So i was at the Vic Park and Danforth Target, looking for the Windblade wave, and sure enough, I found at least 3 of each of the figures in the wave (plus a tankor as well.) Seeing how there were so many left, I finished up a few errands I had in Target, to save some time. But by the time I come back, EVERY SINGLE FIGURE from her wave was gone, and just as I was about to leave the store to my car, I saw the guy loading his car with his "newfound haul"

Kind of sickly to see such disconsideration for fellow consumers. But enough about my rant, what are some of your stories/experiences?
Darn, I should have picked up Windblade at that Target when I saw it too... to me it's a fugly figure but I could have handed it off to someone here.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:09 PM   #83
Hellboy
Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave 75 View Post
I just did the math, and these pics, at least the boxes we can see, represent over $4300 dollars worth of merchandise. I can only hope that this guy has to eat at least part of that.

Do I believe scalpers exist? Yes. But I think people buying multiples for their friends/fellow boardies are the bigger problem.
If you go to TRU and pick up 10 of figure X for yourself and friends, effectively cleaning them out, are you scalping? No, but it has the same effect.
Because if I happen to live in the same area and are unlucky enough to go to TRU after you've been there, now I can't buy figure X, and neither can anybody else.
And having worked plenty of retail in my life I know that TRU isn't going to restock those figures anytime soon either.

Now, I'm not saying that nobody should pick up for other fellow collectors, but be mindful of what you're doing and don't clean out a store of the figure you know is currently highly desirable. Don't screw other collectors in your area because you're doing a solid for some that don't live around there.
What do people feel about online orders now that it seems to be the route TRU is going for most MPs? Is it still considered scalping if you order 12 of the same figure when everyone else has the same opportunity to do so?

I'm not advocating for the guy with the 40 Soundwaves but I am curious how people feel.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:46 PM   #84
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
What do people feel about online orders now that it seems to be the route TRU is going for most MPs? Is it still considered scalping if you order 12 of the same figure when everyone else has the same opportunity to do so?

I'm not advocating for the guy with the 40 Soundwaves but I am curious how people feel.
I find most of the time they limit the number you're allowed to order online or they just revise your order before they ship.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:46 AM   #85
CanBot
Cybertron

Who knows where these scalpers come up with their prices. Notice all the Metroplexes on ebay lately? Average about $150. Costco sold em' for $90. Not a bad profit, only had to wait a year. There's really nothing that can be done, but since this is an Annoyance thread, then I shall give my two fucks towards any scumbag scalpers I see in the wild. To be honest, there's so much hassle with selling on ebay (and that's where they get the top dollar) that it's only when you do what Soundwave Scumbag in the pictures above did: drop 4 grand and hope to make another 4 grand! Less than that, you might as well be working at Walmart anyway. The packaging, the sham buyers, the ebay and paypal fees...damn, is it really worth it? These guys have gotta put those skills to some other endeavor.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:55 AM   #86
Cerebros
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanBot View Post
Notice all the Metroplexes on ebay lately? Average about $150. Costco sold em' for $90.
Costco USA blew them out for $49.99. I picked mine up right before the price drop and paid $69.99 from Costco.
Cerebros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:21 AM   #87
justprime
Animated

I blame no one but Hasbro, the retailers and of coarse US the collectors Hasbro's reluctance to provide product availability and in a timely fashion, the retailers for not ordering product but waiting for the after sales deals (hasbros clearing out stock,... the new movies waves not arriving is an example) toys r us stocking of MP's is another example come on your a frieckin toy store and should have product in quantity and availability. lastly I blame us for the love of this toy line we pay the outragious prices that short packed figures command due to the top two reasons above.
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:59 PM   #88
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Costco's in Winnipeg never got any Metroplex's at all.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:30 PM   #89
chans formers
raff ow roud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
Costco's in Winnipeg never got any Metroplex's at all.
^i don't think calgary got them either iirc.
i even renewed my 50 dollar costco card just to waste gas going every day looking for an extra to make a metrotitan,eventually caving and buying a second at full price from tru next door on 32nd ave.