Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 06-21-2015, 10:18 PM   #1
Slayback
Animated
IF -EX04 City Commander

Iron Factory: EX-04 City Commander

Released: Jun 2015
Based: Transformers Generation 1
Ultra Magnus

Package includes:
o City Commander figure
o 2 hand guns black and white
o 2 warhammer handles black and white
o 2 larger black guns
o 2 sets of shields with guns and missile pods
o hammer
o Instructions

Height robot mode: under 5”.

I never thought I would do a review for a legends class figure, but there are a couple of reasons why I am doing this. 1) Seems a lot of people (and rightfully so) are concerned with the high costs of the figures. Usually a two pack will run you about 60$ Cad or $45 USD (before shipping).
2) More and more people seem to want me to carry the figures and in order for me to carry these – I don’t want my customers getting crap.

Positives
Material
The plastic for this figure is surprisingly durable and seems resistant to flex. That’s right, there is no flexibility in this plastic, but there is no need for it in this figure. The figure is very sturdy and strong.

Detail
City Commander has a great deal of detail –especially for the size. The figure has lots of grooves and fine detailing – all of which are highlighted by the different paint applications.
Iron Factory has liberally applied highlights to areas of the figure that breaks up the solid plastic colours.
I dig the simplicity of the face sculpt, but the little bit of detail that went into the helmet. Don’t forget we’re dealing with something that’s almost less than a cm large.

Transformation
I was able to transform the figure right off the instructions that came with it. This is a good transformation as well as a good set of instructions. There wasn’t a need for a 20 minute youtube show. The physical transformation wasn’t complicated, but was complex enough for a legends scaled figure, just enough movement.

Joints
The figure is ball jointed in the shoulders, hips, head and feet. The ball joints on the feet enable the ankles to tilt, allowing for varied poses in the standing position. Bends are in the usual spots; knees, and elbows, as well as having limited thigh rotation, full bicep rotation, wrist rotation and waist rotation.

Other notables
City Commander comes with a varied amount of weapons. Some of the weapon sets are already included in the Sonitech set (aka. Blaster), but they fit well. The Generations Metroplex can always use more guns. Included in the weapon set, is a handle for C.C’s hammer that comes in black or white, his main blaster that comes also in either black or white. The hammer handle is hinged which allows for the figure to hold it without compromising the overall aesthetic.

Instructions
Easy to follow. What more can a person ask for?

Negatives

Figure –vehicle mode
I like the vehicle mode, but the lack of rolling wheels is a little disappointing. I’m sure if the figure had rolling wheels it would have been more expensive, but I think it’s almost necessary for any transforming vehicle to be able to roll. It’s supposed to be a vehicle? Then it should have wheels to roll.

Wow-factor
There isn’t really a ‘wow’ factor for this figure – not for me at any rate. It’s great as a legends scaled figure, and has great detail, but nothing jumps out at me that gives it extra bonus points.

Things I wished for
Just rolling wheels, which isn’t a lot on my want list. Everything seems to have been taken care of. No – cheaper costs don’t factor in.

Overall
I am pleasantly surprised at how nice this figure is. No it’s not in the ‘Awesomesauce’ category, but it is plenty good. Excellent detailing, mobility and sturdy plastic make this a fun figure. It’s easily recognizable as to who the figure is supposed to be. A plethora of unnecessary weaponry makes it that much more fun as it can be added to other figures. Yes – pricing is a bit steep but I don’t think it detracts from the value of the figure – other than resale value. Out of 10 – I would give it a solid 7, - points deducted for no rolling wheels, and the lack of ‘WOW’ factor for me. Still – great for a legends scaled figure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	magnus cab2.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	28853   Click image for larger version

Name:	magnus cab3.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	28854   Click image for larger version

Name:	magnus cab4.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	28855   Click image for larger version

Name:	magnus-extras.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	28856   Click image for larger version

Name:	magnus-head.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	28857  

Name:	hammer1.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	28858   Click image for larger version

Name:	hammer2.jpg
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	28859   Click image for larger version

Name:	arms.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	28860   Click image for larger version

Name:	magnus2-web.jpg
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	28861   Click image for larger version

Name:	magnus3-web.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	28862  

Name:	magnus-cab-web.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	28863  

feedback :http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=31815

Last edited by Slayback; 06-21-2015 at 10:20 PM.
Slayback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:24 PM   #2
Matrix_Holder
The chosen one
Re: IF -EX04 City Commander

Thanks for the review dude, can't wait to pick mine up and throw some cash atcha. Haha.
Matrix_Holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:06 AM   #3
Pascal
Banned

I still don't understand why someone during the designing process thought non functional wheels would be a good idea.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:43 PM   #4
DesertDog
Beast Machine

The two pairs of wheels on the red part behind the cab apparently roll according to some owners on TFW2005.

I'm looking forward to mine, especially after Windsaber/Iron Maiden.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:18 AM   #5
Slayback
Animated

They rotate slightly... hardly roll.

feedback :http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=31815
Slayback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:08 AM   #6
Longshot
Pretender

Great review! Wasn't going to get it but worth considering now.
Longshot is offline   Reply With Quote