Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Old 11-26-2010, 08:20 PM   #101
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..
Re: hydrogen peroxide vs sun fading tested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefro View Post
Here are the finished parts minus the 2 larger pieces as I had to do them after once I found a jar they'd fit into it so their not shown in the after picture.

PIC REMOVED

But man does the hydrogen peroxide do a wonderful job of restoring him but there are a few things you need to watch out for which I"ll explain in the write up.
Holy cow, great job. Looks fantastic...another believer (join the club)
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:25 PM   #102
Leozak
Robots in the skies!
Leozak's Ebay Auctions

Wow! Very impressive, Jefro!

I'm still waiting to see how coloured parts are affected by this solution :>
Leozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #103
N5omniac
Generation 1

Amazing! this solves a lot of problems! I just found my old R.O.B. the robot (for Nintendo NES) and sadly it has turned colors...about like that jetfire. I can't wait to try this method out!!! let that Florida sun finally be worth sumtn. I might post some pics up if anymore samples are needed. ....on that note (side topic) any recommendations for plastic chrome plating? where to send off or is there a thread on that? (haven't looked)
N5omniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:36 PM   #104
chans formers
raff ow roud

i completely forgot to post these w.i.p. pics.
if you went to tfcon2010 this year and attended the kitbashing/customizing panel hosted by dak,then you've seen these pics.
first up is a really badly sunburnt g1 protectobot hotspot.the poor bot is damn near brown.

after the "spa" treatment.i went and also proved a theory that it actually "is" uv rays that do the work.i masked off parts in certain areas with black electrical tape(really messy to clean when the adhesive on the tape lets go),thereby creating a half and half bot.
half back to normal,half still fried.

see where there was a price tag on the back of his leg?

colors are safe to do,just keep a close watch and stir very often,almost borderline ocd

Last edited by chans formers; 11-27-2010 at 10:38 PM.
chans formers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:38 PM   #105
Jefro
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by leozak View Post
Wow! Very impressive, Jefro!

I'm still waiting to see how coloured parts are affected by this solution :>
I have got quite a few of the Trypticon parts soaking at the moment but it will be another few days before they are back to their proper color. I also have a bunch of the Metroplex pieces soaking and their coming along nicely as well. But odds are I'll be another week at least just to finish the rest of the Metroplex/Trypticon stuff before I move onto the Jetfire.
Jefro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:46 PM   #106
chans formers
raff ow roud

another one.
this was a junker g1 ratchet that's seen way too many rays.

only his rear repair skiff thing was treated,mostly to show the difference when he's transformed again.

after

transformed comparison.notice how much darker the untreated front fenders/bot mode arms are now.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:04 PM   #107
Jefro
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by chans formers View Post
colors are safe to do,just keep a close watch and stir very often,almost borderline ocd
Why is this ? What happens exactly if you don't stir often enough. And what do you while over night or daily while off at work ? I try to stir the parts up at least every 2hrs but over night/daily at work its rather hard to do so. So do you remove the parts from their bath during these periods ?
Old 11-27-2010, 11:12 PM   #108
chans formers
raff ow roud

i do remove them,and rinse/scrub them with sunlight dish soap.
the main reason for the stirring is that although the bubbles that are created will lift your parts to the top of the container,what ever's right directly under the floating pile of parts will not recieve the needed uv.
think of a rotisserie,if it didn't spin,you would have a half raw and half burnt chicken.

on the starsaber i treated,i had one of his shoulder halves that needed further treatment because i wasn't paying attention and left it for too long,not noticing that a thigh halve was covering half of it.i ended up with a distinct line across the shoulder until i re-treated it.lesson learned
Old 11-27-2010, 11:19 PM   #109
Jefro
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by chans formers View Post
i do remove them,and rinse/scrub them with sunlight dish soap.
the main reason for the stirring is that although the bubbles that are created will lift your parts to the top of the container,what ever's right directly under the floating pile of parts will not recieve the needed uv.
think of a rotisserie,if it didn't spin,you would have a half raw and half burnt chicken.

on the starsaber i treated,i had one of his shoulder halves that needed further treatment because i wasn't paying attention and left it for too long,not noticing that a thigh halve was covering half of it.i ended up with a distinct line across the shoulder until i re-treated it.lesson learned
Got'cha...

I was going to add in my jetfire write up that minimizing the amount of parts you put in 1 jar will greatly improve the amount of light transfer through the jar as well as eliminate covering/shading due to parts covering one another etc.

I've also noticed an issue while stirring in regards to paint/stickers... the contact/scrapping of other parts can rip up/remove stickers as well as put lines/marks into the paint. Which is another reason to limit the amount of parts you put in 1 jar unless you either A) don't care about stickers or B) the figure has no paint apps.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:52 AM   #110
N5omniac
Generation 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefro View Post
Why is this ? What happens exactly if you don't stir often enough. And what do you while over night or daily while off at work ? I try to stir the parts up at least every 2hrs but over night/daily at work its rather hard to do so. So do you remove the parts from their bath during these periods ?
and to add to this question... what about a casserole/baking dish, like a 15" x 10" x 2", that'll allow me to lay everything flat, and cover it with the glass top allowing sun to hit all directions. is 'stirring' as important? I mean, having them layed out and not touching really would allow the bubbles to rise.

i'm also wondering, i work in a lab with ultra sonic sinks...wonder if I could set up a peroxide bath in the sink with a UV light on it.. hhmmmmm, I might have to try it out
N5omniac is offline   Reply With Quote